14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     
Default Relocate metal shop

This might be the dumbest idea I've ever had. Sept 09 c.c slab gets placed in front, adjacent to shop slab, same size as shop,(20X30), original plan was to just double shop size. It would then be odd size shop.
Now, I mean to move shop forward to sit on new slab . House movers could do it, but I'm toying with the stupid idea of doing it myself. Find out weight, 6 or 8 Jack's set under truss cross beams, lift and either use wench or my pickup to pull forward. Only utility is elect, easy to disconnect and re-route. Set it down on 50 wheel dollies.

I dont understand why previous owners Put shop in its location, if I move shop view is 5 miles a cross valley, it would be great sunrises views.

I've already moved back fence back 10' , and side fence out 12', switched to aluminum fake wrought iron on side fence. View is 30' wide, moving shop would give me 60' long view 60-70 'wide, view.

view from most of backyard and pool. Need to thin out some of 80 labs on property.
ut some of the 80 oak trees to improve view.

Or is this as "hand me your beer and watch this" moment?

Bottom line can is, can it be done my insane way?? be done by an idiot with as stupid idea just I ? I love a chalange.

o it?????���� scary

Best decion,hire house mover....

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 09-02-2019 at 04:12 PM..
Old 09-02-2019, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

Well, I've read thru this and also read your signature line. I'm just not sure... but please make sure someone is at a safe distance recording all of this on video.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

in order for for any of us to give you a remotely educated reply we will need several photos of the structure.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

How strong is your wench???

Cheers, and good luck
Glen
Old 09-03-2019, 01:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     

Last line, "best decision hire house mover" says it all.
Doing it myself, just plain dumb, hold my beer moment!

Note to self: after several beers do not post crazy ideas.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 09-03-2019 at 02:11 AM..
Old 09-03-2019, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ERA 626
It was a dumb idea to try and do it myself,but here's photos of my shop just for the fun of it.
Attached Images

Last edited by 427SSSS; 09-03-2019 at 07:00 AM..
Old 09-06-2019, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

A couple of years ago we did some major foundation/structure work to our house. We were going to tear down the small 2 car garage and add a three car. I planned to use the trusses from the old garage to build a new work shop at the back of my 1 acre lot. The house mover who we were using to hold up the existing structure while a basement was added asked "what are you going to do with the old garage?" After a bit of review, he moved the old garage to the back of the lot onto a new pad that gave me an "instant" new shop. Though it was smaller then I would have liked (never big enough", watching him move it made me so glad I had him do it.

Use an experienced house mover, they know what they are doing, and sitting with a beer in hand is the best of all!

"I love work, I can watch others do it all day!"

Thom
Old 09-06-2019, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

A couple of years ago we did some major foundation/structure work to our house. We were going to tear down the small 2 car garage and add a three car. I planned to use the trusses from the old garage to build a new work shop at the back of my 1 acre lot. The house mover who we were using to hold up the existing structure while a basement was added asked "what are you going to do with the old garage?" After a bit of review, he moved the old garage to the back of the lot onto a new pad that gave me an "instant" new shop. Though it was smaller then I would have liked (never big enough", watching him move it made me so glad I had him do it.

Use an experienced house mover, they know what they are doing, and sitting with a beer in hand is the best of all!

"I love work, I can watch others do it all day!"

Thom
Old 09-06-2019, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

You will not move this yourself. Don't even think about it. After the beer wears off you'll see.

Sure hope you got permits for all the other stuff.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

chicagowil
Good advice, thanks.

twobjshelbys,
"You will not move this yourself. Don't even think about it." That sounds like a direct order, not advice, thanks for the input.
"Sure hope you got permits for all the other stuff" What other stuff are you talking about, moving a fence? No I did not get permits for that, no need. I once did a 24' X 24' living room addition without permits, house sold fine with full disclosures.

Atascadero chief building inspector: "You don't need permit for slab", then next day: "you will have to provide full engineering calculations for both slab and solar support.
structure". At the counter, he even asked his co worker: " 20' x 30' slab, how many square feet is that, duh, coworker said 600 as I asked: "would you like my calculator?"
I refuse to get permit for moving fence from idiots like that!

Bought a house in Texas on Corpus Christi Bay, both house and pool had dropped 6" on one side each, due to Portland Texas storm drain failure. It was really interesting to watch contractor level the house. The pool, rather than try and level, which would have been nuts, I suggested to contractor, use concrete saw, cut down the high side, tapering to low side, replaced tile. rebuilt deck to match "level" pool, worked great. Several contractors bid to level pool with jacks, etc., seemed nuts to me to even try!
BTW, the storm drain failed again before I moved in, and another time after I moved in and I was living there. since I was retired, I kept a close eye on the third repair, {which city paid contractor to repair his own faulty work} I was their worst nightmare, screamed bloody murder, went to city counsel meetings, gave presentation with 8x10 color photographs projected onto 10' screen, engaged neighbors, etc.,but it got repaired correctly that time, and has not failed since. I put in 35 years in public works, bridges, roads, water treatment plant remodeling, etc. Wrote, and got published in newspaper: Titled: "Somebody ought to put a tent over this circus going on in my side yard."

So if I was really crazy enough to move the shop myself, and believe me I am, I'm confident I could do it with 35 years construction/engineering practice. But, I won't, I'd rather work on Cobras then the shop relocation.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 09-07-2019 at 04:49 PM..
Old 09-08-2019, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 347
Not Ranked     

Your shop looks to be metal, clean it out brace it, especially the door openings, lift it 4 or 5 inches and set it on some pipes and roll it forward! If its just going 30 feet strait forward, two or three people should be able to push it forward easily! Although have video cameras running just incase!!!
Old 09-08-2019, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cruisin428,
Yup, metal. besides bracing, I would remove both doors at each end, brace the hell out of it. Not sure about people pushing it forward, winch, or my pickup would work well.
Yea, video for sure, either way, success or hold my beer moment.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 09-08-2019, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Found these four 1/2 windows at recycle place, put two together to make circle, cut metal wall, no studs.

Shop needed more light, wow, what a difference!!

Used two more to put same window in semi-permanent trailer, that I took 8lb sludge hammer to; gutted entire inside., 4 trips to dump, rebuilt inside to look like regular house interior, bath, kitchen/bar, studio pull out couch, and 50" TV.....man cave, near shop.
Attached Images

Last edited by 427SSSS; 09-08-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Old 09-08-2019, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bought $500.00 piece of crap trailer..
Attached Images

Last edited by 427SSSS; 09-08-2019 at 07:52 AM..
Old 09-08-2019, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

completed trailer, re-wired to 110V, connected to septic tank, still needed: furniture, TV, etc.
Through round window one can see how close shop is to trailer.

Something wrong with this site? Or me, cant edit to add photos to previous posts, makes me post new post?
Attached Images

Last edited by 427SSSS; 09-08-2019 at 08:17 AM..
Old 09-08-2019, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

view from inside trailer
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2019, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

Awhile back I had built two model homes I needed to move. The contractor picked up the homes, put them on a barge and floated them two miles down the Caloosahatchee River to their new location.

He was an experienced house mover.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The move is back on!

First, I cannot download photos to my albums, nor to my posts??? I tried 3 different times to do both over past two days.

Now, for the fun part:
I lucked out, got this great hilltop property, 5 minutes from town, from my front yard, all I can see of my neighbors is their roofs.

After removing 40 feet of back wood fence, replacing with wrought iron, I now have 40 feet of view, 4 miles, across valley. The shop, 30' long is blocking more view, don't know why POs would have placed shop in that location.

So, I found friend, almost as crazy as I am that says "it might be fun".

I placed new slab, 20' x 30' in front of existing same size metal shop. YouTube, (yea, I know, not the best place to look for advice) but they did have some ideas....

Once the shop is relocated 30' forward, I will then have 270 degree view from my backyard and even from inside the pool!

I have college movers removing everything from shop, and then come back and replace.

I'M DOING IT! and yes, I will take still photos of bracing, etc. and video of actual "hold my beer" move.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I find original paperwork on my existing metal building, built in 2011.

The seller/installer is 1/2 mile from here, I tell him I want a duplicate shop.

We shoot the bull a bit, I tell him about my wanting to relocate shop, he says: "Piece of cake", see that metal building out there, about 2/3 the size of yours, 5 of us moved it 20'" I asked if he used wheels/pipes, what to roll it on. He says, nope we just dragged it. This is the seller, the installer, the builder of the building, so it is possible, at least according to him. (and me)

Old 11-15-2019, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Frank is a runner, one day out of 20 he will sneak away to visit neighbors, crosses street, almost got hit by ups truck. So, bet this is biggest dog door you've seen, now we keep each other company in shop, safe.