Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz, 350 'Vette & Muncie, & Jag rear
Not Ranked     
Default Need Advice On Getting Texas Title For My Arntz

For the past 2 years I've been building my Arntz, and the finish line is getting in sight. I now need to know how to get it titled. The frame doesn't have a serial number that I can find, and the pad on the 350 'vette block doesn't have a number stamped on it. I did get a bill of sale when I bought the car with the body, frame, motor, trans & jag rear.

Can I get advice on what I need to do to get it titled here in Texas ? I'm in Waco.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-11-2019, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Jim, I posted this on the TCC DFW Facebook page to see if anyone there can help. I hope to see you at the Texas Cobra Club Spring Meet in San Marcos the first weekend of April. http://www.texascobrameet.com/
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 11-12-2019, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

Go to the DMV and or State Police. Then talk to an attorney and get a copy of the law.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I'm about to run down this same road in TX. My car is previously titled but never registered in NY. I was just advised by another Cobra friend to form a LLC in Montana and register the car there if I have issues in Texas. I'm told that it's about $1,100 complete. The car never needs to go to Montana. Anyone done or heard of this? Perhaps this can help you with your Anrtz too?
Old 11-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Also, Jim - do a search on posts from "ElMariachi" here on Club Cobra. His name was Jim as well, and he did many posts on Texas registration. He was a great friend of mine who unfortunately he passed away just a few months ago, but he was very knowledgeable on TX title and registration issues. Perhaps a review of his posts may help?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Some DFW guys had some info. over here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasClubClubDFW/
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 11-12-2019, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, guys. I was hoping that someone had recently gone thru this experience and could tell me exactly how to get it done. In searching CC for answers most of the links to State of Texas websites no longer work.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Coleman; 11-13-2019 at 03:25 AM..
Old 11-13-2019, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #828
Not Ranked     

Go to the source, the Texas DMV Assembled Vehicle manual.

https://www.txdmv.gov/publications-t...vehicle-manual
Old 11-13-2019, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I'll study the manual.

Jim
Old 11-14-2019, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

This Thread:

Texas ASVE Title and the VTR-63 Form?

However since you have a corvette frame (?) of a previously titled vehicle that might be a hiccup... I dont know.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 11-14-2019, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD - BDR 1381 Artic White/Silver Stripes / Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     

There is now only one prescribed way for you to register your new cobra according to current TX DMV regs. The DMV has embodied the guidance from the legislature in the Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual (see the link in the first post above). You need to download that and read the portions that pertain to assembled vehicles and custom vehicles. Your cobra will become a Custom Vehicle, Replica 1965 Ford, with a year of manufacture as called out by your MSO/MCO, and manufacturer as stated on the MSO/MCO.

The DMV is very strict in the manual .. The VTR 852 for a new assembled vehicle must be signed by an ASE Certified Master Technician who is current in categories A1 through A8. The technician must provide you with a print out of his certificate status report that shows he is current in all 8 categories (that is what makes him a Master technician).

The steps are in this order:
Get an insurance card that describes the car as a "1965 Ford 2DR Roadster (or Convertible) Replica."
Go to the county title clerk and get a 30 day paper tag so you can legally drive the car to the ASE inspection and certified public scales.
Have the ASE inspection done and VTR 852 signed (the ASE will need to see the insurance card)
Have the car weighed and get a weight certificate at a truck stop

Proceed to the county title and registration office with the following:
VTR-61 Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, bearing the signature of the assembler, plus the invoices for chassis, motor, trans,
VTR-130U Title Application, description exactly per the MSO
VTR-852 ASE Inspection augmented by the ASE Certification print out from the inspector,
VTR-63 Component Part Bill of Sale,
Weight certificate,
Photo or rubbing of the VIN plate,
3 photos of your car,
1 photo of an original 1965 Cobra,
MSO
Your checkbook.

As far as DMV is concerned, you are titling a new assembled vehicle that you purchased as a collection of components. Never mind how it seems to have arrived in your possession as a complete automobile. The presumption is that any sales tax due on these components has already been paid by you when you bought them. So there is no 6.25% vehicle sales tax due on a car registered in this way. Now if you bought a previously registered car with a title, then it is a different story. That would be a used car and tax is due.

None of this is difficult. Tedious, yes. Pain in the posterior, yes. If you can do your Federal Income Tax, this is not hard. Stupid? Sure. Good luck! Report back on how it went so others can learn ...
Old 11-14-2019, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's what I don't have:

No VIN plate, or MSO.

What do I do about that ? How do I get an assigned VIN # ? Need a VIN# to get insurance.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by Jim Coleman; 11-14-2019 at 06:59 PM..
Old 11-15-2019, 12:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcobra15 View Post
This Thread:

Texas ASVE Title and the VTR-63 Form?

However since you have a corvette frame (?) of a previously titled vehicle that might be a hiccup... I dont know.

The frame is an original Arntz unit without a serial number. The motor is a 350 Corvette. The car has never been titled, and doesn't have a VIN number.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coleman View Post
Here's what I don't have:

No VIN plate, or MSO.

What do I do about that ? How do I get an assigned VIN # ? Need a VIN# to get insurance.

Thanks,

Jim
Download this manual and read every page. Twice. Especially chapter 4.

https://www.txdmv.gov/publications-t...vehicle-manual

Without a VIN, I am thinking you will need TX DPS to inspect the vehicle and assign a VIN.

Without an MSO, I have no idea how to proceed.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 11-15-2019, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here ya go.. You're the manufacturer. Print your own.

https://www.buymco.com/