• 1 Post By Cobra #3170

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Goodguys Summer get together

We ran CSX3170 at the Summer event and won the pro class and the Sunday shootout and set fastest time of the event. But..... we were in second place
when they shut down Saturday afternoon and although we won it was only by.8 second on Sunday not as much of a margin as the last event. The course was even tighter than last time and the tightest Goodguys I have ever seen. It is hard to hammer the competition when we can't use the acceleration on them. We are learning more about tuning the car every time out. The drive shaft speed sensor worked perfectly but the traction control activated light did not. I installed an LED in Scott's helmet so that he would have a visual warning when traction was broken. The traction control actually works but it worked so well on the first run that I deactivated it after that. I need to spend time learning to tune it so it is not intrusive. We have new front shocks this year with divergent pistons that cap maximum force above a specific shaft speed. Seemed like a good idea, the car really puts power down but the front end jumps up about 3". When the throttle is dropped and brakes applied the front drops way down initially and we get a touch of front end push on turn in. The old shock pistons seemed to be a better compromise between turn in and and power down so we will probably go back. The engine is really starting to work now and we are finding that it can take a bunch more throttle at lower RPM than the 498 could. We started adding secondary opening angle on Sunday and picked up 3 mph on the initial straight. I watched the data traces and Scott was on the floor 7 different places on Saturday on Sunday's last run he only had 100% throttle in two places. This engine does not make peak torque until 7500 rpm (54 mph in low) so driving it is similar to a turbo car, you lean on it and then pull back as it gets on the cam. The chassis ride height was still off too we had it too low in the rear but did not change after the shoot out started. WE actually went faster under the worst conditions of the day when grip was down so I think our chassis tune is coming around. We got 1.4 G lateral load on Sunday Morning before chassis and engine improvements. When it got hot and slippery due to oil coming out of the asphalt we slipped to 1.22 G.
We are on concrete next weekend so will need a different chassis and engine set up. We ran it at the Crows Landing test course 2 weeks ago and equaled the best time my GT3 Porsche ever ran in 2 runs scuffing tires so we are pretty happy with the new engine now. He hits 9150 rpm on the initial straight in the attached video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2SKCFfofNo
Snake2998 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Congratulations, spectacular run ! You and Scott are doing a fantastic job, making all us "Walter Mitty" guys proud of our choice in automobiles, albeit not exactly quite like Yours !
What's next ?

Ted
Old 06-04-2018, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Nice run! Car sounds nice. Good luck in the weeks ahead. You do know that you will never stop tuning the car There will always be one more little thing that will make the car just a little faster....

Jim
Old 06-04-2018, 06:01 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Dayum, that thing sh!ts and gets!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-04-2018, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

Keep posting - I love your posts. 1.4G on street tyres is so impressive.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Cool! Did you run all of it in first gear?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default first gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Cool! Did you run all of it in first gear?
Yes, it is all first gear it is limited 9300 which is good for 68mph. the engine has a very broad working range due to light weight of the car and rpm range. On bigger autox courses we use 2nd and that has a working range of 35 mph to 87 mph and enough torque to start from a dead stop. The Goodguys stuff goes down to 18 mph in the really tight stuff so we had to go to a 4.88 to get in a decent operating range.
This is an old video that is with a 3.31 rear gear and the 498 cid engine it was good for 84 in low but port velocity was so low it would barely run on GG courses. The car isn't bad on high speed stuff either peak speed here was about 118 mph. Apologies for the re-post but it helps to hear the old engine vs this engine like David and Goliath but similar results,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hedlRC4-Y1Q
ScratchBuilder likes this.