• 1 Post By RallySnake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Is It Possible?

to have a stereo system in a Cobra? I mean one loud enough to hear. I have installed 3 in my car over the years. They are usually blown out after the first ride, Or, fried when I got caught in the rain. I am thinking about a waterproof system designed for a motorcycle or a boat.

When we run long distance events, it would be nice to Bluetooth a podcast or music to add some fun to long Interstate miles.

Have any of you managed this?

RS
Old 04-24-2018, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

It can be done fairly easily.
I mounted an alpine head unit in the boot (trunk) then fitted a mc-2 remote controller on the dashboard.
Also fitted a 3.5mm audio jack on the rear bulkhead for headphones (earbuds) with a headphone booster.
I have live sidepipes so it serves 2 purposes when required.
Alpine MC2 Add-On Wireless Remote Commander (MC-2) at Onlinecarstereo.com
The MC-2 is waterproof as it’s meant for a boats fly bridge.
I painted the face black so it blended with my gauges.
Hope that helps..
Cheers

Last edited by kyleb; 04-24-2018 at 05:56 PM..
Old 04-24-2018, 08:39 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

You might check out West Marine for waterproof components.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

Here in CA, it is illegal to drive while wearing headphones or earbuds. Your state may vary.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Seems like havign a radio to listen to when the motor is not running might be worthwhile.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySnake View Post
to have a stereo system in a Cobra? I mean one loud enough to hear. I have installed 3 in my car over the years. They are usually blown out after the first ride, Or, fried when I got caught in the rain. I am thinking about a waterproof system designed for a motorcycle or a boat.

When we run long distance events, it would be nice to Bluetooth a podcast or music to add some fun to long Interstate miles.

Have any of you managed this?

RS
buy a portable bluetooth wireless speaker ($50 from amazon) and play off your cellphone tunes
Old 04-25-2018, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I tried that. Bought a $200 Bose speaker, loudest I could find. Even at 50 mph cruise with the speaker at max volume, could not hear it. That's 45 watts. I expect it will take at least 2 channels at 100 watts to be heard over the wind and side pipes.

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-25-2018 at 05:50 PM..
Old 04-25-2018, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

KyleB,
Did you install speakers? If so, what kind and where?
Old 04-25-2018, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This project is to entertain my wife. We are planning to run the 4 day Targa California Rally in June. "Happy wife, ...... ...."

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-25-2018 at 05:56 PM..
Old 04-25-2018, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

I installed a couple of good quality Alpine speakers behind the seats, but the reason I have the booster and plug for the ear buds is so I don’t have to turn the music up so everybody else can hear it.
http://boostaroo.com/uses/earbud
A lot of people that have live sidepipes end up driving with an earplug in so they don’t end up deaf or at the very least with a severe case of tinnitus..
Killing 2 birds with one stone I guess.
There’s probably a better way of doing it these days I’m sure!!

Last edited by kyleb; 04-25-2018 at 06:27 PM..
Old 04-25-2018, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

I have no issues hearing my radio on the highway going triple digits or at full throttle, its a Fusion MS-RA205 Marine stereo. It was installed by Vintage Motorsports and I had them wire it up so I can switch it on when the car is off. The batteries in these cars are small so I dont use the radio alot when the car is off but it is a nice option to have. If you want to know more about the components then PM Cashburn here on the forum, he and his brother installed it for me. I tried posting some pics but they failed for some reason. Here is a link to pics of my Cobra with the radio in it.
The Gallery / Roadsters / BDR1555 | \\VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS
Old 04-26-2018, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I tried that. Bought a $200 Bose speaker, loudest I could find. Even at 50 mph cruise with the speaker at max volume, could not hear it. That's 45 watts. I expect it will take at least 2 channels at 100 watts to be heard over the wind and side pipes.
Keep in mind when doubling the amplifier output, you only increase the volume 3db. Hardly noticeable over a set of sidepipes. Look for speakers with a high sensitivity rating, they will play louder with the same amount of power (BOSE are not a highly sensitive speaker). Also, frequency response is an important factor in choosing speakers, many auto speakers don't reach the low end unless you go with larger round speakers. Another consideration is that sound pressure is is an important factor when it comes to volume, much is lost in an open cockpit going 50 mph.
That said, I was always a fanatic when it came to my auto and home stereos, but not for my Cobra. The sound of the 427 FE exhaling through the sidepipes is music to my ears. JMHO.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

KyleB
I do I understand the hearing problem. I had serious hearing loss a few years back. Replaced my mufflers with the largest Classic Chambered ones possible. My hearing has improved enough to understand most conversations.

Millsy,
Very nice car! The speaker enclosures take up a lot of space but provide much more sound pressure. I believe that you have set the goal for me. Thank you for the info. Love the engine!

RB60,
You are correct, but do you ever run long distances in your car? We are running a 7 hour event this Saturday (Welcome to ITN Rallye Club Home Page) and planning 4 day event in June (Targa California) and a little extra entertainment will be nice. I am going to stick with noise canceling ear buds until I can emulate Millsy's set up. Anything less is just a waste of money.
Millsy likes this.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

I have big hp and loud exhaust, you can hear the car coming from long way off. inside the car you don't hear the exhaust so much. Can easily carry on conversation. I don't have stereo but its nice to not be annoyed by exhaust. Pull carpet out and put the sound deadener in of your choice and put the carpet back. Pay attention to the doors and floors , stuff is used in street rods and custom cars always. Dynamat is a good brand. FWIW
Old 05-02-2018, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobura View Post
Here in CA, it is illegal to drive while wearing headphones or earbuds. Your state may vary.
95% of everything i do and own is illegal in CA......
Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
KyleB
I do I understand the hearing problem. I had serious hearing loss a few years back. Replaced my mufflers with the largest Classic Chambered ones possible. My hearing has improved enough to understand most conversations.

Millsy,
Very nice car! The speaker enclosures take up a lot of space but provide much more sound pressure. I believe that you have set the goal for me. Thank you for the info. Love the engine!

RB60,
You are correct, but do you ever run long distances in your car? We are running a 7 hour event this Saturday (Welcome to ITN Rallye Club Home Page) and planning 4 day event in June (Targa California) and a little extra entertainment will be nice. I am going to stick with noise canceling ear buds until I can emulate Millsy's set up. Anything less is just a waste of money.
To answer your question, no, I haven't run long distances (no more than 2 1/2 hrs. so far) in my Cobra. And I'm not trying to talk you out of a sound system for your car. I just tried to give you a little insight on how much power you'll need to overcome the "exhaust notes" (mine is quite loud) and maintain a little sound quality because much is lost in an open cockpit.
That said, have a safe and enjoyable "event"