28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2018, 10:16 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance Type 65 Daytona coupe vintage racing class?

Hi all. Some general questions about a Superformance Type 65 Daytona coupe. and the racing class it would be raced in:

1) What SCCA (Group 6) or SVRA class would the car race in?

2) Would it require original induction(Webers?), period/original brakes, wheels etc.

3) Engine type.

I've read the rules and they seem pretty specific as to originality until you get to the Specialty/Continuation car rules, then there don't appear to be any guidelines if the car is accepted by the organization.

Just wondering.

Cheers
Greg
Old 10-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The Superformance coupe is not a "type 65", that is a Factory Five. Our coupes are "Shelby CSX9000" Daytona's available from SPF or Shelby

We have worked with SVRA to get the Superformance 289 FIA/USRRC cars homologated. We currently have two FIA cars that are competing in SVRA and HSR. To date we have not worked with SCCA as to their requirements as no customer has indicated interest in competing in the SCCA vintage events.

SVRA required that the chassis be equipped with the solid rotors and Girling calipers as supplied by AC Cars, this despite other Group 6/B Production cars like Mustangs being allowed brake upgrades. SVRA/HSR has allowed the composite body vs. aluminum as our chassis is a copy of the original and has the period correct suspension, etc. so there is no advantage over a period built car.

SVRA has engine regulations that does not require Webers and allows a single Holley type carb. They do require a period engine block and iron heads so no Darts with aftermarket big valve alloy heads. One of the cars we have running is preparing to move to Webers after two seasons of a single 4BBL carb.

The Superformance Daytona Coupe is dimensionally different that the original coupes, the wheelbase is longer, the track wider, etc. The car can be ordered in an aluminum version that is dimensionally correct however to get the period suspension, etc. is a special build that we can assist with. The coupe is a more complex race car and considerably more expensive than the open roadster. On most of the tracks SVRA runs there would be minimal aero advantage to the roadster.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the clarification on the Type 65.

But I'm not clear as to your guidance. Are you describing your 289 FIA/USRRC roadsters?

And are you saying that a Superformance Daytona coupe is is not "qualified" due to its body dimensions?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Greg
Old 10-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by my427cobra View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the Type 65.

But I'm not clear as to your guidance. Are you describing your 289 FIA/USRRC roadsters?

And are you saying that a Superformance Daytona coupe is is not "qualified" due to its body dimensions?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Greg
We assume that the body dimensions/wheelbase would exclude the car but you would need to ask SVRA for clarification.

Yes, the cars running are the Superformance FIA roadster. See the thread by 1795, he is one of our customers racing: Superformance MKII, Riverside Racer 289 FIA vintage race car

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Last edited by Mark IV; 10-15-2018 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: added
Old 10-15-2018, 11:46 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your guidance Mark IV
Old 10-15-2018, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

The Daytona Coupes are problematic because they were never a production car. You might be able to get one approved for SCCA in GT1, but that would be running in a very competitive group and they would not be using vintage racing rules regarding aggressive driving; i.e., your car could get bumped. I am not sure if you have a vintage race group associated with SCCA on the west coast. We have one on the east coast called the Historic Race Group and we have one member that has a 9000 series Daytona Coupe that does run Webers. If you happen to be on the east coast with the car, let me know and I am sure that I could get you an invite. Of course, you would have to have all of the safety requirements regarding a full roll cage, emergency cutoff switch and fire systems along with the approved driving gear.

There is also another east coast vintage group that will allow the Daytona Couples from what I can see, they actually had a picture of one on their website, that group is called the Vintage Race Group.

I looked through SVRA's website, and could find no allowance for a Daytona Coupe. You could always ask and see if there might be some group that they would allow it in.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I believe that there is a west coast vintage group in which the factory five coupes have been running. You might ask about that group to see if you would qualify. Alfa02 might have more information on this group.

Good luck, hope that it works out for you. Nothing like vintage racing.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 10-15-2018 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by my427cobra View Post
Hi all. Some general questions about a Superformance Type 65 Daytona coupe. and the racing class it would be raced in:

1) What SCCA (Group 6) or SVRA class would the car race in?

2) Would it require original induction(Webers?), period/original brakes, wheels etc.

3) Engine type.

I've read the rules and they seem pretty specific as to originality until you get to the Specialty/Continuation car rules, then there don't appear to be any guidelines if the car is accepted by the organization.

Just wondering.

Cheers
Greg
Hi Greg
I run my FFR 65 Daytona Coupe with VARA in GTO and you could run Group 12 (with newer Porsche’s, Panoz etc) with SVRA at some events they put Group 12 and 6 together in one run group
Unfortunately there are no SVRA races in California besides Fontana to run with them that’s why I race with VARA and Sovren in OR and WA but you could also run SCCA GT1 here in SoCal
I recently bought a ‘70’s Lola and might be selling the Daytona
I sent you a PN

Maui
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2018, 09:12 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. This was a car guys breakfast discussion after we had seen a Daytona coupe replica at a car show.

Cheers
Greg