Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Iconic Cobra publicity photo. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/140629-iconic-cobra-publicity-photo.html)

my427cobra 03-21-2018 01:27 PM

Iconic Cobra publicity photo.

2 Attachment(s)
This to me is one of the most iconic of the Cobra publicity photos.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...mbs/img214.jpg

As a snowbird teenager, this California photo was forever burned into my memory and after many cars in my past, I finally built the car of that dream some 10 years ago.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...umbs/00215.JPG

So this summer I'm going to drive my Cobra to the same spot as that publicity photo and duplicate that photo with my car in it.

Here are a couple of Google images of the location.

Cheers
Greg

jhv48 03-21-2018 03:11 PM

That girl in the photo is going to be pretty old by now. I bet the car weathered the years better than she did.

streetrod1927 03-21-2018 04:19 PM

Iconic photo

Go for it, you only go by one time......Note the missing center cap on the rear driver side wheel....

patrickt 03-21-2018 06:00 PM

Uhhhh, just Photoshop it and then tell everybody you went there.:cool:

sd427 03-22-2018 05:53 AM

If you like, let us know when, and those of us in the area can join you.

CSX 4133 03-22-2018 06:13 AM

Could be fun, just don't be too surprised to find the area has changed.

my427cobra 03-22-2018 07:25 AM

The girl in the photo? May have to use photoshop.

The missing rear center cap? I think it was common for the 427 street roadsters to have center caps only on the front. Don't know why. I don't run any because I think it looks better/tougher/racier.

I drive that stretch of road quite often and the view looks pretty much the same except for all the new catch fencing CalTrans has put up on the hill side to mitigate falling rock and hillside slumps/mini slides.

I'll keep you all posted as to a date for those who might want to make a lunch run up past Malibu.

Cheers
Greg

my427cobra 03-22-2018 07:30 AM

Might have to be a morning run to the location. The shadowing in the original publicity photo looks like mid to late morning. Certainly before noon.

Anal or what?

Cheers
Greg

keezling 03-22-2018 09:59 AM

Already touched on, but photo will feature granddaughter or great granddaughter??? (Not a bad thing btw)

my427cobra 03-22-2018 10:03 AM

Yup. We're that old already!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Greg

Karl Bebout 03-22-2018 11:45 AM

The PCH suffered some pretty severe rock/mud slides last year and I don't know if you'll be able to access the area. I've driven it a few times, starting in '69 when there were big signs stating "the next 56 miles are not patrolled dusk to dawn", or something like that. Much of the road has been greatly widened, shored up, and even relocated in attempts to keep it from falling into the sea. Still breath taking, amazing, and "as seen on TV". Good luck. Looking forward to your results.

TimG427 03-22-2018 12:24 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing the final picture.

cycleguy55 03-22-2018 01:41 PM

Is this anywhere near where Tony Maxey drove CSX 3303 over a cliff and into the Pacific Ocean?

Cobra #3170 03-22-2018 03:59 PM

Center cap

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetrod1927 (Post 1440977)
Go for it, you only go by one time......Note the missing center cap on the rear driver side wheel....

Original cars came with center cap/grease cap on front wheels only

patrickt 03-22-2018 04:05 PM

Nothing like a sandy beach and a Cobra with no rear wheel caps to give you the opportunity to experience pulling your rear hubs out of the carrier.;)

my427cobra 03-22-2018 04:16 PM

Over a cliff. Don't think it was here. Only about a 10 or 12 ft drop to the beach.

And I certainly won't drive on the beach without sand paddle tires.

Cheers
Greg

my427cobra 03-22-2018 04:28 PM

I'm surprised that no one has commented on the snakeskin overlay I put on the sat pics.

Cheers
Greg

CSX3183 03-22-2018 04:50 PM

Of course 3170 is correct. Cars only had center caps/grease caps on the front, to protect the bearings, there aren't any bearings on the rear.

So every guy who had caps on the rear, is incorrect, if trying to be original looking.

cobrakiwi 03-22-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX3183 (Post 1441035)
Of course 3170 is correct. Cars only had center caps/grease caps on the front, to protect the bearings, there aren't any bearings on the rear.

So every guy who had caps on the rear, is incorrect, if trying to be original looking.

There are indeed bearings in the rear uprights/ hubs, the hole in question is a blind hole.

patrickt 03-22-2018 05:09 PM

But who of us has original style axles and hubs? Most of us with Jag based IRS rear suspensions have a big castle nut in the hub on the end of the stub axle on the outside of the wheel.:cool: