17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

I would say those are fair prices except for the coupe which looks like a bargain
Old 01-18-2020, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS427 View Post
Copper description, " This car’s only miles come from rolling on and off a trailer for car shows, so it’s close to new. The engine compartment is stuffed with a rare all-aluminum 427ci single overhead cam V8 engine,"
Not driven. Are you thinking about it Mike?
No interest in a copper or bronze car. I like my aluminum car. I would have painted it but it was a pain to get that done when new. The polished finish is easy to take care of but I would still like paint. But no copper or bronze - heavier, tarnishes and no functional benefit.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

I was there.

All the cars are a work of art.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 01-19-2020, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I really thought they were going to go for a lot more considering. especially the Daytona Coupe. I figured that would be well in the 190's to even the low 200k range.

Resto-Mod Corvettes, and rare GM cars are the big money makers. If you do not have those to sell, you aren't getting the big bucks.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:27 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Was I the only one, to see the blemishes & swirl marks on all the polished Krikhams? As the camera panned around the cars, dark, light, shiny, and dull, spots everywhere. For these to be on Nationwide TV, I don't think they bode well for the beautiful polished Krikham's. I'm thinking it was the quick detail guy's there just before they go on stage, that cause it. Too bad. Cheers TommyRot, Morning Karlos
Old 01-19-2020, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post

Resto-Mod Corvettes, and rare GM cars are the big money makers..
Those cars were CRAZY $$$$$$.
joyridin' likes this.

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 01-19-2020, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
You know the old saying...only worth what someone is willing to pay. IMHO every Kirkham isn't worth what they are priced at. Is it a collector thing? A prestige thing? Maybe but as far as value looking at the total construction package and the materials used, way overpriced. I have no use for those kind of things..........IMHO

Fred
I don't see how you can think that way.

The original cars are worth 6-7 figures based on their history (pedigree) and rareness. Somewhere north of 1300 total SB and 427 were built. No more will ever exist, and it is supply verses demand that drives the price.

Now lets be honest and compare an original to a Kirkham, in terms of design and quality of parts. A Kirkham is superior in every way. It is flat out a better car anywhere you want to look.

Now compare Kirkham to a top of the line Corvette or any other so called supercar. Remember it was only recent years that the Corvette finally surpassed some of the records that the original 427 Cobra's set, fifty plus years ago. You get into some of the exotic cars and a Kirkham is cheap. In my mind no other car has the wow factor of a Kirkham Cobra, and you can put as much power into it as you want (within reason of course).

I challenge you to go out on your own, design, and build a car equal to a Kirkham for less money. Then realize Kirkham is doing this and making a profit, which is the entire point of any business.

PS
If you were trying to say that there are some very nice Fiberglass replicas out there for much less (1/3) money and you could never justify spending the extra money for a Kirkham, or a TOL Corvette or any of the super cars, then yes I agree. There are lots of people out there that prefer a good beer over fine wine and champagne, but that does not mean champagne is overpriced. It just means you cannot afford it (at least in your mind).
Dominik and maurice19 like this.

Last edited by olddog; 01-19-2020 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: PS
Old 01-19-2020, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Was I the only one, to see the blemishes & swirl marks on all the polished Krikhams? As the camera panned around the cars, dark, light, shiny, and dull, spots everywhere. For these to be on Nationwide TV, I don't think they bode well for the beautiful polished Krikham's. I'm thinking it was the quick detail guy's there just before they go on stage, that cause it. Too bad. Cheers TommyRot, Morning Karlos
No you are not the only one. And frankly, I think that detracts from the price. Instead of saying "Wow, that's cool polished aluminum that I have to have", the typical buyer says "Good grief, why didn't they paint it, so now I've got to put another 30K into it".
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

The whims of the collector car market always amaze me. A few years ago a Hemi ‘Cuda was a million-dollar car. Yesterday the most perfectly restored, numbers-matching example I’ve ever seen went for $155,000.00. Per the broadcast the resto receipts were four inches thick and totaled over $250K. And yet there were lifted Ford diesel pickups going for north of $100K.

Ford GTs were also sure money, as were all the “Eleanor” Mustang replicas. Personally I’ll never understand the appeal of the Eleanor cars. But obviously they have appeal.
joyridin' likes this.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cost vs. value. Cost is whatever you can get somebody to pay. Value is what it's actually worth to YOU. Along those lines somebody that just wants a "Cobra" as a daily driver would have no more "value" in a Kirkham vs. a Factory Five. Just my opinion, yours may be different.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
And yet there were lifted Ford diesel pickups going for north of $100K.
Trucks are the new Mopars. Have been for a couple of years.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... went for $155,000.00. Per the broadcast the resto receipts were four inches thick and totaled over $250K.
Many times the commentators will state that restorations rarely recoup the cost. At best it's free labor.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Trucks are the new Mopars. Have been for a couple of years.
For sure. Around where I live a modded F450 will get far more attention than an F50. I’m the original owner of an ‘03 Dodge diesel dually, and these days I can’t stop for fuel without someone asking me if it’s for sale. When they hear the mileage (just over 50K) it drives them wild. I take care of my stuff so it’s in nice shape, but I bought it as a workhorse to pull horse trailers and race cars, and it’s bizarre to me that folks view trucks like that as collector’s items now.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
For sure. Around where I live a modded F450 will get far more attention than an F50. I’m the original owner of an ‘03 Dodge diesel dually, and these days I can’t stop for fuel without someone asking me if it’s for sale. When they hear the mileage (just over 50K) it drives them wild. I take care of my stuff so it’s in nice shape, but I bought it as a workhorse to pull horse trailers and race cars, and it’s bizarre to me that folks view trucks like that as collector’s items now.
My '04 Ram 1500 has just over 100K and the desert sun has beat the paint on a couple a fender and end gate that got repainted over the years. I'm probably going to get a complete repaint and touch up some other minor dings while I'm at it. It's a new truck otherwise. The only thing I can complain about is the heat/ac baffle seems stuck (apparently a common failure).
Old 01-19-2020, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
My '04 Ram 1500 has just over 100K and the desert sun has beat the paint on a couple a fender and end gate that got repainted over the years. I'm probably going to get a complete repaint and touch up some other minor dings while I'm at it. It's a new truck otherwise. The only thing I can complain about is the heat/ac baffle seems stuck (apparently a common failure).
Mine has the same issue with the baffle, I think, but it’s intermittent. Yes, repaint that truck and then in about ten years we can run them across the block at B-J and watch them bring in the big bucks
Old 01-19-2020, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mine has the same issue with the baffle, I think, but it’s intermittent.
I searched for this and one of the Dodge forums indicates this is a very common problem. You have to remove the whole dash although some claim you can simply "loosen it" if you know what you're doing. It's one of those "the first time I did it I took the whole thing apart but I know a shortcut the second time". That experience is how auto repair that charge by the book make money since after the first time it never takes that long.

Quote:
Yes, repaint that truck and then in about ten years we can run them across the block at B-J and watch them bring in the big bucks
And I can claim "numbers matching" to make it worth even more
Old 01-19-2020, 12:39 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:

as were all the “Eleanor” Mustang replicas. Personally I’ll never understand the appeal of the Eleanor cars. But obviously they have appeal.
A replica of a non-existent "Shelby" from a crappy movie and someone thinks it's worth 300K!?!?

I understand some of the "original" restomods going for money, they aren't cheap to build and I would guess most are sold at a loss of time and money so if you want one, a good way to go but those "Eleanors"..............
snakeeyes likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-20-2020, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

The lights on stage didn't do any favors for the Cobras, I'm not sure why. In the display gallery, they looked amazing. The bronze Cobra was very well presented, the copper and aluminum Cobras could have used some more preparation. The aluminum, bronze and copper Cobras had the stainless chassis option.
Attached Images

Last edited by TimG427; 01-20-2020 at 05:58 AM..
Old 01-20-2020, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Hopefully the new owners might actually DRIVE the cars, but I know that's highly unlikely.
Their money, their car.
As for me, I don't spend much time doing the wax-on, wax-off thing. My car is for MY enjoyment and that entails lots of driving along with the inherent dangers like stone chips and nicks and dings and maybe the rare off road experience.

Hey, TommyRot
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

I'm pretty sure the new owner will drive the bronze one.
Jamo likes this.