• 1 Post By csw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2018, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #949, 392 FMS
Not Ranked     
Default Ceramic Paint Coating

I have seen some before and after pictures of how good a friend’s Cobra looks, but most paint and body guys I’ve talked to have not heard of ceramic paint coating. From talking to the guy who did the Cobra, they do paint correction, buff, then do the coating, which seems to be a thicker layer of wax/clear. The Cobra that was done looks showroom quality, but didn’t know if anyone here has any experience with this type of product. My fear is the unknown, but from what I’ve read, it basically can be buffed off and is supposed to provide 5-10 years of protection (cost isn’t bad when you look at it that way). The initial cost seemed high($800-1000), but seems to be a labor intensive job as most of the coating kits can be bought for under $100 online, not saying it’s the same product that might be used commercially, but looks like a lot of the result will come down to the guy behind the buffer. If you have experience or thoughts, please feel free to chime in.

Last edited by csw; 06-21-2018 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 06-21-2018, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The company I work for uses Permagard on all the Recip Prop, Turboprop, Jets and Helicopters we make. You can get it applied for car or boats as well. Hands down the shiniest stuff I've seen. Has to be applied by a certified applicator.
https://www.permagard.com
csw likes this.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had both my 69 NASCAR Cobra and the Coupe done with the ceramic coating and I really like it. They did everything by hand and spent a lot of time clay baring the whole cars and then cleaning them. Then they put on the ceramic coating by hand and it really made the paint look like new. After a few months it still looks as if it has just been painted and highly polished. Another thing is bugs and dust won't stick to them. I just take my California Car duster and run over them and the dust is gone and they look as if I just washed them. So I have been very happy and satisfied with the outcome.

Ron
csw likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-03-2018, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the info, I pulled the trigger and am having the coating and paint correction done today. I can’t wait to get home and see it in person, but the couple pictures that have been sent to me look incredible! I didn’t think my car looked that bad until they pulled out the lights and it showed all the scratches.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I'm curious - how did it come out? Noticeably worth it and lives up to the hype?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 07-05-2018, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To say I got the right guy would be an understatement. We all know the results are usually found in the prep work and he spend 15 hours over 2 days doing paint correction (removing swirls and imperfections). My car didn’t look this good or shine like this when I picked it up. I would recommend it to anyone, and this is from a skeptic who was on the fence a few weeks ago, but make sure you get the paint correction done with the coating. I’ll try to attach a few pictures, but if you are in the southeast, I’ll be happy to share his contact info.
Attached Images

Buzz likes this.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

The coating is very easy to apply, but you will have to take several items into consideration before undertaking it.
1. You will need to either detail your car (remove swirls, scratches, etc) either yourself or pay someone to detail your car.
2. You will need to apply the ceramic coating in a relatively controlled environment, preferably out of the sun, away from dust/insects and avoid high humidity.
3. The applicator and MF towels you use for this process will be thrown away afterward, they will not come clean no matter what and actually have embedded crystallized ceramic pieces in them.
4. Curing time (again inside a controlled environment) should be twelve hours.

Here's a video that shows a compressed version of the application technique/process. You might even want to consider the ceramic wheel coating as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeUTBeOSPYU

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 07-06-2018, 05:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

CSW,

Your car looks great and the guy that did my cars spent a lot of time getting everything out of the paint and all of the dirt off before he even started the ceramic process. I have been very happy with mine and took the 69 out for a drive the 4th and all I did was use my duster to wipe the dust off and it looks as if it had just been washed and polished.

Ron

Old 07-06-2018, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, he has way more patience than me to buff that long! Also that’s for the info and sharing your experience with the coating as that helped ease my apprehension of getting it done. I Just ordered and received a few products from gtechniq with regards to cleaning, but everything I’ve read said the care is really easier than usual, no waxing just dust it off and use a quick detailer for the bugs.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The results look fantastic! Does anybody know if static cling decals will still work after your car is ceramic coated?
Old 07-07-2018, 03:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The guy that did mine told me they would if you made sure that any dust was off but he also said that at speed they may slide off. I don't have any so I haven't had a chance to really try them to see if they stay on. Sorry that I can't be more help on this.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2lemans View Post
The results look fantastic! Does anybody know if static cling decals will still work after your car is ceramic coated?