21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2019, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

Key elemement; modified exhaust
Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

It seems like it's a judgement call for the officer (who can use this as a means of harassment). Then you have to go to the state and get the exhaust tested. At least the testing is done using uniform methods and using calibrated equipment. Seems like their vision of generating revenue will not pan out since all of the labor to get a "conviction" will exceed the fine. Seems typical of CA regs.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
No offense taken. The only thing that doesn't suck in California is the weather and the ocean, the rest of it makes me puke!
what about the girls and the mountains !
Old 03-03-2019, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Noise laws are there for people that break them. Drive your Cobra reasonably and you won’t be stopped. Sit at a red light and rev your engine or spin your tires and yes you are annoying people so guess what? You’ll get ticketed. The majority of people will give you a thumbs up in a Cobra and will have zero issues with you.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Just a few thoughts on this.
The Cobra S/C was built by Shelby American in California, with sidepipes.
Laws cannot be retroactive.
Originals are 1962-1967.
If your replica is title as a 62-67 replica, as they do in AZ, could this law be applied?
Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It says ALL motor vehicles MUST be equipped with a muffler.
Even vehicles with ELECTRIC motors?
Old 03-04-2019, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS427 View Post
Just a few thoughts on this.
The Cobra S/C was built by Shelby American in California, with sidepipes.
Laws cannot be retroactive.
Originals are 1962-1967.
If your replica is title as a 62-67 replica, as they do in AZ, could this law be applied?

The side exhaust prescription specifically says the exhaust can't exit between 2' and 11' above the ground.

Are your sidelines exiting more than 2 feet above the ground? Did you do a 4x4 conversion with a frame lift?
Old 03-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
It says ALL motor vehicles MUST be equipped with a muffler.
Even vehicles with ELECTRIC motors?
The law is the law.
Time to put a big 'fart can' on a Tesla.
Moto One likes this.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley w/BluePrint 408
Not Ranked     

Hello all, just my 2 cents.....I just retired from being a police officer here in central California after 32 years. My last 15 years were as a motor officer (yes the big meanie on the motorcycle who had nothing else to do except harass innocent drivers....according to some I stopped). During my time.....I very rarely pulled anyone over for loud exhaust. The times I did were usually because the driver felt it was necessary to rev his engine up at the red light so that he got everyone’s attention.....including mine. 99% of those drivers were the fast and furious type imports with the big cans hanging out the back that made their cars sound like a swarm of bees. In my time I had never pulled over any muscle car for loud exhaust.....because those drivers just let the rumble speak for itself. If anything I pulled up next to those cars and chatted with driver about his car while at the red light. Most of the officers I know really appreciate the work guys put into their cars and will cut them slack....as long as you don’t act like an idiot.

Just food for thought.......
Old 03-06-2019, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John248 View Post
Hello all, just my 2 cents.....I just retired from being a police officer here in central California after 32 years. My last 15 years were as a motor officer (yes the big meanie on the motorcycle who had nothing else to do except harass innocent drivers....according to some I stopped). During my time.....I very rarely pulled anyone over for loud exhaust. The times I did were usually because the driver felt it was necessary to rev his engine up at the red light so that he got everyone’s attention.....including mine. 99% of those drivers were the fast and furious type imports with the big cans hanging out the back that made their cars sound like a swarm of bees. In my time I had never pulled over any muscle car for loud exhaust.....because those drivers just let the rumble speak for itself. If anything I pulled up next to those cars and chatted with driver about his car while at the red light. Most of the officers I know really appreciate the work guys put into their cars and will cut them slack....as long as you don’t act like an idiot.

That has been my experience - and what I previously wrote. I've had more thumbs-up, admiring looks and compliments from police officers than I can count.

Local police hold one of the larger 'show and shines' on an annual basis, featuring many of their own cars as well as those from the public. That reminds me, I need to register!
Ron61 likes this.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
The side exhaust prescription specifically says the exhaust can't exit between 2' and 11' above the ground.

Are your sidelines exiting more than 2 feet above the ground? Did you do a 4x4 conversion with a frame lift?
Can't exit between 2' and 11'?

So I can exit my pipes at 11'1"?

That statement of theirs has no merit, who wrote that?

Gary
Old 03-07-2019, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

2'-11' sounds weirdly specific- maybe to catch trucks with straight pipes coming out of the bed?
But >11' exempts semi trucks?

It's just so oddly specific ��
Old 03-07-2019, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Probably don't want the exhaust from a vehicle next to you being pointed at an open window. 2' to 11' would cover sidecars to the windows in a semi.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John248 View Post

Same happens here, I have had several officers stop at a light and chat. This is being blown out of proportion. As others stated if you are not driving stupid in populated areas you will not be bothered in a Cobra.

I will even raise you one. My 32 Ford is FENDERLESS. By law, illegal. Do the police stop me? No. I even considered building before I found my car. If I would have it would have needed an inspection by the Ohio State Patrol to get a title. I called and asked about the fenders. They stated it would not be an issue.

Last edited by carguyohio; 03-20-2019 at 10:32 AM..