Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Driver assist for manual brakes.

I know what you are probably thinking, why would you want to install any kind of driver enhancements on a Cobra or any other performance vehicle for that matter.
Let me explain the dilemma that my client was having. Our shop had just completed a CSX6000 Series build for a gentleman, his first this vehicle this rudimentary, most of his performance vehicles being newer Ferraris. My client intended on having this Cobra built to participate in an annual "Cobra Tour" that lasted nearly a thousand miles and lasted a week. My ciient had another issue that took place during the build that required him having a double knee replacement. He was particularly worried about his clutch leg and was very apprehensive about his ability to utilize the clutch in the car. In the end he went on the tour and fully enjoyed the trip.
My client had the Cobra transported back to our shop for a good going over to make sure everything was in good shape and perform some basic maintenance in advance of the next tour, he also presented us with a couple of items that he was concerned about. The first concern was the amount of force he had to apply to the brakes to get the car to stop. The second concern was the inaccuracy of the fuel gauge, not important to this article.
While I was researching the components of this Cobras brake system to see how it could be improved, checking master cylinder bore diameters, brake pad composition, etc., I found everything in order.
So I thought to myself how do I make this brake system work more effectively and with less effort on my clients part? I came to the conclusion that power brakes were the only way to accomplish this. As most of you know a Cobra has very limited space for any kind of modifications such as power brakes. So how to do this, a hydro brake system has to many components and requires to much master cylinder acreage and ultimately chassis modifications. The only other alternative that is available would be a vacuum assisted system, again this presented some challenges. I could not use a combo brake booster / master cylinder unit for the same reason I couldn't use the hydro-boosted system. So what are you going to do?
In the early 2000s I had the chance to restore a very significant factory racing team MG, it was a MGC/GTS that was built for the 12 hours of Sebring. This MG was designed as an endurance / rally race car and was built to reduce the drivers fatigue wherever possible in long distance races by incorporating power brakes, it utilized remotely mounted power brake boosters made by Lockheed.
I now had my answer, now to find a suitable brake booster that would fit my application! I was finally able to locate the booster that would fit my application and mounting location. This brake booster provides twice the output of the original master cylinder, less pedal effort. I can't wait for our client to give it a stop.
A side bar to this article, when we went to register this Cobra in California one of the "brake & light" inspection requirements was that the vehicle had power brakes installed. At the time we circumvented that particular requirement.
Attached Images

tkb289 and Riverside racer like this.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Back in the '80s, I bought a Morris Mini for commuting to work. Its brake pedal effort seemed to be excessive, so I successfully added a remote booster sourced from an Alfa 1750GTV, which from memory was also a Lockheed unit.
The brake mod was quite successful, cutting the pedal force by around half.

Incidentally, the trip to work was 60km round trip, often with four of us, the shortest was over six feet tall, and the tallest was 6' 4". That's economical packaging!

Cheers,
Glen
CompClassics likes this.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

How is the Lockheed booster powered? Vacuum or Electrical?
Can you supply the part number? Is it the 182-290?
How big is it physically?
CompClassics likes this.

Last edited by 66AC; 01-06-2019 at 05:35 AM..
Old 01-06-2019, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is Vacuum assisted. The unit I used (photo) is probably 2/3 the size of the Lockheed unit. I had forgot to mention that the brake booster was installed in the front brake circuit in my application. You can install another unit for the rear brakes if you feel you need more brake effort but the one worked perfectly in this application. This particular unit is less than 12” in length and the vacuum chamber is approximately 6” diameter. Please feel free to email me for more info, jkb5@sbcglobal dot net
Riverside racer likes this.

Last edited by CompClassics; 01-06-2019 at 11:37 AM..
Old 01-06-2019, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is that wise to have a boosted front circuit and an non-boosted rear circuit? Wouldn't this setup be likely to suffer premature front lockup?
The Alfa from which I sourced the Lockheed booster had dual circuit braking, so had a separate booster on each circuit, and the Mini that I mentioned had a single circuit system, so a single booster was appropriate.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I was thinking of using one on mine. With 8 front pistons to move ,I ended up with a large bore master, and I almost need 2 feet to stop it. I was going to put the booster on the front and then adjust the brake bias towards the rear more. JD
Old 01-06-2019, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The booster attached to the front only works properly by itself, remember you are only trying to reduce the drivers effort in braking, most of the vehicles braking performance is from the front brakes per design. This is why typical automotive and even motorcycle brake systems utilize smaller components at the rear of the vehicle and larger components in the front, sort of a fixed brake bias system.
The MGC/GTS I spoke of restoring previously had had only a front brake booster on it for many years of driving although it was originally built with two brake boosters, it was not known when or by whom the rear brake booster was removed? I had to refabricate the rear brake booster system from photographs that were taken when the car was first being built by MG. It was interesting to note the rear brake boosters mounting position was in the passengers footwell inside the interior of the car.
xb-60 likes this.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Good description here on how the remote booster works: Remote Brake Servo

Moss U.K. has them for sale here - both Lockheed and after-market versions: https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/remote...servo-kit.html

MBP offers a similar booster in the U.S., though the description states "Recommended for applications using disc brakes in the front and drum brakes in the rear." https://www.mpbrakes.com/pc_product_...A40191940E1C58
Riverside racer and Jaydee like this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 01-07-2019 at 06:52 PM..
Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Unfortunately the brake boosters referenced above did not fit within my limited space and I had to locate a smaller brake booster assembly

Last edited by CompClassics; 01-08-2019 at 02:25 AM..
Old 01-09-2019, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Saw this MGC at Sebring last year. Not racing, but at the concurrent car show
Attached Images

1985 CCX and Riverside racer like this.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

does anybody know if the smaller 6" remote booster is available in the USA or do I need to source it from the UK.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Try Moss Motors

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-09-2019, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Try Moss Motors
Moss has this one, but no dimensions are shown. A quick phone call may sort that out. https://mossmotors.com/brake-servo-a...-with-brackets

Another, listed for use in MGBs: https://mossmotors.com/mgb/brakes/br...-line-7-8-bore

Last edited by cycleguy55; 01-09-2019 at 01:31 PM..
Old 01-10-2019, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The unit I provided in my original posting is 9.5" long and the vacuum chamber is 5.5" in diameter.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Comp: can you post a pic of your installation ?
Old 01-10-2019, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will take some photos but just to shorten the length of time between now and then, it is mounted below the alternator on my clients CSX6000 Series Cobra.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are some in process photos of the brake booster installation....
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2019, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quite nicely concealed down there. Well done!

Cheers,
Glen
CompClassics likes this.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You really wouldn’t know it was there unless you really looked for it or drove the Cobra.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
You really wouldn’t know it was there unless you really looked for it or drove the Cobra.
Yes, certainly well concealed. Nice job.

Gary
CompClassics likes this.