Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2018, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Wire Wheels for 1962 Shelby Cobra Slabside (50th Anniversary Edition sold in 2012)

I would appreciate any information regarding the specifics for the original 1962 Shellby Cobra Slabside Wire Wheels (diameter, width, number of spokes, manufacturer, etc.) -- and/or the specifics for the Wire Wheels and tires on the 50th Anniversary Shelby Cobra (sold in 2012 -- black with red interior). I would like to put a set of these wheels (and tires) on a Shelby Cobra Slabside Tribute car. Please see photos of the wheels and tires for the 2012 50th Anniversary Edition Shelby Cobra Slabside below. Thanks in advance for your help and consideration -- Sincerely, David

Old 07-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Original Cobras used Dunlop wires. The Anniversary cars use a Dayton Wire Wheel, 15x6 72 spoke part number D464

http://daytonwirewheels.com/pdf/catalog_volume_92.pdf
joyridin' and David Collins like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Last edited by Mark IV; 07-05-2018 at 12:17 PM..
Old 07-05-2018, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Did you contact Shelby American?
David Collins likes this.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mainly, two different production Dunlop wire wheels were used on original Cobras. Generally, A 1962 car would have had a 15"x5.5" wheel. The later cars used a 15"x6" wheel. Lacing on the two wheels is different. Chrome or painted finish was also used and those are different from each other as well.
Larry
1985 CCX and David Collins like this.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:08 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Mainly, two different production Dunlop wire wheels were used on original Cobras. Generally, A 1962 car would have had a 15"x5.5" wheel. The later cars used a 15"x6" wheel. Lacing on the two wheels is different. Chrome or painted finish was also used and those are different from each other as well.
Larry
Correct, the 5.5" wheels .were "lip lace" wheels and the 6" are center lace.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Collins View Post
I would appreciate any information regarding the specifics for the original 1962 Shellby Cobra Slabside Wire Wheels (diameter, width, number of spokes, manufacturer, etc.) -- and/or the specifics for the Wire Wheels and tires on the 50th Anniversary Shelby Cobra (sold in 2012 -- black with red interior). I would like to put a set of these wheels (and tires) on a Shelby Cobra Slabside Tribute car. Please see photos of the wheels and tires for the 2012 50th Anniversary Edition Shelby Cobra Slabside below. Thanks in advance for your help and consideration -- Sincerely, David

Your car will need splined hubs if you don’t have those already.
Larry
Old 07-05-2018, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks to Mark IV, LMH and twojbshelbys for your replies and info.

1. twojbshelbys -- Yes, I have contacted Shelby American (several times) and their response was that they only deal with new/current Shelby Cobra parts and autos.

2. Mark IV -- Hopefully, I can get the later style Dayton 15"x6" wire wheels.

3. LMH -- I plan to use splined hubs.

I appreciate your help. Sincerely, David
Old 07-05-2018, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks to Mark IV, LMH and twojbshelbys for your replies and info.

1. twojbshelbys -- Yes, I have contacted Shelby American (several times) and their response was that they only deal with new/current Shelby Cobra parts and autos.
I suspect you mentioned the original. Try SAI again but this time mention the 50th anniversary version of the continuations.

You might also try Hillbank and Denbeste.

For the originals try to get ahold of Dave Murray at the Shelby American Collection. He's usually there on Saturday mornings when the museum is open. He restores originals and may have a source for the original wheels. Trust me they won't be cheap.
saltshaker and David Collins like this.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

To: twobjshelbys (Tony) -- Yes, I will definitely contact SAI again and be certain to ask for Dave Murray. Thanks very much for the additional info. Best wishes -- David
Old 07-05-2018, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
To: twobjshelbys (Tony) -- Yes, I will definitely contact SAI again and be certain to ask for Dave Murray. Thanks very much for the additional info. Best wishes -- David
Dave Murray is not at Shelby American (in Las Vegas). He is one of the principals (and Cobra restorer) at the Shelby American Collection (www.shelbyamericancollection.com) museum in Boulder, Colorado.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If it were me looking to buy wheels, I'd go directly to Dayton and buy from them or one of their distributors. Shop around. They aren't any different coming from Dayton or SAI or anybody else.
Just make sure you're looking at a Dayton D464.

Larry
Old 07-06-2018, 04:00 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The wheels Shelby used/uses are the Dayton D464. Trust me...just mounted a set for a 289 car.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Just to clear things up, I believe that Dayton is actually importing the Dunlop wheels (or components). They may or may not be assembled here by Dayton.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

As Rick eluded to, we have the information on the Dayton wheels in the CSX8000 and MKII Street Owners Manuals. I can send you that section of the Owners Manual if you like. Drop me an email.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 07-06-2018, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guys -- Thanks again for all the additional Dayton 464 wheel info and contact info for Dave Murray at SAI. Have a great weekend! Sincerely, David
Old 04-18-2019, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside 3013, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default spinners

Does anyone know where to find spinners with the AC logo for Dayton wire wheels? I bought the Dayton wheels and have their standard spinners. Thanks
Old 04-18-2019, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

The original 1960's wire wheels were manufactured by Dunlop and the part number for the 15x6 was D464. The earlier wheel was an outside laced 15x5.5, sorry I don't have the part number.

It is a little strange but the 50th Anniversary cars more closely resemble the later 289 Cobras than they do the earlier 260 Cobras, it gets confusing when mixing details.

Last edited by CompClassics; 04-18-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Old 04-18-2019, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgoeke View Post
Does anyone know where to find spinners with the AC logo for Dayton wire wheels? I bought the Dayton wheels and have their standard spinners. Thanks
MWS in England sells AC logo knock-offs. I thought Dayton did also but maybe not. There are probably other vendors as well but I know MWS does.
MWS

Larry
CompClassics likes this.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
The original 1960's wire wheels were manufactured by Dunlop and the part number for the 15x6 was D464. The earlier wheel was an outside laced 15x5.5, sorry I don't have the part number.

Information I have collected.
Cobras
6DM4408 was the standard road wheel for Cobras CSX2001 through CSX2164 Cobras (CSX2160 being the first car known to get the new wider design wheels.) was a Dunlop® made 15 inch X 5.5 inch (also written as 15X5.5) “bead laced” painted all steel heavy duty 72 wire spoke design that included clearance for disc type brakes. There was also an optional chrome plated version that was quite popular. Based on the AC chassis manual the model was Dunlop 6DM4408. Occasionally, early cars with painted wire wheels had wheels painted other colors besides silver. I have seen period images of white and black wheels.

X 464 is the 70 spoke “well laced” Dunlop assembly design designation for the 15X6 Cobra painted wire wheels. The number is stamped into the rim where it is hidden in use. I measured one of the original condition wheels from CSX2310 as having a 3-5/16 inch back spacing. Occasionally, early cars with painted wire wheels had wheels painted other colors besides silver. I have seen period images of black and red wheels.

XA464 is the 70 spoke “well laced” design code for 15X6 Cobra chrome plated wheels. The outer rims of the two designs are quite different. As far as I can tell it is illegal everywhere to make and sell new wheels in the XA464 design because they lack a modern safety feature.

Cobra 15X6 wheels are unique to AC Cars. They were literally the first wheel designed by anybody specifically for AC as far as I can tell. AC did manage to fit them to some other leaf spring chassis cars besides Cobras.

All reproductions, several companies in multiple countries on multiple continents, make wheels similar but not the same as the X 464 wheel SO FAR. Somebody sent me drawings they obtained from the two biggest reproducers and the wheels that make are definitely different than what Dunlop made for AC Cars.

AC 289 Sports
Before AC Cars stopped making what people loosely call some type Cobra, despite what anybody called them when new, AC Cars produced a number of running cars, cars without engines and transmissions, and plain rolling chassis for various projects people wanted such things for. The completed cars they offered were called AC 289 Sports and were to the casual observer in many ways like very late 427 Cobras except for wheels, tires, and engine/transmission packages. I have never found anything authoritative in print but it is believed AC Cars had Dunlop change the Cobra 15X6 wheel design to better suit the 427 Cobra style coil spring chassis. I had four wheels removed from a coil spring chassis. I remember that they were not just like the X 464 wheels on CSX2310 and they had a different number stamped into them. All I can recall is X 47something. I wish I had recorded dimensions and markings.

Mystery Wheels
X 470 70 spoke painted models. There are four of these well laced wheels in unrestored condition that we know about. They are 15X6 in size and have a 3-1/4” back spacing. A detailed comparison with X 464 wheels has not been made.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I like patina
Attached Images

Dan Case, LMH and CompClassics like this.