Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2019, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Side Pipes

My car currently has Superformance headers/ pipes and I’m just not thrilled with the sound. Hard to explain but it doesn’t sound that aggressive. Was looking at trying a more competition style side pipe without any packing to let my 427FE really exhale.

Any suggestions on a good company to look at that has a race exhaust for a 90” wheelbase car?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-16-2019, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

There was a recent thread that may help

Sidepipes
Old 08-16-2019, 08:52 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Firefly Stainless Steel performance pipes have been designed
Available in sounds from rorty to really snotty (your neighbors will hate you....)

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 08-18-2019, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks....I’ll do some more research. I’ve heard some great cobra exhaust and mine leaves me a little flat especially at idle.

E5
Old 08-19-2019, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

cobrakiwi, a frequent poster on this site, cut out my original 22" muffler sections and installed (welded in) these 24" sections from, Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - Products

We used the Classic Chambered 3" i.d. muffler to replace my original 2.5" i.d. muffler. The sound difference was a big WOW.

All of my original exhaust parts; primary headers, collectors and end turn-downs/brackets, were re-used. The finished side-pipe did require re-coating, but the final cost was far less expensive than replacing my entire exhaust system.

Last edited by HTM101; 08-19-2019 at 08:25 AM..
Old 08-19-2019, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I just got CSX 6079, I do not like the quality of the headers. They are welded together in pieces instead of being mandrel bent. I was thinking of buying a set from ERA, has anyone tried this? THE ERA headers and pipes are a LOT nicer and a LOT less than some of the websites advertise here...
Old 08-19-2019, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

I have the Classic Chambered Power Sticks on my FIA. I will not be
sneaking up on anyone anytime soon. Nice sound. Check out their
website.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Just another perspective, you might want to consider. Hearing loss in your latter years is no joke. Your brain tends to fill in the lack of sound with ringing. It's called tinnitus.

I always, in my adult life, used hearing protection when target shooting, if possible when hunting, when running a weed eater, mower, leaf blower, chain saw, power tools, and at work. Always while driving my Cobra, too. I still suffer from hearing loss and tinnitus. It truly ruins quality of life.

I hear people on this web site belly ache about kids and their fart can mufflers, a lot. Even complain about the new Mustang GT 500 will be too loud. If the guys on this site don't like to hear it, just how much do you think it bothers the average folks.

So now I ask you, just how fricking loud do your side pipes need to be? Loud enough to get your neighbor to pass a new law?

Seriously if your engine is too quiet at idle, you might want to check the compression ratio and cam specs. It may just be a mild engine.
Buzz and Jdata like this.

Last edited by olddog; 08-19-2019 at 04:11 PM..
Old 08-19-2019, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Seriously if your engine is too quiet at idle, you might want to check the compression ratio and cam specs. It may just be a mild engine.
Yes, I agree. I have never wanted to make my cars louder.
The engines make the note loud enough from compression and camshaft, I then spend money to quieten them down to acceptable levels. Those "in the know" know the engine is not stock with an open exhaust.

Gary
Old 08-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

What you want is to sound like me. It's a combination of a big iron block FE, an old-style solid, flat tappet cam, and the ERA "quiet type" pipes. Click on the link below and feast your ears.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5USMC View Post
My car currently has Superformance headers/ pipes and I’m just not thrilled with the sound. Hard to explain but it doesn’t sound that aggressive. Was looking at trying a more competition style side pipe without any packing to let my 427FE really exhale.

Any suggestions on a good company to look at that has a race exhaust for a 90” wheelbase car?

Im in the San Diego area if you want to hear them, they are on an FE so you should have a good idea of how they would sound on yours

Thanks!!!
Ive got a set of modified Superformance side pipes, black, that I would swap for your stock side pipes
Old 08-22-2019, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     

Not to hijack, ff5 doesn't have sideline support brackets.
Anyone know where I could get a set?
Went to websites posted above, no luck.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Hey Varmint, were those pipes modified by that shop in sparks Nevada? Do they have the 3” inside diameter inserts?
If so, I highly recommend them, I measured the internal baffles in my stock SPF sidepipes and they were 1 1/2 “ inside diameter. Choked my engine and made my car sound like a Prius. Had them gutted and replaced with 3” internals and woke the engine up (as well as the neighbors).
I think varmint had his done by the same shop.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Varmit

Let me think on it. Got a few options I’m looking at !!
Old 08-23-2019, 07:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Before you spend the time and money, I suggest you back away frommthe car and isten tonit. I had only hurt mine from sitting behind the wheel and I thought the same thing. Then one day I walked away from the car while it was running and when I turned around to walk back I had to wonder whose car that was it sounded so good. Imagine my surprise to find out it was mine. the car is sound a lot different from behind-the-wheel than they do from standing next to the car 15 feet away.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 08-24-2019, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Hey Varmint, were those pipes modified by that shop in sparks Nevada? Do they have the 3” inside diameter inserts?
If so, I highly recommend them, I measured the internal baffles in my stock SPF sidepipes and they were 1 1/2 “ inside diameter. Choked my engine and made my car sound like a Prius. Had them gutted and replaced with 3” internals and woke the engine up (as well as the neighbors).
I think varmint had his done by the same shop.
yes they were. I've got a set of stainless Fire Fly's that sound about the same, so if I can I'll swap these for some stock pipes.. They do sound good though
Old 08-24-2019, 09:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Craig “Cobrakwiki” is a great resource
Old 08-25-2019, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5USMC View Post

Thanks!!!
Varmit has offered you his modified SPF sidepipes in trade for your stock pipes. He and I both had our pipes modified by the same company and I have nothing but good things to say about their work. Can’t tell the difference between unmodified pipes and originals. Until you start your engine. Then the difference is amazing.
I would take him up on the free exchange and then have them ceramic coated if you don’t like the black color. Saves you a lot of time and money.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info... I did email him for a set of pics of the pipes.

E5
Old 08-26-2019, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

If your deal falls through or you change your mind I have my old 2.5" stainless steel Firefly in my garage. The pipes are not polished they are ceramic coated.