Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2020, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Tips on identifying make/mfg?

Hello All. I've got a car and I'd like to figure out who made it, as it needs some TLC, but as i go though it I don't know much about what I'm looking at. Also I'm just curious. Anyway, if i could determine the kit mfg/assembler it might at least be a starting point.

Things I know: It has a 427FE Sideoiler. It has a CSX Plate/VIN, but it doesn't match any "real" chassis number series (original or continuation), so I think the builder just made it up. Fiberglass body. 6 speed Trans.

Things I think I know: Built in the early 90's. I was told it uses a Jaguar suspension. Looking underneath there are 2 struts on each rear control arms... that is one standout unique feature I can see for sure. Wheels are real spinners, I've been told 'real' magnesium.

Does this information give me any real clue as to who might have originally built it? What other identifying features I should look for that could tell me? There is nothing obvious on any visible surface regarding branding or serial numbers or production lot codes. Other than the apparently fake Shelby American, Inc badge.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Pics are going to be essential... It may take a few posts before you can attach them to the post but you can use one of the hosting sites and then post a link.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Pics are going to be essential... It may take a few posts before you can attach them to the post but you can use one of the hosting sites and then post a link.
Sure, I got lots of pics, will work on getting the post count up so I can post.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

The blank CSX VIN plates can be purchased online from a number of suppliers, so that won't provide any insight. Let us know when you have pictures. As Tony said, you can use a picture hosting site like Flickr or Google Photos to upload them if you have problems here because of your post count.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have a cross bolted FE in my '66 Fairlane. Fake cross bolts on a 390 block.

Make sure you get a 427 if you pay for one.\

I have seen a couple of Cobras with fake 427 blocks.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Tons of blank VIN plates available online, I’ve also seen fake FE valve covers on a Windsor. Be double dog sure what you are dealing with .
Old 01-22-2020, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I have a cross bolted FE in my '66 Fairlane. Fake cross bolts on a 390 block.

Make sure you get a 427 if you pay for one.\

I have seen a couple of Cobras with fake 427 blocks.

Now that's an interesting thought. Lucky me, I've got a good friend who is a pro engine builder, he's already offered to go through the motor with me to assess its condition... if anything is amiss there, he would spot it.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I know ERA used Jag rear ends, but I do not know if they existed in 1990.

It seems to me I saw a Unique with a Jag rear end. Not sure about that.

Of course anyone can do anything, but as far as manufactures who used Jags, that should narrow the list down to a handful.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If i can share a link for now, this should take you to a shared Google drive folder. I had these on my phone... I realize I have no future career as a photographer. I'll snap some better pics when i get a chance.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12E...y6tpKEi2Toqa5t
Old 01-22-2020, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Not much to go by from the pics, except that it does indeed have a Jag IRS, but the key takeaway is that it has 4" round main frame rails.
Of the major manufacturers in the 90's that used Jaguar rear suspensions, four come to mind: ERA, Contemporary, Unique and Everett Morrison - all well-respected and generally highly regarded brands. Of those four, only Contemporary and Everett Morrison featured round tube main frame rails, so my initial guess is that it is one of those two.
They both had similar body shapes, and its quite likely that the Everett Morrison body was a splash of the Contemporary. If I had to guess between the two, I would say its likely to be Everett Morrison, as Contemporary is/was (debatably) regarded as the premier 'glass bodied replica in its day and most owners are very conscious of the brand. If it is a Contemporary with a well known signature CCX---- vin number, in all likelihood it would be openly advertised as such.
Having said all of that, without better photos of the body, interior, engine bay, chassis and suspension; this is pure speculation and it could be something else entirely.
cycleguy55 likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-22-2020, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
I know ERA used Jag rear ends, but I do not know if they existed in 1990.

It seems to me I saw a Unique with a Jag rear end. Not sure about that.

Of course anyone can do anything, but as far as manufactures who used Jags, that should narrow the list down to a handful.
ERA has been around since the late 70s or early 80s. I have one of their info packets circa 1982 or '83, when I was a Cobra-drooling teenager.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Not much to go by from the pics, except that it does indeed have a Jag IRS, but the key takeaway is that it has 4" round main frame rails.
Of the major manufacturers in the 90's that used Jaguar rear suspensions, four come to mind: ERA, Contemporary, Unique and Everett Morrison - all well-respected and generally highly regarded brands. Of those four, only Contemporary and Everett Morrison featured round tube main frame rails, so my initial guess is that it is one of those two.
They both had similar body shapes, and its quite likely that the Everett Morrison body was a splash of the Contemporary. If I had to guess between the two, I would say its likely to be Everett Morrison, as Contemporary is/was (debatably) regarded as the premier 'glass bodied replica in its day and most owners are very conscious of the brand. If it is a Contemporary with a well known signature CCX---- vin number, in all likelihood it would be openly advertised as such.
Having said all of that, without better photos of the body, interior, engine bay, chassis and suspension; this is pure speculation and it could be something else entirely.
Adding to what Buzz said, Contemporaries have always been distinct to me for two reasons: one, their front wheel openings are trimmed tighter to the wheel/tire than an original car's and also compared to most kits; and two, their roll bar doesn't stick up as far as an original car or other kits like an ERA. I can't tell much about the front wheel opening from your pics, but to my eye that looks like a Contemporary roll bar.
Buzz likes this.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also, the rear "leg" of the rollbars on Contemporaries comes down at a much shallower angle than original cars. Here's a pic of one, taken from a similar angle to your behind-the-cockpit shot; again, yours looks like a Contemporary to me. You could do a lot worse--they're very good cars.

Buzz and Alfa02 like this.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

True dat The roll bar and the shape of the rear fender definitely look like a Contemporary.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-22-2020, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

I'm in agreement with Buzz and snakeeyes that its likely Contemporary, which definitely used Jag rear suspension as well as Jag torsion bar front suspension, which should confirm it as Contemporary if that's what it has. Also, Contemporary used single rectangular tail lamps VS the double round lamps used by E-M.

BTW, that car will need much more than "some TLC" based on the photos. ��
Buzz likes this.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks all for your help! So many of you were correct - it is a Contemporary.

Quick back story: It is owned by a relative who's been unable to really care/maintain the car as well as it should have been. Basically it has sat in a garage collecting dust for close to 10 years.
I had just offered to help get it fixed up a couple weeks ago and he agreed, then his health took a turn, so he never really responded to some questions i had, and I did not want to pester him about it - so i set off for my own answers.
Anyway, right on cue this morning I got a chance to speak with him and clarify a few things about the car. Among others, he confirmed it was sold to him as a Contemporary with a 427 sideoiler.

Now that I've got something to start with, are any of you familiar with a source for like a Contemporary FSM, assembly guide, or anything else that would be a good reference for me to get a hold of before I start into this project in ernest? Thanks.
Buzz and Mike I like this.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's great news for you MD, Contemporary was one of the premier replica manufacturers during their time. They were the first company I visited since they were basically in my back yard and easy to get to. In fact, sitting in their display car convinced me I had to have a cobra. I eventually went with E-M because the chassis' were near identical, but I preferred the C4 corvette suspension option E-M offered vs the Jag stuff. Best of luck with it! I'm sure someone will come along with specific technical info to help you.
Buzz likes this.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MD, there is also a subforum here that is specifically for Contemporary Cobras, if you go to the main forum menu and scroll down a little. You might try posting there regarding an assembly guide. Also, I’ve heard of non-ERA owners using the ERA assembly manual as a guide. I believe you can download the whole thing free from ERA’s website.

Edit: Here’s the ERA link. Download is free but lacks some illustrations; $30 to download the illustrated version. http://www.erareplicas.com/download.htm
MD427 likes this.

Last edited by snakeeyes; 01-23-2020 at 02:33 PM..
Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike I View Post
BTW, that car will need much more than "some TLC" based on the photos. ��
You're telling me... Aside from lots of oil, both the rear diff and trans seem to be "marking their territory".

I'm going to drain every drop of fluid out from the car. Replace any lines, fittings, hoses that are suspect. Refil. See what's still leaking. Address. Brake pads, tires will be replaced. Remove and deep clean carb. Remove valve covers, inspect engine condition. Lots of small electric stuff is out, bulbs, gauges, wipers, etc.

This is just what I know I'm doing. I also know, the real fun starts when I'm discovering the "unknown".
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good plan, it will be a labor of love...;-)