17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 03:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
If it removes the spinner now.....I don’t think I would be in a hurry to change it....especially if the tool is in question.....
Hmmm, point taken. OTOH, how will I ever know how much torque it will take if I don't blow it up?
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

FYI... Vintage Wheel has two types of threaded hex nuts.

SPINNERS ,HEX NUTS ,LUG COVERS : Vintage Wheels, Mustang, Hot Rod and Muscle Car

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 04-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well obviously the only way I get you nay-sayers to STFU is to post video. So here it is: https://youtu.be/CmkGZXKI3PA and I'll start using personal protective devices next time.

No Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones voiceover?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:06 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I can’t remember the guy’s name.....but he is in Torrance CA. And made a lot of parts for the fellow that builds and refurbishes Cobra’s at the Torrance Airport....

Mike something.....
Mike McCluskey is of course the restorer at Zamperini Field but I believe you're talking about George Petrus of cobraracing.com. He has since passed away and his son has "taken over". I've been to his new shop (his son is a machinist too) and even purchased parts but communication is spotty.

If I'm not mistaken, the nuts from Vintage are ally and the ones from Cobra Racing are SS.
Zoomed View
Morris likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Mike McCluskey is of course the restorer at Zamperini Field but I believe you're talking about George Petrus of cobraracing.com. He has since passed away and his son has "taken over". I've been to his new shop (his son is a machinist too) and even purchased parts but communication is spotty.

If I'm not mistaken, the nuts from Vintage are ally and the ones from Cobra Racing are SS.
Zoomed View
Thank You.....sometimes it takes a few turns for my brain to catch my mouth....
Old 04-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thank You.....sometimes it takes a few turns for my brain to catch my mouth....
Ha!
In my case it would take the full 3/4" impact gun.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well I was thinking "if it's good enough for DanEC and Morris..." but I can't find a half-inch drive torque extension stick at anywhere near 450 ft/lbs. My impact gun has no torque limiting switch for "reverse mode." So, tightening the passenger side spinners will have to have something, like a torque stick, on them (especially when I go up to the 1/2" hose, which I've already ordered).
Old 04-09-2018, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well I was thinking "if it's good enough for DanEC and Morris..." but I can't find a half-inch drive torque extension stick at anywhere near 450 ft/lbs. My impact gun has no torque limiting switch for "reverse mode." So, tightening the passenger side spinners will have to have something, like a torque stick, on them (especially when I go up to the 1/2" hose, which I've already ordered).
use a mirror.......
Old 04-10-2018, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
https://youtu.be/X8kCWG3d1Cc

Watch and learn.............
My thoughts after watching this video - I must be putting entirely too much effort into tightening the spinners on my ERA and 66 Vette. Even with a 6 lb hammer I use both hands and use pretty short but hard licks.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch Built with 482 FE
Not Ranked     

Thanks Morris for the info on the centerlocks. Also thanks Rodney and CSX4133 for additional info. I dont have the need for quick tire changes, but like that theres an impact friendly solution out there without ally tools or nuts.

SB
Old 04-11-2018, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here’s a photo of the SS center-locks with the tie-down locks and the race locks

Morris,
What is the purpose of the center locks? How do they work?
Old 04-11-2018, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Center lock Torque

Quote:
Patrick

We use a 2.75” socket on our SS nuts ....torqued to 450# lbs. of torque to put them on......

And if we remove them with the torque wrench .....it takes over 600# of torque to take them off.....with the 3/4” impact and a 1/2” hose it knocks them right off....

Yes we use the impact to put them on as well.....

BTW......the 2.75” Socket is standard size for the Center-lock wheels used in TransAm and IMSA....
Porsche is 450 Ft/lb also, I bought a 4' torque wrench to install on my GT3 and it takes a 6' breaker bar to remove. I have given myself carpal tunnel in both hands banging on the knock offs so now I need to follow Morris lead and get SS nuts. I can no longer even swing my lead knock off hammer.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Porsche is 450 Ft/lb also, I bought a 4' torque wrench to install on my GT3 and it takes a 6' breaker bar to remove. I have given myself carpal tunnel in both hands banging on the knock offs so now I need to follow Morris lead and get SS nuts. I can no longer even swing my lead knock off hammer.
Well I just put the half inch hose, and appropriate fittings, on the AirCat and tool and it did indeed make a nice difference.. How much, I can't really tell. I still have no way to torque them down accurately with my gun and tool, and I can't find a torque stick that will fit my half inch gun, so I'll just keep whacking them with the Mutha Thumper hammer to put them on and use my tool to remove them.

Last edited by patrickt; 04-11-2018 at 03:40 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ACHiPo

The term Center-Lok is used because it's easier in a Race to remove only one Nut as apposed to removing like NASCAR 5 nuts....... In IMSA, Trans-Am and other type of Hi-performance vehicles the Center-Lok actually is the fastner of choice and easier.

On the back side of the Wheel are holes that match the hub studs, so all you do is put the wheel on the hub and rotate until the Studs line up with the holes in the back side of the wheel and the wheel slides right on the studs ... then one big Nut or Center-Lok tightens the wheel to the Hub.

The most important part of this is making sure the Nuts and the wheel have the same mating surface and that the angle is the same on the wheels and the nut.

Here's the Studs and the Center-Lok

Here's the nut with a pattern on the nut showing the patter of the wheel and nut mating surface.

Here's the wheel pattern and nut pattern

Thats why you need 450#lbs to prevent them from coming off.... and the Anti-Seize and a big bar or Impact Gun to get them off...

It is much easier using a 3/4"inch Impact gun to get them off.... and if you are using Nitrogen and a nut is overly tight ....we just turn the regulator on the tank up to 300# and the nut will come right off.... but normal 175#lbs a/c with knock any nut off...

Sorry for the long post.... just trying to explain.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Bruce

Once you change.... you'll wish you had done it many years ago.....Plus it's easy and a 3/4"inch gun will take them off and put them on....many times we have just put them on until the gun slows down hammering and go to the track... no torque wrench and never had a failure.... that size gun when it is slowing down or stops usually is about 500#lbs of torque anyway...
Good luck and spin the nuts the right way....
Old 04-11-2018, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
ACHiPo

The term Center-Lok is used because it's easier in a Race to remove only one Nut as apposed to removing like NASCAR 5 nuts....... In IMSA, Trans-Am and other type of Hi-performance vehicles the Center-Lok actually is the fastner of choice and easier.

On the back side of the Wheel are holes that match the hub studs, so all you do is put the wheel on the hub and rotate until the Studs line up with the holes in the back side of the wheel and the wheel slides right on the studs ... then one big Nut or Center-Lok tightens the wheel to the Hub.

The most important part of this is making sure the Nuts and the wheel have the same mating surface and that the angle is the same on the wheels and the nut.

Here's the Studs and the Center-Lok

Here's the nut with a pattern on the nut showing the patter of the wheel and nut mating surface.

Here's the wheel pattern and nut pattern

Thats why you need 450#lbs to prevent them from coming off.... and the Anti-Seize and a big bar or Impact Gun to get them off...

It is much easier using a 3/4"inch Impact gun to get them off.... and if you are using Nitrogen and a nut is overly tight ....we just turn the regulator on the tank up to 300# and the nut will come right off.... but normal 175#lbs a/c with knock any nut off...

Sorry for the long post.... just trying to explain.
Morris,
Thank you very much. I was trying to understand the "hoop", thinking it wasn't attached to the nut. Now I see that it acts as a guide so the nut stays in the impact socket and is less likely to be cross-threaded. I've seen the nuts before on Indy cars, et al, but I haven't seen the center lock hoop.

Evan
Old 04-11-2018, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Evan

There’s a misunderstanding here.......the Center-Lok is the Nut.........because it locks the wheel against the Hub......

The SS loop welded on to the Center-Lok Nut exactly in the same place on each nut is to tie the Cobra down in the trailer......we hook our straps to the loops on the Center-Lok Nuts and ratchet the car in position in the trailer......because the car is to low to strap anything underneath the bottom and because we have the Torsional plate and panels covering up all of the under side of KMP259.....

The reason you have to weld the loops on the Nuts in the same place on each nut is so you can buy a impact socket and machine out the slot for the loop and still slide the socket over the loop to engage the faces of the nut.....to install or remove the traveling nuts and install the racing nut that don’t have the loop mounted on them.....look at one of the first photo’s and you’ll see two different sockets to remove the nuts .....
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Evan

There’s a misunderstanding here.......the Center-Lok is the Nut.........because it locks the wheel against the Hub......

The SS loop welded on to the Center-Lok Nut exactly in the same place on each nut is to tie the Cobra down in the trailer......we hook our straps to the loops on the Center-Lok Nuts and ratchet the car in position in the trailer......because the car is to low to strap anything underneath the bottom and because we have the Torsional plate and panels covering up all of the under side of KMP259.....

The reason you have to weld the loops on the Nuts in the same place on each nut is so you can buy a impact socket and machine out the slot for the loop and still slide the socket over the loop to engage the faces of the nut.....to install or remove the traveling nuts and install the racing nut that don’t have the loop mounted on them.....look at one of the first photo’s and you’ll see two different sockets to remove the nuts .....
Morris,
Got it. Thanks!
Evan
Old 04-12-2018, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the explanation, Morris - I was wondering about the loops as well.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 04-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Thanks for the explanation, Morris - I was wondering about the loops as well.
... and they make "finger tightening" the nut easier as well.