Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   427 Side Pipes (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/142672-427-side-pipes.html)

E5USMC 08-15-2019 07:45 PM

427 Side Pipes

My car currently has Superformance headers/ pipes and I’m just not thrilled with the sound. Hard to explain but it doesn’t sound that aggressive. Was looking at trying a more competition style side pipe without any packing to let my 427FE really exhale.

Any suggestions on a good company to look at that has a race exhaust for a 90” wheelbase car?

Thanks!!!

sd427 08-16-2019 07:40 AM

There was a recent thread that may help

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/orig...sidepipes.html

Mark IV 08-16-2019 08:52 AM

Firefly Stainless Steel performance pipes have been designed
Available in sounds from rorty to really snotty (your neighbors will hate you....)

E5USMC 08-18-2019 06:39 PM

Thanks....I’ll do some more research. I’ve heard some great cobra exhaust and mine leaves me a little flat especially at idle.

E5

HTM101 08-19-2019 08:16 AM

cobrakiwi, a frequent poster on this site, cut out my original 22" muffler sections and installed (welded in) these 24" sections from, Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - Products

We used the Classic Chambered 3" i.d. muffler to replace my original 2.5" i.d. muffler. The sound difference was a big WOW.

All of my original exhaust parts; primary headers, collectors and end turn-downs/brackets, were re-used. The finished side-pipe did require re-coating, but the final cost was far less expensive than replacing my entire exhaust system.

ERA 626 08-19-2019 11:14 AM

I just got CSX 6079, I do not like the quality of the headers. They are welded together in pieces instead of being mandrel bent. I was thinking of buying a set from ERA, has anyone tried this? THE ERA headers and pipes are a LOT nicer and a LOT less than some of the websites advertise here...

Kit Coyle 08-19-2019 03:26 PM

I have the Classic Chambered Power Sticks on my FIA. I will not be
sneaking up on anyone anytime soon. Nice sound. Check out their
website.

olddog 08-19-2019 04:08 PM

Just another perspective, you might want to consider. Hearing loss in your latter years is no joke. Your brain tends to fill in the lack of sound with ringing. It's called tinnitus.

I always, in my adult life, used hearing protection when target shooting, if possible when hunting, when running a weed eater, mower, leaf blower, chain saw, power tools, and at work. Always while driving my Cobra, too. I still suffer from hearing loss and tinnitus. It truly ruins quality of life.

I hear people on this web site belly ache about kids and their fart can mufflers, a lot. Even complain about the new Mustang GT 500 will be too loud. If the guys on this site don't like to hear it, just how much do you think it bothers the average folks.

So now I ask you, just how fricking loud do your side pipes need to be? Loud enough to get your neighbor to pass a new law?

Seriously if your engine is too quiet at idle, you might want to check the compression ratio and cam specs. It may just be a mild engine.

Gaz64 08-19-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog (Post 1465759)
Seriously if your engine is too quiet at idle, you might want to check the compression ratio and cam specs. It may just be a mild engine.

Yes, I agree. I have never wanted to make my cars louder.
The engines make the note loud enough from compression and camshaft, I then spend money to quieten them down to acceptable levels. Those "in the know" know the engine is not stock with an open exhaust.

Gary

patrickt 08-19-2019 06:36 PM

What you want is to sound like me.;) It's a combination of a big iron block FE, an old-style solid, flat tappet cam, and the ERA "quiet type" pipes. Click on the link below and feast your ears.:cool:

Varmit 08-21-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E5USMC (Post 1465636)
My car currently has Superformance headers/ pipes and I’m just not thrilled with the sound. Hard to explain but it doesn’t sound that aggressive. Was looking at trying a more competition style side pipe without any packing to let my 427FE really exhale.

Any suggestions on a good company to look at that has a race exhaust for a 90” wheelbase car?

Im in the San Diego area if you want to hear them, they are on an FE so you should have a good idea of how they would sound on yours

Thanks!!!

Ive got a set of modified Superformance side pipes, black, that I would swap for your stock side pipes

427SSSS 08-22-2019 04:40 AM

Not to hijack, ff5 doesn't have sideline support brackets.
Anyone know where I could get a set?
Went to websites posted above, no luck.

jhv48 08-23-2019 03:56 PM

Hey Varmint, were those pipes modified by that shop in sparks Nevada? Do they have the 3” inside diameter inserts?
If so, I highly recommend them, I measured the internal baffles in my stock SPF sidepipes and they were 1 1/2 “ inside diameter. Choked my engine and made my car sound like a Prius. Had them gutted and replaced with 3” internals and woke the engine up (as well as the neighbors).
I think varmint had his done by the same shop.

E5USMC 08-23-2019 06:47 PM

Varmit

Let me think on it. Got a few options I’m looking at !!

Danr55 08-23-2019 07:02 PM

Before you spend the time and money, I suggest you back away frommthe car and isten tonit. I had only hurt mine from sitting behind the wheel and I thought the same thing. Then one day I walked away from the car while it was running and when I turned around to walk back I had to wonder whose car that was it sounded so good. Imagine my surprise to find out it was mine. the car is sound a lot different from behind-the-wheel than they do from standing next to the car 15 feet away.

Varmit 08-24-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhv48 (Post 1465922)
Hey Varmint, were those pipes modified by that shop in sparks Nevada? Do they have the 3” inside diameter inserts?
If so, I highly recommend them, I measured the internal baffles in my stock SPF sidepipes and they were 1 1/2 “ inside diameter. Choked my engine and made my car sound like a Prius. Had them gutted and replaced with 3” internals and woke the engine up (as well as the neighbors).
I think varmint had his done by the same shop.

yes they were. I've got a set of stainless Fire Fly's that sound about the same, so if I can I'll swap these for some stock pipes.. They do sound good though

1985 CCX 08-24-2019 09:16 AM

Craig “Cobrakwiki” is a great resource

jhv48 08-25-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E5USMC (Post 1465636)

Thanks!!!

Varmit has offered you his modified SPF sidepipes in trade for your stock pipes. He and I both had our pipes modified by the same company and I have nothing but good things to say about their work. Can’t tell the difference between unmodified pipes and originals. Until you start your engine. Then the difference is amazing.
I would take him up on the free exchange and then have them ceramic coated if you don’t like the black color. Saves you a lot of time and money.

E5USMC 08-26-2019 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info... I did email him for a set of pics of the pipes.

E5

Ace23 08-26-2019 01:11 PM

If your deal falls through or you change your mind I have my old 2.5" stainless steel Firefly in my garage. The pipes are not polished they are ceramic coated.