find another car.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     

Name:  PICT0576.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  100.4 KBI've had a Superformance going on five years now. And I just love the car no squeaks rattles or shimmy a solid built car that is a blast to drive...
Old 07-16-2018, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

For what its worth, I own a Unique Cobra that was manufactured in 1988. Driven hard regularly, the car has always been rock solid and rattle-free. I have a stroked small block, so can't speak to the lopey big block issue, but while the car with manual brakes and steering is by it's very nature relatively raw and unrefined compared to any modern sedan, there is nothing like "shaking itself apart" under any conditions. The ride and handling can accurately be described a firm but supple.As far as toughness, I was run off the road while passing another car and ended up going backwards hard into a large ditch with a steep embankment. My shoulder was broken and the rear suspension was damaged on one side, but the frame was undamaged and the body held up amazingly well. Doors hood and trunk never went out of alignment, and the windshield did not crack.
That is my honest experience with the brand.
Jdata likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 07-16-2018 at 07:24 PM..
Old 07-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

We have several Unique in our group, most with big block and none drive, run, sound like what you have described.

Yes they will take a lot of abuse. Mike has a 487 ci with 630 hp 640 tq in his Unique. It spend it's first eight years on the race tracks. Mid Ohio was the main one. Car was build in '91 or '92.
Jdata likes this.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft w/Smeding 351 dart block punched to "427"
Not Ranked     

I'm glad to hear the cars hold up.

Is there much difference between a 1996 Unique car and a 2014? It's my understanding that there isn't really.

The 2014 near me is asking 55k. This one in TX is asking 38k. PhotoPost Classifieds - 96 UNIQUE 427 Cobra Blk / Blk - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Might be worth a trip to Texas.

Dwight/Mike: How does the 487 engine get to that power level? Not running 93 octane, or?
#663 Backdraft Smeding "427" 6spd
www.prussianmotors.com
Old 07-17-2018, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob, there have been functional and cosmetic upgrades to the Unique Cobras over time and the major one is visually identifiable by wider SC-style lips on the rear wheel openings. My older Unique has a more narrow-hipped fender style (which I happen to love). I'm not certain of the chronology, but I think that one occurred before 1996.

You've probably already been there, but here's the manufacturer's website:

Home

Unique owners' forum - not as busy and active as this site, but you can find help from the manufacturer as well as owner/drivers:

Unique Forums

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Bob, my Superformance has a Roush 427R. The cam is pretty radical. When slowing down for a stop sign, I put in neutral, otherwise the car tends to shake.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Engine build by Keith Craft. It's a '65 side oiler block. Keith CNC-ed Mike's Edelbrock heads. I think the heads with the correct cam choice is what make the hp / tq with a compression ratio 9:0 to 1 so it will run on pump gas.

Very easy to drive on the street. Mild until you push the gas pedal hard.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

When Mike's car was on the track it had a '65 side oiler motor but I'm guessing it was close to stock. I drove it years ago and I felt like my small block could beat it. Later I pulled the motor and Mike took it to Keith Craft for a rebuild.
Came back a monster! I would guess he gained 200 hp.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is wild! A 9:1 compression ratio with that much power? I can't believe it. I've built low compression engines for my BMWs in that range, but then I add 20 pounds of boost! My 3.0L makes 500whp 425wtq on 93 octane in a 2800 pound car. That car runs an 11.3 on 93. Can't imagine what 640tq feels like in a 2500 pound car.
www.prussianmotors.com
Old 07-17-2018, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

3.0L vs 8.0L

Old 07-17-2018, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh.. I know the adage, No Replacement for Displacement.

I can only lust after that feeling!

Before my BMW days, I was in to old Ford trucks. Had a 1979 Bronco mud truck on 44's with a 460. 5.13 gears and a C6 trans. The torque that truck had was intoxicating.
www.prussianmotors.com

Last edited by bubela; 07-17-2018 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 07-17-2018, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Bob, sent you a PM
Old 07-17-2018, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gosh.. now you have me looking at this thinking: "That's not a lot of money for the power"

https://craftperformanceengines.com/Item/sp-572
www.prussianmotors.com
Old 07-18-2018, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have done a bunch of reading on this site. (Thanks guys!!) Definitely helped me narrow down my search and figure out more of what I want. I was itching and ready to pull the trigger, but I'm cooling my jets and want to find the right car the first go-around.

I'm now definitely getting a big block car.

Looks like the 429/460 are the same exhaust pattern while the 390/428 is different. Not sure where the 427 falls in there. Trying to make my future easier per chance I have to do an engine swap.

If anyone knows of a quality replica (Unique, SPF, ERA) with a big block for sale, please send it my way. If there's one with a blown (needing to be replaced) engine, that would probably be even better.

I don't think I want a Backdraft because I know a lot about the BMW suspension/axles, and it doesn't hold the kind of torque I'd like to throw at it. Does anyone know how well the Jag rear end holds up? What's needed for say: 600-650 wtq? I would like an IRS, not a solid axle.

Texas seems to have a good selection and the lowest priced cars and currently has one that my eye is on.
www.prussianmotors.com

Last edited by bubela; 07-18-2018 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: corrections
Old 07-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubela View Post

If anyone knows of a quality replica (Unique, SPF, ERA) with a big block for sale, please send it my way. If there's one with a blown (needing to be replaced) engine, that would probably be even better.
This is a very nice big block ERA. 427FE, Jag rear, looks to have been very well maintained. Reasonably priced at $80k.
https://www.cobracountry.com/cars-fo...a-427sc-cobra/
Old 07-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Looks like the 429/460 are the same exhaust pattern while the 390/428 is different. Not sure where the 427 falls in there. Trying to make my future easier per chance I have to do an engine swap.
The 427 is an "FE" series and shares exhaust port patterns (but not necessarily port size) with all "FE" engines. Yes, the "385" series engines (429/460 except for 'Boss 429' are the same as well). And most Windsors (289 to 351W) are the same except once more there are aftermarket and special heads with raised ports and other anomalies that violate the rules!

Ruling out a non "big block" removes a lot of potential cars that will have the same or more HP/torque numbers. It's not the size of the boat but the motion of the ocean that determines the giddy-up in these cars.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-19-2018, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure if this ad is legit or not, but I stumbled across this one with an Ernie Elliot cup motor. If this is the same car I'm thinking of it was a cover and feature car in the famous Car & Driver Patrick Bedard article on replica Cobras quite a few years ago. That article shed a lot of light on the Cobra replica market and arguably played a role making the cars more mainstream acceptable.

Ad here:
https://www.autoclassics.com/advert/110719

Old 07-19-2018, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That’s a nice one Patrick. However, it’s a bit out of my price range.

Mark IV: I’ve gone back and forth on this. However, I’d like room for future power if I choose to get crazy with this car. It’d be easier to get silly amounts of power out of a big block 460 vs a small block.

Thank you Buzz. I'm already in contact with them. =)
www.prussianmotors.com
Old 07-19-2018, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS BDR - 5.0 Aluminator - Whipplecharged
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I don't think I want a Backdraft because I know a lot about the BMW suspension/axles, and it doesn't hold the kind of torque I'd like to throw at it. Does anyone know how well the Jag rear end holds up? What's needed for say: 600-650 wtq? I would like an IRS, not a solid axle.
It's fun to travel with you on your Cobra adventure. Nothing better as I've done the same. Before you discount Backdraft based on your concern about it's ability to handle the torque, check out Vintage Motorsports (Welcome to VINTAGE Motorsports ). Jay and Brian Linke have built some of the best Cobra's around. I describe the quality of their work as being on par with Singer Porsche.

Here's a link to my build - Let me introduce BDR 1591 aka VMS Mayhem . I went the modern power plant route (Aluminator 5.0 racing block (low compression) with a 2.9 Whipple on top). I'm currently dialed in with the race set up making 800+ rwhp / 650+ rwtq. I've raced it at roll racing events (video below) and the 1/4 mile. The car handles the power like it's nothing. That's attributable to the VMS building up the suspension and drivetrain as needed.

As you're in Pa., it's worth a trip to their shop in CT (Jay goes by Cashburn on this site) or, if you don't mind coming to NJ, happy to meet up so you can check out my car.

Regardless of your decision, enjoy your search and best of luck!

John

Mayhem at 4:18 and 4:30 of this video

Race tune dyno

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 07-19-2018 at 12:56 PM..