Old 03-27-2020, 05:19 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Chasing a leak

Two questions for you (with my answers):

1. How much money (and trouble) have you spent chasing a leak?

Answer: I have a CSX block, Twin Paxton FE engine by Tom Lucas of FE Specialties (about 8k miles on the engine/11.5k on the KMP). Over the years I've solved some slow seaps. I found out that I DO NOT have a rear main leak. I DO NOT have a VC leak. I have a Kirkham billet oil pan witn an o-ring gasket that would get a little oily after a couple drives. I assumed (wrong) that it wasn't sealing. Recently I did a very thorough clean up, used the flourescent die and found the leak. it was coming from the remote oil block adapter on the side of the engine. The problem was that the holes on the block are a tiny bit oversized for the Kirkkam adapter. The Kirkham adapter is a beautiful piece that also uses o-rings to seal, but my CSX block has abnormally large flanged holes (CSX block/Kirkham adapter owners speak up with your experiences - maybe it's just mine). Anyways, the Shelby remote adapter appears to be a perfect fit (I made an impression on thick paper, X-Acto cut the holes and verified with the adapter, and custom cut a gasket), it's billet as well but not engineered like Kirkham. At any rate, the adpater is taller, plus I have to use NPT fittings with made it extra tall. So new oil lines and AN fittings! Yes, it's that tight with my setup. I have roughly $500 in this minor leak fix and...I didn't want to ruin my day by starting it up and possibly not having it fixed. Maybe tomorrow, definately Sunday.

2. Have you ever spent a bunch of time for "the fix", only to hold off the test because you didn't want to ruin your day after all that work?

Answer: YES
Old 03-27-2020, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Two questions for you (with my answers):

1. How much money (and trouble) have you spent chasing a leak?

Answer: I have a CSX block, Twin Paxton FE engine by Tom Lucas of FE Specialties (about 8k miles on the engine/11.5k on the KMP). Over the years I've solved some slow seaps. I found out that I DO NOT have a rear main leak. I DO NOT have a VC leak. I have a Kirkham billet oil pan witn an o-ring gasket that would get a little oily after a couple drives. I assumed (wrong) that it wasn't sealing. Recently I did a very thorough clean up, used the flourescent die and found the leak. it was coming from the remote oil block adapter on the side of the engine. The problem was that the holes on the block are a tiny bit oversized for the Kirkkam adapter. The Kirkham adapter is a beautiful piece that also uses o-rings to seal, but my CSX block has abnormally large flanged holes (CSX block/Kirkham adapter owners speak up with your experiences - maybe it's just mine). Anyways, the Shelby remote adapter appears to be a perfect fit (I made an impression on thick paper, X-Acto cut the holes and verified with the adapter, and custom cut a gasket), it's billet as well but not engineered like Kirkham. At any rate, the adpater is taller, plus I have to use NPT fittings with made it extra tall. So new oil lines and AN fittings! Yes, it's that tight with my setup. I have roughly $500 in this minor leak fix and...I didn't want to ruin my day by starting it up and possibly not having it fixed. Maybe tomorrow, definately Sunday.

2. Have you ever spent a bunch of time for "the fix", only to hold off the test because you didn't want to ruin your day after all that work?

Answer: YES
First of all congratz for being self-sufficient and troubleshooting your car yourself. It does sound like you've found the issue on the filter pick-off adapter.

Yes I've had Helicopters, Jets, Turboprops, Cars ,Trucks, Bulldozers, excavators, Backhoes, and several other types kick my arse while T/S a leak. But T/S (troubleshooting is really fault isolation) and usually involves removing the obvious items 1st and working to the middle. You'll always fix it, but you have to stay at it.

No, I never wait to check it later. Mainly because the customer wants to leave , but also to put my mind at ease. I don't like loose ends. Lastly if you're right and its fixed you'll have a great day.
BigGuy and rodneym like this.

Last edited by spdbrake; 03-27-2020 at 06:24 PM..
Old 03-27-2020, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

following this... I am building a new Shelby block motor with the Kirkham remote filter block adapter.
rodneym likes this.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:50 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Mike,
B-E-F-O-R-E installing it, make an impression of the 2 send/return holes (and the bolt holes) and cut them out with precision. Overlay the paper on the adapter and make sure the holes are ENTIRELY INSIDE the o-rings. If not, it will leak past the o-ring and work its way out.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guess you have never owned a 86/87 Buick GN V6 turbo. Mine are 95% leak free BUT most for the average guys leaks bad !! Buick calls it undercoating Pain to work on someones car an ya reach up from under an your arm is all crap. (would add extra $$$$ on their bill)

My CSX motor leaked the same place among others. Luckily now my SIL is fussier than I. He takes care of all my cars now.

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 03-28-2020, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Oft repeated:

Q: How do you know when a sideoiler is out of oil?

A: When it stops leaking.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:09 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

spdbrake,
Hydraulics? Sounds messier than an FE.

ERA_626,
An ounce of prevention...

Blue66,
What's an SIL?

twobjshelbys,
I'm almost afraid of having it licked. Like God will pull me up by the hoodie and say, "Ok, you're work here is done."
Old 03-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What's an SIL?
Opposite of SOL. As in, "when his brakes failed at speed, he was basically SOL."
Old 03-28-2020, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
spdbrake,
Hydraulics? Sounds messier than an FE.

ERA_626,
An ounce of prevention...

Blue66,
What's an SIL?

twobjshelbys,
I'm almost afraid of having it licked. Like God will pull me up by the hoodie and say, "Ok, you're work here is done."

Mainly hydraulic leaks, Most Jets use Skydrol (non-flammable hyd fluid) but it eats paint worse than DOT 3, Burns your eyes just as bad as teargas, and heaven forbid you using the restroom and not washing your hands thoroughly 1st.
The CH-47C model Chinooks were to the point that IF the fluid stopped running down the cabin walls inflight you best land now. The D model had a bit over 1 mile of hydraulics removed as it was more modular.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SIL = "Son-In-Law"

For this thread it can also mean "Snake Is Leaky".
rodneym likes this.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:14 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Follow up:
There is no leaking at all from the new lines and remote oil block adapter. But after a drive, I could see with the help of a flourescent light and oil dye that a slow seep was happening above the remote adapter. Not enough to cause the leaking from before, but it was there. One bolt on the timing cover was loose. Tightened up, drove 50 miles and voila, nothing. I mean bone dry everywhere - for now.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
But after a drive...
You're not supposed to leave the house. I'm reporting you.
rodneym likes this.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:30 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

I was getting TP.
Took the long way,but still.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

The loud noise and exhaust fumes surrounding the driver of a cobra keeps the corona virus away. Nice to see that you got that leak sealed. There are so many spots for a leak. I had a loose bolt on the timing chain covers provide small leak that took some searching to find once too.
rodneym likes this.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:25 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

The dye and special light saved me some frustration.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

The last mystery leak-

While replacing the leaky clutch reservoir, I set the old one down sideways by my intake manifold. I think some fluid leaked out which I didn't see.. the engine leans back a bit, so I suspect it pooled under the victor jr...

When I went for a drive, it did a really good impression of an oil pan gasket leak.. a bad one. But my oil has UV dye in it and flouresces, this did not. It traveled forwards on the intake flat, down by the alternator bracket, and some dripped down the front, some traveled down the oil pan gasket and down the front of the transmission...

At least I don't need to replace the pan gasket yet ��

-Dave
Old 05-04-2020, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I know what you mean...

Quote:
Follow up:
There is no leaking at all from the new lines and remote oil block adapter. But after a drive, I could see with the help of a flourescent light and oil dye that a slow seep was happening above the remote adapter. Not enough to cause the leaking from before, but it was there. One bolt on the timing cover was loose. Tightened up, drove 50 miles and voila, nothing. I mean bone dry everywhere - for now.
After pressure washing on my back, wiping down clean enough for the Virgin Mary herself to eat off the thing, (Gunny Ermey reference), it does give one pause thinking about firing her up and making a new mess...it is very very satisfying to have a nice tight leak free toy!