19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2020, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes to both !!

That's a lovely car, Anthony.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
That's a lovely car, Anthony.

Thank you.

I built that car to replicate the car I would have ordered from Shelby in 1965/66 had I been around to order a car at that time.
snakeeyes likes this.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 03-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and 427S/C
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggsjr View Post
It looks like a nice build except for those rear tires not being in center with the rear wheel well.
Cobras are not centered in the rear, they sit slightly forward in general.
Also, the lip is different as this is one of the transition cars as I recollect meaning its not a std HiTech its one of the 17 or so that were built with a slight change in the frame and rear wheel well design. Think it was an engineering change when cars were being transitioned at the end of HiTech MFG.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 03-02-2020 at 01:32 PM..
Old 03-03-2020, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's the photo in question

There is a little distortion from the camera angle and focal length, but not enough to account for what the OP is concerned with. I agree with the OP that this looks troubling to me. I don't have an original, unrestored CSX3000 car with me to compare it to, but if I was building or buying a Cobra replica I would want this addressed. The ERA cars I've had have done very well in this respect.

Last edited by 66gtk; 03-03-2020 at 08:09 PM..
Old 03-03-2020, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     
Default image resizer

This would be a good opportunity to introduce this handy little utility. use it, please.

How to use Image Resizer for Windows | Image Resizer for Windows

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 03-03-2020, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     
Default Csx3020

Here is CSX3020 ... and yes that's me with my head buried in the foot box taking pictures of and measuring the pedals.

The current owner is a friend and very gracious to let me crawl all over it taking pics to try to replicate originality in my own build.

Anthony, Buzz, snakeeyes and 2 others like this.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!

Last edited by bwcobra15; 03-22-2021 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: cause i f'ed up
Old 03-03-2020, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Edit - never mind; they're visible now!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 03-03-2020, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Looks like photo distort on that too.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post

I agree with the OP that this looks troubling to me. I don't have an original, unrestored CSX3000 car with me to compare it to, but if I was building or buying a Cobra replica I would want this addressed. The ERA cars I've had have done very well in this respect.
Well, I think it's kind of a big job, whether you reweld the suspension mounts on the frame, or you modify the A-arms to re-position the wheels. If the wheels aren't rubbing now, and it drive's OK, maybe leave it alone ?
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 03-03-2020, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Never quite understood (Dripping, layering, spreading) all this Armor-All type crap on the Tires #1 tires don't look like that (New or Cleaned) #2 after a few miles driving the stuff flips up on the bodywork, and road dust sticks to it, and makes it look like Sh-t. #3 Tires are suppose look Black & Dry. Am I the only one here that feel's this way Thought's Boy's Cheers TommyRot.
I never use that stuff either I just scrub the tire make it clean looks great
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

Around 1990 - 1991, I flew to Phoenix to look at a Hi-Tech that belonged to an owner of a well known trucking company. Very nice car, same livery as this one, but with a SOHC mill. According to the owner, it was one of Tom D’Antonio’s early builds. What was noticeable was the very aggressive rear flare profile with a prominent, well defined lip which was very different than the cars I saw a few weeks later when I returned to Phoenix on business and combined a visit to Hi-Tech’s Tempe factory. During that visit I learned that they had recently splashed a new mold from an original Shelby AC-bodied car that was brought in for restoration, and that all future cars would use that body. The car we are discussing here features the same rear wheelwell shape and flare profile as that SOHC car I saw nearly 30 years ago, so it could be another example of one of Tom’s early efforts.

All anecdotal of course, but in any event, Hi-Tech built some beautiful cars and kits, and it could be successfully argued they were the blueprint for the CSX 4000 series cars Tom worked on during his later years with Shelby-American. Wish they were still around...
Anthony and Buzz like this.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Just another aspect of true originality that just doesn't look right.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Here is a side view of my Hi-Tech at SAAC with the rear wheel tucked forward. Also front / side view. Most of the inspiration came from CSX3020 - one of my favorite Cobra's. That and CSX3026.
Attached Images

Anthony, Buzz, snakeeyes and 2 others like this.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Beautiful car!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 03-03-2020, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose930 View Post
Here is a side view of my Hi-Tech at SAAC with the rear wheel tucked forward. Also front / side view. Most of the inspiration came from CSX3020 - one of my favorite Cobra's. That and CSX3026.
Mongoose, do you happen to know what chassis number yours is? I've yet to find one close to mine (#147).
Old 03-03-2020, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Man View Post

All anecdotal of course, but in any event, Hi-Tech built some beautiful cars and kits, and it could be successfully argued they were the blueprint for the CSX 4000 series cars Tom worked on during his later years with Shelby-American. Wish they were still around...
Yes, it's my understanding that Shelby wanted to get in the kit car business, as there were a lot of companies making money selling 427 kits. And i believe that was the motivation for him to start producing his own kit, but, unlike many of the other kits, i think he wanted his to be structurally, or near structurally, the same as the originals. Not sure whether he contacted D'Antonio, or the other way around, but i believe the CSX4000's intially were just like the Hi-Tech kit cars.

I couldn;t remember the name earlier, but I think the co-owner of Hi-Tech was a guy named tim gunning, who remained Hi-Tech owner after D'Antonio left/sold his interest in Hi-Tech.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
Mongoose, do you happen to know what chassis number yours is? I've yet to find one close to mine (#147).
The latest car that I am aware of is HTM65C0137 and I believe that was pretty close to the end. My car never had a chassis number assigned as it came out as a frame and body after Hi-Tech shut down. If you PM me your e-mail address, I can send you the Hi-Tech information that I have gathered over the past few years.

I believe the very first cars were HTR (Hi-Tech Replica) and the later cars were HTM (Hi-Tech Motorsports).
Old 03-03-2020, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes, it's my understanding that Shelby wanted to get in the kit car business, as there were a lot of companies making money selling 427 kits. And i believe that was the motivation for him to start producing his own kit, but, unlike many of the other kits, i think he wanted his to be structurally, or near structurally, the same as the originals. Not sure whether he contacted D'Antonio, or the other way around, but i believe the CSX4000's intially were just like the Hi-Tech kit cars.

I couldn;t remember the name earlier, but I think the co-owner of Hi-Tech was a guy named tim gunning, who remained Hi-Tech owner after D'Antonio left/sold his interest in Hi-Tech.
Edit: Tom D’Antonio (Tjd) is a member here; maybe he can shed some light on things. I erroneously posted earlier that CC member TimG427 was Tim Gunning; sorry about that. TimG427 owned a breathtaking Hi-Tech replica of CSX3002 and I assumed that + his username = Tim Gunning. I always did suck at math, LOL—apologies to both for the mistaken ID.
LMH likes this.

Last edited by snakeeyes; 03-03-2020 at 07:54 PM..
Old 03-05-2020, 05:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and 427S/C
Not Ranked     

Here is my MKIV, it also as originals sets forward.
Its the geometry of the suspension which CSX, AC and HiTech cars use.
ERA uses their own set up.
Attached Images

snakeeyes, LMH and Mongoose930 like this.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Here is my MKIV, it also as originals sets forward.
Its the geometry of the suspension which CSX, AC and HiTech cars use.
ERA uses their own set up.
Very nice Jeff! I didn’t know you had a MKIV! When did you get that?
Larry