Old 06-18-2019, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Registering as a 1965 Cobra

Purchased a Backdraft Cobra that was built in 2017
I purchased it from the 1st/original owner
It was registered as a 2017 SPCNS (Specially Constructed)

I am about to register the car and was wondering if and how I could possibly change the registration to a 1965 Shelby Cobra / Backdraft Cobra / Replica Cobra or some variation thereof.

Located in California

Thank you
Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

You can’t without committing fraud.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lol. Many for sale ads say “titled as a 1965 cobra/replica/Shelby” or something similar
Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It depends on how your state does it. Different states have different rules. In your case, being in CA, I'm not sure but there are lots of other CA owners here and I'm sure they can tell you how its titled and registered.
Larry
Old 06-18-2019, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
It depends on how your state does it. Different states have different rules. In your case, being in CA, I'm not sure but there are lots of other CA owners here and I'm sure they can tell you how its titled and registered.
Larry
Hope they chime in! Unless i posted in the wrong section

It is properly registered, has a SPCNS # and SB-100..
Old 06-18-2019, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

You are screwing around with something in the CA DMV in Sacramento that very closely resembles the primal forces of nature. Free advice, well intended, says don't touch that burner — its hot!

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerb0y View Post
Hope they chime in! Unless i posted in the wrong section

If it's already registered, I'm sure CA isn't going to re-register it as a 1965. Why would you want to change it now?
Larry
Old 06-19-2019, 02:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

If it has an sb100 number, why would you want to mess with it? It's already smog exempt?!?!!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:00 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Since it is properly registered with the SPCHS # under the SB100 laws of your state, I would not recommend attempting to change it. While you see some cars titled and registered as a 1965 this or that, it may be that the original state allowed such titling at the time the car was originally registered and titled. In the late 80's and early 90's, while kit cars were still new to the market, and not as wide spread as they are now, most states had no idea how to classify them. As such, they allowed them to be titled the same as the car they were replicating. That has changed, and most states have specific rules and regulations as to how they can be titled. Beware, that those title companies you find on line that promise to title your car as a "vintage" whatever, may be on a hot list in your state, especially California. Not quite grasping what I am talking about, CLICK HERE. This was back in 2004, and the laws of each state have progressively tightened up since that time. So, leave your cars title and registration alone, and do not think you can reinvent the wheel, so to speak for your cars title and registration. You asked the question, while you many not like the answer, it is what you asked for.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.
cycleguy55 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-19-2019, 05:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

As Bill said, in our state leave well enough alone. They have already changed some of the SB-100 process and you can no longer use the year of the engine to register a new build. You can't register any SPCNS car as a Cobra or whatever it represents. I have gone through this twice and I left the Coupe titled as it was. A friend of mine tried to title his as a 65 Cobra and they not only pulled the title but he couldn't even sell the car in this dam state.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-19-2019, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

I have to agree with what the others have said. A title that says "1965 Cobra" is cool but nobody will ever see it until you go to sell it. More importantly, CA is a good market for Cobras and a car that already has SB100 status will sell faster and/or for more money when you decide to move on to something else.

Enjoy the fact that you can register your car with one trip to the DMV or AAA and never have to visit a smog station. Then go drive it!
Cornercarverfan likes this.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds good guys, thank you for all the advice and heads up .. the only reason I was thinking of titling it as a 65 was because of the misconception that it may be worth more down the line if title as a cobra vs SPCNS

And yes totally agree that a California car with SB 100 is worth more because that’s literally the only way to get a used Cobra on California streets
Old 06-19-2019, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

congrats beemerboy!

you bought the cobra with the coyote engine, right?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And yes totally agree that a California car with SB 100 is worth more because that’s literally the only way to get a used Cobra on California streets
For the purpose of clarity, it IS possible to title a used Cobra under the SB100 program. I have done it and a few others here have as well. However it is not simple and requires due diligence prior to purchase to make sure that specific documentation is available for the car. This would need to include the certificate of origin from the mfr as well as receipts for major components such as engine and transmission. That being said, I would gladly pay a couple thousand dollars more for a car already SB100 registered.

Enjoy your new ride!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

what if you bought a car with an original 1965 Chassis and a newer fiberglass body? The car is registered in another state as a 1965 Shelby Cobra? what then?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

All I can Say is leave it alone, follow the advise of the others. It took me over a year, 3 trips to the chp and 5 trips to the dmv! total pain in the a$$.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
what if you bought a car with an original 1965 Chassis and a newer fiberglass body? The car is registered in another state as a 1965 Shelby Cobra? what then?
Then you're in luck! Since no one but AC Cars was manufacturing a Cobra chassis in 1965, it woukd have to be a genuine car, with a CSX, COX, or COB chassis number. First, marvel at your good fortune, then throw the fiberglass body into the dumpster, restore the car properly with an alloy body, and you're good to go!
LMH, vntgspd and cycleguy55 like this.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:38 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
Then you're in luck! Since no one but AC Cars was manufacturing a Cobra chassis in 1965, it woukd have to be a genuine car, with a CSX, COX, or COB chassis number. First, marvel at your good fortune, then throw the fiberglass body into the dumpster, restore the car properly with an alloy body, and you're good to go!
Oh Neddie, you smart arse!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Uhhh, but what if I had one small section of original framing, maybe four inches long, that I welded everything else around? And maybe if I threw in an original upper control arm, and topped it off with a couple of original gauges... ok, and a shifter knob too. And, of course, an autographed dash....
Old 06-20-2019, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

If you had the registered section of 1965 framing, it would be well worth building the proper alloy body car around it to make yourself a million dollar bubble boy toy.

-Dave