Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

So... Two low profile jacks and you have a lift-ish.
lomdel likes this.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomdel View Post
While trying to locally source a low-ceiling 2-post lift, I got myself this setup. A low-profile trolley jack with a 2ton cross beam adaptor to spread the lifting points and raise the entire side of the car. In these photo’s, the jack hasn’t reach its halfway height yet. I do have jack stands, just not in these pics...
I like your set up. I do the same thing with a motorcycle jack but, I go in deeper inside to the inside frame.Eventually I will be installing a two post lift.

Last edited by hauss; 04-07-2019 at 10:30 PM..
Old 04-09-2019, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have 4 post lift king love it, have 10 ft 6 ceiling, Im 6, 2 and can walk under it plus if have to lift something higher I can wheel it outside
Old 04-11-2019, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1993 Excalibur Cobra, 351W 400hp+
Send a message via AIM to TX-Excalibur Send a message via MSN to TX-Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to TX-Excalibur
Not Ranked     
Default MaxJax 6 Ton 2 post lift install

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBit View Post
You did well, that’s about what I paid for it. PM me if you have any questions on the install. I live in NE Dallas, so not far from you.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure if you're looking at a MaxJax or not but this Triumph unit is more heavy duty and only $2600. I put one in a few years ago. Couldn't be happier. Has a mobile power unit and the posts unbolt from the floor so you can move them out of the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akKomjipk6U

Quote:
Besides the QuickJack which has been widely discussed elsewhere in this forum, what other low- to mid-rise home garage car-lifts do you guys use? I have seen the Ezcarlift (https://www.ezcarlift.com) and the Autolift3000 (https://www.autoliftproduction.com) which both does not use any hydraulics. Not cheap though...
What other ones lift all four wheels off the ground that have a small footprint and is relatively affordable?
lomdel likes this.

Last edited by jacobsed; 04-19-2019 at 06:38 AM..
Old 04-19-2019, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #1644
Not Ranked     

I have an Atlas lift from https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/ I am 6' and can stand tall under my cars to work on them - plenty wide too.
Gaz64 and hauss like this.

Last edited by lakercobra; 04-19-2019 at 04:33 PM..
Old 07-24-2019, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3
Not Ranked     

Has anyone tried the Autolift3000 (https://www.autoliftproduction.com) with a Cobra or other convertible car? I am a bit concerned about flex of the open-top chassis with it being supported only on the CoG.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Autolift3000 (https://www.autoliftproduction.com) with a Cobra or other convertible car? I am a bit concerned about flex of the open-top chassis with it being supported only on the CoG.
I wonder how many cars have fallen off that type of thing.

Won't see me using one.

Gary
Old 07-25-2019, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

I've had a MaxJax lift so long I can't remember when I bought it. I think it was when they first came out. It's been great. I could not be without a lift in my garage. Well, I could, but I just wouldn't work on a car. I've swapped several engines and transmissions (Miata and Cobra) with this lift.

The one drawback is that the posts take up space vertically. I have / am considering getting a Bendpak MDS-6LP. It's a mid-rise scissor lift. No posts to take up space and clear enough underneath for trans / engine removal. I have used the full rise version and it was fine to work under for transmission / engine swap on Miatas. My ideal version of that would be flush mount, but there's install expenses / hassles with that.

It's important to think about what you're going to do with the lift. Many scissor lift designs make it difficult for trans removal as they have structure criss-crossing the floor. Think about being able to move a jack around under the car to help support trans removal, etc. BTW, if you think you're going to be removing the lift posts from a MaxJax lift and stowing them away, well, I've never removed mine.

For the money / utility I don't think you can go wrong with that MaxJax lift if you have limited ceiling clearance.

Last edited by jmimac351; 07-25-2019 at 06:13 PM..
Old 07-25-2019, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
I've had a MaxJax lift so long I can't remember when I bought it. I think it was when they first came out. It's been great. I could not be without a lift in my garage. Well, I could, but I just wouldn't work on a car. I've swapped several engines and transmissions (Miata and Cobra) with this lift.

The one drawback is that the posts take up space vertically. I have / am considering getting a Bendpak MDS-6LP. It's a mid-rise scissor lift. No posts to take up space and clear enough underneath for trans / engine removal. I have used the full rise version and it was fine to work under for transmission / engine swap on Miatas. My ideal version of that would be flush mount, but there's install expenses / hassles with that.

It's important to think about what you're going to do with the lift. Many scissor lift designs make it difficult for trans removal as they have structure criss-crossing the floor. Think about being able to move a jack around under the car to help support trans removal, etc. BTW, if you think you're going to be removing the lift posts from a MaxJax lift and stowing them away, well, I've never removed mine.

For the money / utility I don't think you can go wrong with that MaxJax lift if you have limited ceiling clearance.

Ideally I would have liked a MaxJax as well, but to import one to South Africa more than doubles the purchase cost, therefore not financially viable.

The Bendpak MDS-6LP type of scissor lift have also been considered seriously due to it not having any obstruction in the centre (besides the floor bars). But again it is prohibitively expensive for home/hobby use. Locally it is called a MR30 (Mid-Rise 3000kg).
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2019, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I took the plunge...!
https://youtu.be/Z84Y1PfwWYU
Attached Images

Last edited by lomdel; 09-03-2019 at 04:10 AM..
Old 09-03-2019, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have lift King 10 ft 6 ceiling lots of room