21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 01:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     
Default Why the spewing of all the venom?

I don't understand.

I post about moving my shop, a metal building.
Someone posts: "You will not do it yourself, you will hire someone to do it".
Well, I stopped taking direct orders when I left the Army 50 years ago. Sure there was skepticism, I didn't know if it was possible, that's why I posted, looking for helpful ideas, but the skepticism wasn't mean spirited.
And guess what, I found the seller, the guy that built of my shop in 2011, he not only said it was a "piece of cake", he pointed to a metal display shop 2/3 the size of mine and said 5 guys moved it by just dragging it.

I post about broken cable on my lift.
Someone thinks it's funny to make a joke where someone could have been injured.

I post about wheelchair Cobra.
Someone posts that I don't know what I'm doing, that I need to draw a set of plans first.
Then, same person accuses me of "pulling everyone's chain, that I'm lying about actually attempting to build it."

I post about Bennett Cobra using 2" main tubes instead of 4".
Someone posts: "Flexible flyer". Most likely the person has never seen a Bennett up close and does not know anything about Paul.

Bob Evans used to post here, he was extremely .knowledgeable. He set up one hell of a dinner with guest speaker from Caroll Shelby's team from the 60s for a Knott's Berry Farm Kit Car Show 10+ years ago. Bob got to be friends with the guest, posted about having him over to his house for a BBQ.
Someone posts: That he was bragging, being boastful, so Bob leaves, never to post here again.
We lost a very valuable member because of a few negative, venom spewing people.

Why the negativity? Why the spewing of venom?
The old saying: If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything fits.

The other 99.99% of member here, are extremely helpful, offer great ideas, incite and suggestions, and I thank you.

To that .01% of you Poison people, I say: "GO AWAY", or at least stay away from my threads.
Gaz64, razerwire, xb-60 and 4 others like this.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 11-08-2019 at 01:34 AM..
Old 11-08-2019, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Screw 'em, keep doin' what you're doin', , move the tin building, yourself? heck yea, nothing to it! busted cable on the lift, altho I don't agree with running for the lawyers, do contact the mfg, tell them what happened, and it might give some one some insentive to check their cables from time to time Wheelchair cobra ?, you bet! some Vet or other handycaped person might never have the chance to ride in a cobra if you don't. Invite the keyboard naysayers over for some in person punch in the noses, carry on soldier!
jolsen42, eschaider, Gaz64 and 1 others like this.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I am very sorry you found my comments venomous on your wheelchair accessible cobra. My only intent was to help you make an informed decision. Best wishes to you in your various projects.
ront49 likes this.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

The presence, if not the number, of keyboard commando's who like to rain on someone else's parade instead of collaborate and help seems to be increasing. The site has a feature that allows you to block their comments so you don't see them. Sadly everyone else does and has to block them also. In time if the keyboard commando's get blocked by enough people they will get no response to their unwelcome commentary.

Ed
jolsen42 and Gaz64 like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

I was a frequent poster on this site, almost from its inception until ten years ago. I've been on dozens and dozens of other forums in that timeframe. I have to remind myself that those folks that Ed calls "keyboard commandos" have been around since the first internet discussion group formed. Some are outright trolls, some seem to enjoy inciting a little conflict, and some I think just don't stop to look objectively at what they're about to post to consider how it will sound to others.

Like you, 427SSSS, I fondly remember the days when posts by Big Bob Evans, Cal Metal, Terry Krystofiak, and some of the other early members were frequent. Through this site I befriended all of those folks, and ended up spending time with them at their homes and at racetracks around the country. Through those three guys I not only found myself in the almost-unbelievable position of being on Phil Remington's Christmas card list (I treasure every one of those cards--what an amazing, amazing guy) but also driving around the paddock of the Monterey Historics in CSX2196, the Ken Miles "Flip Top" Cobra. For somebody who grew up reading and re-reading every Cobra book and article he could find, those were pinch-me moments that I owe to this forum and great people like them.

I recently returned here after that 10-year hiatus and find that many things have changed. Not everything--Mr. Bruce is still kicking ass with his fiberglass wizardry, and there is still a core group of helpful and knowledgeable members along with a lot of folks who are maybe less-informed about Cobras but no less enthusiastic--but there does seem to be more vitriol and sarcasm in many posts. It's ironic that one of the stickies on the All Cobra Talk main page, just above the most recent topics, is the one titled "Respect, respect, respect!" I've looked at that more than once after reading a really disrespectful post someone has just put up and thought about that dichotomy.

When I got back on this forum it initially saddened me a little that as time moves on the interest in these cars is slowly dying, or changing at least. Whereas 15 years ago I think it's safe to say that most replica builders were striving to duplicate original cars as best as their particular kit allowed, now there's a huge contingent of manufacturers and owners who primarily like the basic Cobra shape but aren't concerned much about authenticity. As I said that initially bothered me, but I realize that I should just be happy that people continue to be drawn to the cars and that it's natural that folks are going to want to incorporate new technologies and a more modern look. There will still be a contingent of us who are interested in things like CSX numbers, Beclawat badges, and Leveroll medallions, but probably as many or more who want metallic orange cars and 19" wheels. I'm good with that.

But I digress. A lot, LOL. I do hope we can keep the level of civility high on this site. There are too many things that divide us these days, and cars shouldn't be among them. They should be a retreat from real life. Hopefully Club Cobra continues to exist and the respect continues as well--this site has been too valuable to too many for far too long to just fade away or devolve into some lesser form.

Soapbox Mode <<off>>

Bob
Old 11-08-2019, 10:51 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

As I have only been a member since Sep. 2016, (Newbie) , but a Cobra fan my whole life, as one 8yo kid that got a 3-lap ride with the great "Ken Miles" at speed. This site has brought not only a wealth of info, parts, etc. I could have never finished my Classic Roadster without the club's help, some member wouldn't even take any money for their parts, try that in the Porsche, Corvette, etc. club's . , but the most important thing it's brought is "Friends" We have a saying here in the PNW region of Club Cobra. "Before we had Cobra friends, now we have Friends that own Cobras" that's a huge difference right there. I now have (I believe) life long friends here, from all over the world, some I've met, other I may never. The good out weigh the bad 99.99% to .001% so 427SSSS, hang in there we're here for you. Very nice post too, Bob (Snakeeyes) Cheers Tom.
snakeeyes and xb-60 like this.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great post OP!!!!
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All I can say is the sites better now as far as a holes knocking other people then it was back late 90s early 2000 when I worked for Shelby they wanted me to go on club cobra I started reading some of the post it seem like most of the time somebody would post something and somebody else would attack it so I stayed away. I started looking at it In 2015 decided to join it and for most part a lotta information and not too many a holes.
When somebody customize their cobra as long as they’re happy with it that’s all it matters.
Tom
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Been on a few sites, some times they think they are being funny or had a couple of drinks and hit the send button
Old 11-09-2019, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

This site is quite tame as far as the ballbusting goes. Many others I visit are far worse.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     

First off, I want to thank all that posted positive responses!

Next, I'm going to borrow snakeeyes soap box, one because I think this is an important subject, and second, I think I have more to add, and also a couple of cool stories.

snakeeyes
did you happen to make the Bob Evans dinner at knotts, may have been 15+ years ago?
Bob Evans, did an awesome job, I think it was Calamity Janes or similar place, he rented room, had Phil Rementon talk (I did not remember who it was), and Bob, being Bob set it up so he interviewed Phill like on a Jay leno show, and then we could ask questions, awesome, He also had 6" metal Cobras at each table, that he raffled off. and his wife found chocolates, Not cobras, but a handful at each table. The food was very good. Bob did this all on his own, no help that I know of.

Bob was one of the tallest guys in the club and I am one of the shortest guys in the club, we had a lot of fun with that..Before he started the dinner, he said, wait a minute I have somethin special for a friend, he pulled a high chair out of closet with a five point harness attached, came to my table, removed my chair and put this high chair in its place, we hooked up the harness, and that's how I ate my dinner, fun, cool., crazy guy, I loved/ love him to this day. So sorry has gone. He was 289 guy, I was/am 427 guy.

Now Tim Figuar, he had a dune buggy business for 40+ years. I heard from Paul Bennett that Tim had Cobra body mold for sale, I went up, put deposit, asked that he make me a body, as I was looking at negative, not sure what I was buying, told tim, we were using My mold, so should be cheaper. Two weeks later he called me and said body ready. I went up, and as we are loading body onto trailer, Tim stops, I look at him, still remember that impish grin he had on. and I said NO, the cobra community will kill us, we'll have to wear bags over our head, Tim, being Tim, who could have passed a look alike contest for Richard Petty, said: crew Em"
So we placed the Cobra body onto an empty VW chassis, the rest is history.
I did get an email from one the 5 or 10 first Cobra mfg., that said he did the same thing, put cobra on VW chassis, I won't say who, because the trolls will give him flack. All kit cars, lamborginies, ferries were on VW chassis in the late 60s, early 70s, so why not a Cobra?

Well, we went to Kontts show, maybe 15 years ago, and he entered the VW chassis into the under 10,000 class and took 2nd place, I enter my car, which only need paint, she was street ready, in the under construction category and took first place, I had placed one of Tims bodies onto a FF5 chassis. 666 racing circle on her.

We had a blast, I took my brother with me, Tim's daughter met us there.

Oh, Tim, when we decided to do VW Cobra, I took up, windshield, gass cap, lights, everyting except the body, and when I went to see Time, he would put me to work. One time, when I went up, he had windshield placed vertically, like a dune buggy, after all, that's what he built for 40 years, Next time I went up I took him a book showing what cobras are "suppose" to look like and that I thought we should paint car blue with white stripes so it would look like reg cobra. Next time I went up, Tim had painted car with dune buggy silver metal flake. Tim was Tim. At kontts show she was deemed the fishing lure. Pissed Tim off, so he said, I have Porsche engine at my shop, we are going to install that and kick ass on 427 cobras. No weight. Two weeks later Tim passed in his sleep. His son called me and said isn't this your mold? Yup, I went to pick up and asked about VW cobra which was sorta 1/2 mine, he said he had sold it.

Thanks for the use of the soap box.
snakeeyes likes this.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 11-09-2019 at 01:48 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Hahaha, use that soap box any time you like! It’s not mine—I’m pretty sure it belongs to my wife.

Big Bob is one of a kind. 7’2” tall and living proof that anyone can fit into a Cobra if they play with the seat and footboxes enough. He is a great guy who I’ve unfortunately lost touch with over the last decade. You’re right—he is as generous as they come. He bought an ‘02 Z06 ‘Vette and starting tracking it; when he heard I’d never been on track he invited me to fly to Utah and share his car for a two-day event at Spring Mountain. He paid for everything and would accept no compensation; all I had to do was fly out there. He’s a talented driver and a natural instructor who didn’t just turn me loose; we spent most of the first day with him riding shotgun and giving me instructions. By the last session of the weekend I had been moved from Novice to Intermediate and turned a few laps that were competitive with some of the Advanced drivers. More importantly he had not only taught me how to drive reasonably quickly but in a very safe manner. I had an absolute blast and have been doing track days ever since.

Only problem was that he’s so tall that he removed the driver’s seat and literally drove sitting on the floor of the car! He brought some foam pads thinking we could fashion a “seat” for my 6’ tall frame but they didn’t really work and I ended up driving from the floor, too. It worked but I spent the weekend peering over the top of the steering wheel. I bought some pics taken at the event from a professional photographer and in them I look like a little kid driving daddy’s car, LOL.

I didn’t make the Knott’s thing but I remember when he did that. Around that same time he arranged for me, Cal Metal, and Jeff Karnitz to fly out to his place in San Diego for a BBQ and meeting with Rem. It was my first time meeting him and I was gobsmacked. But he was such a nice guy and seemed so amused that anyone thought he was someone special. So humble. His wartime service in a B-24 Liberator would have been enough for him to reach idol status in my eyes, but that was literally the tip of the iceberg with Phil. A couple of years later thanks to him and Bob Evans, I found myself standing outside the Ford tent at Monterey. Just a little chat circle comprised of Dan and Evi Gurney, Sir John Whitmore, Bob Bondurant, Rem—and me. I’m a nobody and I swear it was the most surreal thing I’d ever experienced.

Some good people are into Cobras.
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by snakeeyes; 11-09-2019 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Stupid Autocorrect
Old 11-09-2019, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Great stories! Remington was a giant in the racing community. I believe the story goes that Shel rented the shop that Lance Reventlow's Scarabs had been based in and Phil was there when he showed up.

Last edited by t walgamuth; 11-09-2019 at 02:36 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 02:44 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

There are still quite a few of the early folks who lurk on the site, we have less and less to say these days for various reasons, so our public posting count has dwindled....Yet, we still remain.

Bill
snakeeyes, maurice19 and eschaider like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-09-2019, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill, I’m pretty sure when you leave here they’ll turn the lights out after you!
Old 11-09-2019, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Agreed, I made a comment about the lift. I explained how to properly use the saftey stops on a lift and this TROLL HAUSS made some stupid ass comment about the condition of the floor in my shop..

Some people have nothing better to do than find something to stir the pot... I really wish this site had a moderator that would eject these kind of trolls its not needed here... good post man...
Old 11-09-2019, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

(Removed duplicate post)

Last edited by snakeeyes; 11-09-2019 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: Duh
Old 11-09-2019, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Some people just have to be mean
Old 11-10-2019, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In my page I still have posted:
Interests
Kicking tall guys in the shins. (as a tribute to Bob)

snakeeyes
Wow! I'm Jealous, you went to a BBQ at Big Bobs house. Oh and Phil Remington was there too
Great stories about Bob, thanks.
My Dad was a tail gunner on B-24s/B17s, shot down over Italy, made it home.
I was with the First Cav, proud of that. Not quite sure I'm completely home yet.

To the trolls, you not only chased Bob away, but you cut off this clubs access to Phil Remington, through Bob. So much information lost.
All Bob was posting was about a BBQ in his backyard, like any of us might posts about a BBQ with friends, and you a-hole trolls, accused him of boasting/bragging that he had one of Shelbys originals over to his house.
Alfa02 likes this.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

427, thank you. My dad was a hull gunner in a Sherman tank in Belgium in WWII. He was standing outside of a building when a furious mortar attack came in, killing everyone around him and leaving him with legs full of shrapnel. A bunch of his college buddies he enlisted with were killed, and to add insult to injury (literally) he was initially reported KIA to his parents. Typically for his (greatest) generation he would not talk about it; it took me 62 years to finally get him to tell me his story. When I was a kid I would occasionally see him picking at his legs with tweezers; I never thought anything about it. I asked him about it later and he casually mentioned that, over 30 years after his injury, shards of metal would still work their way to the surface of his skin.