LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2020, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Oh no!!!I have a flat.

Everyone.

A flat tire is probably everyone's nightmare but I was wondering what some thoughts were about the handling or prevention of a flat tire. I put together a small kit that contains a 12v compressor, tire sealant, plug repair kit and a few small tools to pull a nail or screw out. I feel secure enough with it that I can repair anything other than a major blowout good enough to get me home.

Fred
Roger Vincent likes this.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

AAA membership. Thin and fits in the wallet.
ERA 626, ErikinSC and Bird of prey like this.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

roll of duck tape too ?
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 02-14-2020, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

I carry one of those portable jump starters and a cell phone.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Everyone.

A flat tire is probably everyone's nightmare but I was wondering what some thoughts were about the handling or prevention of a flat tire. I put together a small kit that contains a 12v compressor, tire sealant, plug repair kit and a few small tools to pull a nail or screw out. I feel secure enough with it that I can repair anything other than a major blowout good enough to get me home.

Fred
If you have a flat, away from your garage, how are you going to jack the car up to pull the wheel to plug it? It will be sitting literally on the ground -- getting a jack under the frame will be a real chore, even in the comfort of your garage.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Disappointed

A little disappointed in the responses from a group of people who usually have better ideas or think they do. AAA would be a last resort. I might use them for my Infinity but only as a last resort my Cobra. Patrick; you don't need to jack a car up to put a plug in a tire. Helpful...yes but necessary...no. Especially if you are doing it as an emergency repair.

Fred
Old 02-15-2020, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427W
Neutral     
Default Locating the leak

The last time, I had a hard time finding the leak, slow one. I had to raise the car, but a scissor jack works well for me. So, as you do, I carry the small eclectic air compressor, repair kit, jack, knock off, safety wire, hand tools.
FredG likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

I have a can of Fix a flat, a Crown Royal bag full of spares ,like a few plugs a few screwdrivers, crescent wrench and a set of half dozen wrenches. My motor has mostly Allen keys ..so that's easy ..Jacking by the way is real easy ... somewhere in the middle of the car will lift both wheels on that side off the ground ..oh and a 12v airpump
FredG likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Jack

I like the small scissor jack idea. Going to look into that today.

Fred
Old 02-15-2020, 06:31 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I like the small scissor jack idea. Going to look into that today.

Fred
I have two small supplementary scissor jacks. Compressed, they are five inches high. They will not fit under the frame of my ERA when the car has been sitting (they're just a hair too tall). However, if the car has been up on jacks, and the scissor jack is the last one to be lowered, the car will settle a little bit above the height of the scissor jack and you can pull it out from the frame. If you find yourself with a flat rear tire, out in the middle of nowhere, and all you have is one scissor jack, you're going to have a helluva time getting your rear up and off the ground. Even in the garage (where I have had a flat on the rear) you have to "work your way" up in to the air by jacking different points on the car in order to get a jack under the frame over on the side where the flat is. Doing it is almost like solving a puzzle where the trick is "OK, where do I jack in order to get enough clearance to place the next jack that will allow me to get the rear tire off the ground."
Old 02-15-2020, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I found a 1.5 ton scissor jack that lays 3-3/8 in. flat and lifts to 15-1/8 in. That should do it. I will test it when I get tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I found a 1.5 ton scissor jack that lays 3-3/8 in. flat and lifts to 15-1/8 in. That should do it. I will test it when I get tomorrow.
One thing about scissor jacks, do not use your impact gun and a socket to lower them. The twisting action of the gun will flip the jack over on to the ground and the car will come down at gravity's speed. And if you've ever seen a car drop off a jack unexpectedly, it comes down way faster than a ball drops out of your hand. It's a specific exclusion to the rule of physics and it's designed to kill and maim you. I don't like scissor jacks except as a safety backup to your jack stands and floor jack.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Jack

I would never use a scissor jack to raise any part of a car off the ground unless it was an emergency. I would only use it here to give me some fender clearance to feel the tire. These are the two items I put in my bag for tire repair and they are based on multiple reviews. I used the plug kit on my Infiniti a year ago to fix a hole made by a screw and have had no issues with it. The liquid will seal up to a 1/8 inch hole.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

A lot of FFR guys carry space saver spares in their trunks. It depends on whether you’re using bolt on or true knock off wheels, but if it’s the latter then ERA’s FAQ page says they sell a narrow spare wheel:

Harbor Freight sells a very lightweight aluminum jack with, IIRC, 1.5 ton capacity. The handle is removable and breaks down into two pieces. They’re pretty low profile, too. I have one that I’ve used for autocross and track days for over ten years and it works great. When they’re on sale at HF (which seems to be every week, if you subscribe to their sale emails), they’re as low as $59. I would get one of those, find a carrying case to keep it from sliding around, and carry it in the trunk.

Last edited by snakeeyes; 02-15-2020 at 08:40 AM..
Old 02-15-2020, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

The LJ 22 AC Cobra jack, tool kit and spare are in the trunk of my Slabside in hopes I never need to use them.

John

ERA #3010 289 Slabside BRG
FredG likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

President’s Day sale

Old 02-15-2020, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

agree AAA! why a last resort? if they cant fix it on site they can pull it up on a flatbed and get you to safety!! I personally will never be out on a freeway trying to jack up my car risking my life to do something AAA will do for free...
Old 02-15-2020, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

That's what the quick jacks are for Not!It probably isa wise idea to carry a small low profile jack, as even if you have AAA depending on where you are there could be no cell service. Sometimes you have to just roll up your sleeves and tackle the problem at hand. A can or two of fix a flat is a must.

I always carried a couple cans, a tire puncture kit, 12 volt air compressor and Found a used scissors jack (can't recall from what vehicle) that was very low profile and assorted tools.

Jim
FredG likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

This is what I carry. Made a mount for it in the trunk so it's out of the way. Lifts from 4 1/8". Tested in the garage but, fortunately, have never used in on the side of a road.

https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Steel-S...1796796&sr=8-1

Kevin
FredG likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Carry a tire plug kit, a cheap 12 volt air pump (harbor freight for about $12) and needle nose pliers at all tlmes.
Just roll the car until the nail/screw is visible in the tire. Then pull it out and insert a plug. Then hook the pump to your battery and inflate the tire. You’re back on the road again.
I’ve had plugged tires last for years. But you can have the tire professionally repaired when you get back to the barn.
If the hole is in the sidewall, you might have to call the flatbed.
FredG likes this.