Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2019, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Just use a stainless plate on the header and mild steal on the side pipes. Use the same paint on mild steal plate as the side pipe. I think it would work just fine.

The stuff the others recommended, my seal it up for you. Give it a try if you like. You can always do the flanges later if it doesn't hold up.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

BTW - Indiana has a Cobra Club. Dirty Harry is a part of that club (president maybe). He is a great guy. A few other fellows from your great state come to the London Ohio Cobra show every year. Great fellows all. I look forward to saying hello to them every year. If you haven't linked up with them yet, I highly recommend you do so.

It's hard to claim a person you see once a year for 14 years is a close friend, but I always feel honored, when I speak to him.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just use a stainless plate on the header and mild steal on the side pipes. Use the same paint on mild steal plate as the side pipe. I think it would work just fine.
Depending on the car, it may not be possible to weld flanges on to the headers. On my ERA for example, each header tube needs to be installed on the car one at a time. If you weld each individual header pipe together to form one solid header per side, you wouldn't be able to install it in the car (at least not without pulling the motor).
Old 12-14-2019, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
BTW - Indiana has a Cobra Club. Dirty Harry is a part of that club (president maybe). He is a great guy. A few other fellows from your great state come to the London Ohio Cobra show every year. Great fellows all. I look forward to saying hello to them every year. If you haven't linked up with them yet, I highly recommend you do so.

It's hard to claim a person you see once a year for 14 years is a close friend, but I always feel honored, when I speak to him.
I am a member....a really congenial group of guys!
Old 12-14-2019, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ428CJ View Post
Depending on the car, it may not be possible to weld flanges on to the headers. On my ERA for example, each header tube needs to be installed on the car one at a time. If you weld each individual header pipe together to form one solid header per side, you wouldn't be able to install it in the car (at least not without pulling the motor).
Yeah, I don't think they will come out without cutting as it is.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I looked at them yesterday and am wondering if I can pull out the side pipes with the parts that curve in at the fender and cut a slit in the pipe then put a stout flat clamp on them...thoughts?
Old 01-06-2020, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am back to the obvious and most simple conclusion. I'm gonna try the sealant and see what happens.

I may also try packing string similar to what is used on old fashioned plumbing valves.

I found one a suitable size that is good up to 500 degrees f. Do you all agree that 500 degrees should be good 5' from the engine?

Thanks fellows for all the kind assistance and information.

Last edited by t walgamuth; 01-06-2020 at 07:43 AM..
Old 01-06-2020, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These should work depending on the size of your primaries. Getting them installed will require removal of the side pipes though I think.

42MM (1.615") Headers should be 1 5/8" or 1.625"
https://www.europaparts.com/exhaust-...91253141a.html

or 45mm (1.77") for the sidepipe slipover area to header primarys
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/378...mp-45mm-45X95/
t walgamuth likes this.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I looked at them yesterday and am wondering if I can pull out the side pipes with the parts that curve in at the fender and cut a slit in the pipe then put a stout flat clamp on them...thoughts?
I did something similar. I started with a solid piece of stainless steel rod. I drilled out the center, welded it to the side pipe and then cut a slice in it. I can now clamp the sidepipe down over the header pipe. While still not perfect it did make a huge difference in helping eliminate exhaust leaks. I'll try to attach a picture.

t walgamuth likes this.

Last edited by CJ428CJ; 01-06-2020 at 04:37 PM..
Old 01-06-2020, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
These should work depending on the size of your primaries. Getting them installed will require removal of the side pipes though I think.

42MM (1.615") Headers should be 1 5/8" or 1.625"
https://www.europaparts.com/exhaust-...91253141a.html

or 45mm (1.77") for the sidepipe slipover area to header primarys
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/378...mp-45mm-45X95/
Thanks very much for looking this up! My pipes are 2" od it appears.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ428CJ View Post
I did something similar. I started with a solid piece of stainless steel rod. I drilled out the center, welded it to the side pipe and then cut a slice in it. I can now clamp the sidepipe down over the header pipe. While still not perfect it did make a huge difference in helping eliminate exhaust leaks. I'll try to attach a picture.

That looks very good! I am going to try sealing it with the packing rope and permatex first. If that doesn't work I can try this one!