LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2018, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Depends. If you want to get 550hp out of a 289, then it would be so radical that it would be tough to drive and probably not that much fun. But 550 hp out of big block stroker is pretty mellow.

The theoretical big block stroker only makes 550hp when you want it to. Only when you mash the go pedal. Other than that, it makes a lot less power. There's that whole control thing again.

The FE is a medium block in the Ford world.

The question is, what exactly Is the point of 550HP in a sub-3,000# car on the street?
xb-60 and ScratchBuilder like this.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     

It's all a matter of supply/parts availability.

If you are building a 4.250 bore side-oiler, you have three choices if you want a new crankshaft:
  • 3.984 (428 crank) but it uses Ford style rods and limited bearing availability
  • 4.125 with Chevy rods and bearings
  • 4.250 with Chevy rods and bearings

No one makes a new 3.784 crank, so you have to go with a used one or pay dearly to have one custom made.

The 428 crank (3.984) uses Ford rods and the same original size bearings. When fitting the crank, you have to buy complete sets of bearings to get the sizes you need. Depending on how things workout, it is conceivable you'd need to buy multiple sets to come up with the combination you want.

With the two longer strokes, they use a chevy sized bearing and are available individually so you can mix & match as needed. Also some may argue the longer rod gives a little better geometry.

I'm in the process of building another FE and would love to go with a standard stroke/bore unit - but it just isn't doable - at least I haven't found a way to do it and still use new parts that my budget will allow.

Paul
xb-60 likes this.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Glen,

My take is that once he went with the aluminum block, the originality went out the window. I have an Shelby aluminum block at 468 CID and about 520 HP and torque. With the engine I have, I find I can spin tires pretty easily. I also have the mild compression at 10:1 and a mild hydraulic cam and it runs great on pump gas. I cannot speak for others, but the setup works well. No one would know the true CID without looking at the build sheets so why not?

Phil
Phil, I understand what you're saying about originality having left the building and then it's open-slather on displacement after that....but my thinking is that surely a Cobra is a sportscar, so why fit a massive (in CID terms), super-torquey engine that spins the tyres easily?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-24-2018, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
FIFY.

"Originality" of a replica? .....
Originality of a replica? Rod, are you telling me you would have considered putting a Chev engine in your Kirkham?
I'm assuming that your engine selection was restricted to a choice of one....yes?

Cheers!
Glen
Old 05-24-2018, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
I would be worried about 48IDA Webers being able to support much more displacement. I thought they were pretty near their limit at 427 cubic inches.
With a 45 venturi, that should be enough for a street combo.

Then if that's not enough, make them venturi-less with a spray-bar auxilary venturi.

Gary
Old 05-24-2018, 06:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Originality of a replica? Rod, are you telling me you would have considered putting a Chev engine in your Kirkham?
I'm assuming that your engine selection was restricted to a choice of one....yes?

Cheers!
Glen
Yawn.

Personally, I would have put a Chevy LS engine like the Aussies do, but when a Kirkham comes up for sale in the States, they nearly always have FE’s. So, resale or money was a factor. And the FE was just a plain easy and headache free installation. And I appreciate the easy path.

What I didn’t do, is install a toploader, date coded side oiler, Shelby badges, Smith gauges, ID plate, paint, etc., or even buy a CSX, to achieve the most “accurate replica.”

Last edited by RodKnock; 05-24-2018 at 07:12 AM..
Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
So since my 427 is stroked with a 428 crank does that make it almost stock or stockish enough???
I would say stockish enough since many Cobras were delivered with 428s - the crank and all. 427 block and 428 crank - should be good - it all came in various Cobras at the time.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

Glen,

I think the answer is many reasons. They are:

1) drive ability (lesser cam needed), hydraulics and factory rockers are still good.
2) parts availability
3) no visible difference except in performance
4) sometimes the additional HP does get called on
5) you can street it without spinning the tires (a lot)
6) The originals were not far off 500 HP with worse tires, suspension, etc.
7) the newer tires, 5 speeds, reward end ratios, all provide support for the higher horsepower.

I did not select my engine, simply bought the car shortly after the build. The lightweight aluminum was a plus to the hp and ERA car.

Phil
Dwight, Blue66 and xb-60 like this.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well, just remember that if you put any engine in a 427 style car other than an FE, children will cry at car shows when you open your hood, and the other Cobras that have FEs in them won't let you play in any of the Cobra games. You will eventually be banished to the land of misfit Cobras.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Two of my buddies have 427's in their Unique Cobras.
One is a '65 427 s.o. that Keith Craft stroked to 487. It has something like 620 fwhp and 630 fwtq. 9 to 1 compression. Very street-able. I've driven it a lot.
I had it at 7,000 in third gear and 6,700 in fourth. 3550 Tremec. 12" wide rear rims and lots of tire. Fast when you want it to be.

The other is a Pond's aluminum block 482 build by Keith Craft. 9.5 to 1 with TKO 600 630 fwhp & 640 fwtq. Very street-able.

Both will cruise in 5th (.84 ) at 1800 rpms with out the trailer hitch jerk.

And like someone said "it's a replica".

And 98% of the people that look under the hood "don't know"

Remember, Shelby sold a lot of 428 Cobra with 427 badges. So what is real?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You will eventually be banished to the land of misfit Cobras.
Banished along side the beige colored Cobra.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Why wouldn't you?
The cost to build is the same.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Why wouldn't you?
The cost to build is the same.
I wondered when you'd jump in, Mr. D

OK, must admit, in the interests of full disclosure, yes my 289FIA will be powered by a 302, and the 'chassis' is a monocoque

Cheers!
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 05-26-2018 at 12:24 AM..
Old 05-25-2018, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I used to have a brother in law who once bragged to me that he had a GTO, a harley and a 44 Magnum. Only the biggest of every compensator was good enough for him.

Lets face it any 427 Cobra replica is a major compensator for most owners (not me of course)

For my own goals, I'd just love to get it running right so I can go out and scare the wee out of myself!
xb-60 likes this.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:01 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

There you go Glen, I believe you have your answer, everyone has their opinion, and this is why I like this club, so much, no wrong answer's Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive my neighbors 66 Chevelle (Well built)427 4-speed to a car show. Heavy car compared to our Cobra's, but sure pull's hard, and easily break's the tires loose in the first two gears. Nothing like a Big Block to put a smile on your face Cheers Tom.
xb-60 and Jdata like this.