Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   newbe needs help......... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/141927-newbe-needs-help.html)

pester 01-14-2019 11:11 AM

newbe needs help.........

picked up an "older cobra" build...has a jag rear end...need to replace the four shocks......how do i identify which rear i have so i can search for correct replacements?... I beleive the car may be an older superformance...it is fiberglass.... any suggestions?

redmt 01-14-2019 12:01 PM

Post a picture of the car and of the rear end

LMH 01-14-2019 12:02 PM

I don't think Superformance ever used Jaguar suspension. Does it have quad coil over shocks in the rear?

Larry

strictlypersonl 01-14-2019 03:31 PM

Measure the distance between the inner pivot axis and the hub carrier axis. There are several length lower control arms.

pester 01-15-2019 07:49 AM

yes it has quad coil overs.......old xke maybe?

strictlypersonl 01-15-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pester (Post 1456752)
yes it has quad coil overs.......old xke maybe?

All these had quad shocks:
XKE (early and late variations)
XJ Sedan
XJS (early)
MK 10 Sedan

Blas 01-15-2019 11:52 AM

When you say "older build" cobra can you clarify "older"?
If it is indeed a Superformance you should have a chassis number stamped on the front cross-member and on a plate on the firewall or wheel housing. On paperwork maybe?
A very early Superformance has a different suspension then later versions. The wiring also differs....
Blas

pester 01-15-2019 12:35 PM

built mid to late 90's... shelby old factory in las vegas......has triump front suspension....jag rear end......was neglected in process of cleaning engine trany chassis suspension....all covered in old oil and dirt.....only id i could find was dmv id plate....last two digits were NV....plan on power washing this weekend so maybe i can find more info then....info i posted here was info i got when i bought it from widow.....so..

id post photos but havent figured out how yet....lol

strictlypersonl 01-15-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pester (Post 1456764)
.has triump front suspension

That should narrow the make down - although I know of no kit that used Triumph myself. It's got a trunion on the bottom and ball joint on top?

xb-60 01-15-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pester (Post 1456764)
..... shelby old factory in las vegas......

What information do you have that connects it to Shelby in Las Vegas?

Cheers,
Glen

LMH 01-15-2019 02:49 PM

Not a Shelby if the front suspension is Triumph. They didn't/don't use Jag rear suspension either. Probably going to have to post some photo's, especially of the suspension and under hood frame. We could probably ID from there.
Larry

joyridin' 01-15-2019 03:21 PM

Sounds more like an Arntz. Jag rear, MGB front, Chevy engine, and it is an old build with no markings.

snapier 01-15-2019 03:31 PM

An example of a Superformance chassis No#(SP01400).

LMH 01-15-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyridin' (Post 1456776)
Sounds more like an Arntz. Jag rear, MGB front, Chevy engine, and it is an old build with no markings.

I was thinking the same thing.
Larry

pester 01-16-2019 06:25 AM

i think your on to something....i just looked at a video of an arntz for sale....had jag rear...underside chassis looks like mine.....dash layout is the same and so is center hump (very wide)....

pester 01-16-2019 06:35 AM

actually it could possibly have been made in 1979....if anyone wants to message me i can then send the photos is took since i havent figured out how to post them here yet....

pester 01-16-2019 07:49 AM

added some photos....

LMH 01-16-2019 09:22 AM

With that giant fan shroud, Im more sure joyridin is right that it’s an Arntz.
Larry

pester 01-16-2019 11:24 AM

i never heard of that brand...are they ok?

cycleguy55 01-16-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pester (Post 1456808)
i never heard of that brand...are they ok?

There's an entire forum / area on CC for Arntz / Butler cars: Arntz/Butler Forum - Club Cobra