24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-02-2018, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default The dreaded planning stages...

Hey guys!

I have been lurking on this forum for sometime and trying to do research and learn. I am seeking to build or get roller. Trouble is visiting all the manufacturers websites is a bit overwhelming. So far I have researched FF5, Superformance, Unique, Hurricane, and today, I spent all day reading about the ERA 427SC.

I'd to visit the track, dragstrip, and go cruising. Resale value isn't a big concern but I do want to look right, however. I prefer the 15" wheel look over the 17 or 18. Sorry call me, "old school." I seem to like the 'street' fender flares over the Comp version. I can't stand glasspacks and never liked them when I was in High school. I would love the IRS but concerned about power limits of the axles. Traction breaks a lot of stuff.

Powerplant is a minimum of 580 Hp of big block Buick Stage 2 power on pump gas. Whatever the build gives me with 380-400cfm I am looking higher. At this point I want old school... carbs! Yes, a Buick! I haven't built an engine since 90s from stockers to all out 1400hp Buick v6 turbo. I dont do the norm although my old business we did a lot fords...

The trans.. TKO600.

...signed still overwhelmed...
Old 05-03-2018, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Have you gone to look at cobras from the various manufactures that you are considering? Put some feelers out, tell people where you live. There might be some cobras a short drive away that you can look at and this may help you figure what you want and what you don't want. Good luck.

Jim
Old 05-03-2018, 03:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Also look at your size and see which ones you can get that would be comfortable for you to get in and out of. If you plan to do a lot of drag racing I think I would look at a straight rear end but for road racing I like the IRS and have never broken anything. The power that you are looking to have is more suited to straight line than road racing as you won't find to many tracks where they have long enough straights to really use all of it. Good luck and I hope that you find one soon. If you can go to some of the Cobra meets in your area and talk to the owners and look mat their cars. That is one of the best ways to help decide just what you may want.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-03-2018, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guys thank you very much for the responses! I have asked on the factory 5 forum for owners in the Western New York area and I plan to visit then soon. I have yet to ask the other companies about owners in my area which I will also do soon.

I did see the defunct street beast body which I was not impressed at all.I am also planning to go see the superformance dealer in the area.

You might have a valid point about the power output suited more for straight line however that's how I roll!
Old 05-03-2018, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Go see Rick in Clarence Center if you are in western NY. He will have some cars for you to look at. I am a little south of Rochester if you want to take a look at mine to get an idea of quality of work. Can't take you for a drive as it is a dedicated race car. Good luck.

Jim
Old 05-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdata View Post
I would love the IRS but concerned about power limits of the axles. Traction breaks a lot of stuff.
Just put in hi-strength stub axles and your typical Jag based IRS will serve you very well at the extra-high horsepower numbers. There are a lot of downsides to not having an IRS in these cars if you're doing any sort of driving other than drag racing.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim,

I have contacted Rick. Funny how you should say that! he is sent me the brochure and the Cos she. I am planning to do an appointment with him as soon as I get a free weekend which hopefully is soon.

Patrick,

I emails Bob of ERA about that he said there is an additional charge for the better axles. Thank you for the information.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Even if you don't go with ERA (which will do the heavy lifting for you), Mark Williams Enterprises will set you up with the hi-strength parts should you need to "beef up" your rear. Their web site is actually one of the better ones and you can get an idea what, say, stronger stub axles will cost, or "really stronger" stub axles will cost. https://www.markwilliams.com/axles.html Every now and then someone will pretzel their half shafts too, but usually it's the stub axles.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Partick,

For a Jag/dana44 IRS?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Partick,

For a Jag/dana44 IRS?
Correctumundo. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if ERA didn't source some of their super-strong parts from MW Enterprises.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Correctumundo. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if ERA didn't source some of their super-strong parts from MW Enterprises.

Very interesting..if I go the ERA, I would do the outboard brakes vsriant
Old 05-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Very interesting..if I go the ERA, I would do the outboard brakes vsriant
That what I have -- it's a work of art. And I don't have the chrome-moly stubs, my tires break loose long before the stubs would twist.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That what I have -- it's a work of art. And I don't have the chrome-moly stubs, my tires break loose long before the stubs would twist.
What's your build?
Old 05-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
What's your build?
ERA #732 -- with every option available except the squirt bottle for the windshield wipers.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks! I am currently browsing the ERA manual. I am probably going to have questions. I'll probably read the Unique next
Old 05-10-2018, 05:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks! I am currently browsing the ERA manual. I am probably going to have questions. I'll probably read the Unique next
The more you learn, the better. But, there is really no comparing the two....
Old 05-10-2018, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The more you learn, the better. But, there is really no comparing the two....
I would like the Cliff notes version. Please..😁
Old 05-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I would like the Cliff notes version. Please..��
There are no short cuts to fully understanding the differences. The manual is very good, but is more down in the technical weeds. Start with something more like this, and then work your way up: http://www.erareplicas.com/brochure/427sc.pdf and this http://www.erareplicas.com/427/427options.pdf Note that the latter price list is almost six years old, but still very informative.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Patrick,

I have read most of the documentation on their website. In fact, Bob has sent me the current pricelist. ��
Old 05-11-2018, 07:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey Patrick,

I have read most of the documentation on their website. In fact, Bob has sent me the current pricelist. ��
Has he mentioned what the current wait time is for a car? If you're serious about one, you should place a deposit down and get in line. It's fully refundable and you'll have plenty of time to change your mind and get your money back.