LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2019, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427sc
Not Ranked     
Default Skid plate?

Search failed me.

Anyone using a skid plate or something to protect the underside of the front nose?

I've seen one for Corvettes that have a nice chrome plate backing. Of course the custom nature of these bodies makes it difficult to find something that would fit proper, so I'm curious what others have done, if at all.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2019, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

I don't if anyone else has made something, but it's something I thought about myself and I will probably see about fabricating one for my car.

I am fortunate because the frame on a Classic Roadster Cobra is very beefy and has to a place for me to tap into, albeit on the bottom of the frame making it even lower...
But I guess it's better to periodically scrape that then the bottom of the nose on the body.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

I just keep buying new oil pans. I thought that is what they were made for.
spd_rcr_05 likes this.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Skid Plate

After stabbing slight cuts into the Miltron Oil Pan twice in 18 months, the last tig weld including adding a small skid plate on the oil pan front side that may deflect a direct hit. Got it with a rubber speed bump and a chunk of cement aggregate.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

On a Superformance, check out www.Craigscobras.com
He has come up with a strike plate arrangements for the underside of the fiberglass nose. It is not going to protect the oil pan, just the fiberglass surround for the oil cooler. I thinking that is what you are look for? Just an example of something that was done.... on another manufacturers car.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 05-23-2019, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Craigs Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
On a Superformance, check out Craig's Cobras, Canton MI
He has come up with a strike plate arrangements for the underside of the fiberglass nose. It is not going to protect the oil pan, just the fiberglass surround for the oil cooler. I thinking that is what you are look for? Just an example of something that was done.... on another manufacturers car.
Blas
Saw that but i dont think that thing would take much of a hit before simply twisting off the Glass housing for the cooler.

I went over a curb accidentally a while back and would have been fine but for the front of the bell housing hitting...

I'd like to see a couple of inverted T's with a taper on either end that would hang just below the pan and bell-housing (especially for those like me who have the motor mounts as absolutely low as possible)...It wouldnt work with something like a rock, but for things like curbs, speed bumps etc. it would.

Steve H
Old 05-23-2019, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Tortuga, I don't believe the intent of Craig's plate was to prevent damage form a "Joie Chitwood Daredevil Thrill Show" like off-road adventure. Perhaps just from the occasional slow roll on to a parking bumper curb or trailer loading ramp event. And I totally agree with the possibility of detaching the fiberglass surround on the oil cooler. What height is your car set at? Perhaps another inch on the springs would help? But not with jumping curbs....
The chrome plate under the steel bar would protect the fiberglass from minor scrapes as would the clear protective film from 3M.
Blas
tortuga likes this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 05-23-2019 at 10:57 AM..
Old 05-24-2019, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Tortuga, I don't believe the intent of Craig's plate was to prevent damage form a "Joie Chitwood Daredevil Thrill Show" like off-road adventure. Perhaps just from the occasional slow roll on to a parking bumper curb or trailer loading ramp event. And I totally agree with the possibility of detaching the fiberglass surround on the oil cooler. What height is your car set at? Perhaps another inch on the springs would help? But not with jumping curbs....
The chrome plate under the steel bar would protect the fiberglass from minor scrapes as would the clear protective film from 3M.
Blas
Got a good belly laugh out of that thanks!

Steve H
Old 05-24-2019, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I haven't tested it fortunately but I had a roll of that heavy mill clear paint protection film that I probably got from JC Whitney or someplace. It's not high quality stuff like 3M or Xpel, but intended for rocker panels on trucks and such - probably about 15 - 20 mils. I put 3 layers on the bottom of my oil cooler scoop where it doesn't show unless you get down on hands and knees. I figure if I ride up on something slowly or take a soft bump it might protect it but won't do anything if I hit the mouth on a high curb or something.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Some people mentioned issues with oil pans.
If you want your oil pan above the frame rails, Champ Pans makes low profile pans for Cobras. 302/351/4.6/5.4/coyote.

www.champpans.com
Old 05-24-2019, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

My Dan Olson racing pan has a very wide bottom with the bolts on the right side recessed like the spark plugs on an old Hemi. It holds 8 quarts too and has baffles and a scraper.
Jdata likes this.