Old 05-13-2020, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Don't give 'em any ideas...….

I can hear it now:

"Well, they say that Carroll Shelby *thought* about using an electric SBC engine when he was building the first Cobra and he may have went and discussed it with Westinghouse. So in my mind, this is totally usable as a powerplant."
Old 05-13-2020, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 289 Street
Not Ranked     

It’s just wrong. On all levels.
Jaydee likes this.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Opening the hood to find the distributor in the back...kind of like

That first exploration of your new girlfriend reveals that you actually have a new boyfriend...

Not that theres anything WRONG with that, but...
jolsen42 likes this.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Peter Brock has a Chevy engine in his Daytona Coupe.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

If it is your car you can do what you want, but don't expect praise for things other's do not appreciate.

I have owned plenty of small bock Chevy cars in my puppy days. I have personally built a few SBC and BBC. I will be the first to say that the SBC was a great engine design. Easy to work on, all type of parts everywhere, proven to be a reliable engine. It makes good power.

That all said I do not understand the desire to stick a SBC in every car. I go to car shows and see it over and over, to the point of wanting to puke every time I see a Model A or early Ford with a SBC crammed into it. The same car with a 289 or 5.0/347 build is so much smarter. The SBF is smaller, lighter, and makes any power level you want. For about the same money, you can have something better that belongs there. While I'm pissing the Chevy guys off, the reason you have to use a Model A Ford, is because the millions of Chevy cars made in those years were poorly built and few survived.

It's like these people have no imagination and cannot think past the "it's easy and everyone uses a SBC." Yes everyone sticks SBC everywhere. That is the problem. They are like some horny juvenile ignoramus, sticking his pecker everywhere, including goats and sheep. There are just some things that shouldn't be done even if you can get away with it, and sticking a SBC in a Cobra is one of them.

If you want to put something in a Cobra that does not belong in it, then keep it Ford if possible. If not then be creative. I have seen a Mopar 426 Hemi, a Viper V10, a turbo V6 Buick, and I give them a hat's off for being creative.

Now I'm sure I have ruffled a feather or two. I forget the name, but a fellow on this site has a 9.0 sec 1/4 mile Cobra that he has drag raced for years. It's mostly a Chevy drive train, if not all. I have talked to him a few times. I give him a pass because one, it's a really fast car, and two he built it for a reason. Also the folks in other Countries who don't have access to Ford engines or a lot of Government red tape, sure a total pass.

However, if you are just mindlessly sticking a SBC in it because that's all you know how to do, then educate your stupid self and try to think outside your tiny box!

I feel better. Some of that was tong-in-cheek, but most of it is just facts.
Dwight, Ron61, jolsen42 and 5 others like this.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I've said this a million times: you either set your mind to build a replica or you set your mind to build a kit car. A Cobra with a Chevy engine is along the same lines of those Fiero kit cars that are made to look like a Ferrari.

My first post up above was not tongue in cheek. It's to head off all the guys who try to offer up excuses for putting a Chevy in a Cobra. I don't even care if Shelby actually stepped foot in the GM headquarters finance office and was signing his name to a check. There were no Chevys in original Cobras and if we use that line of thinking, then anything goes.

If you read that article, you'll also see that the guy building that electric heap is in the business of making things look like stuff they're not: i.e. making a SBC look like a flat head Ford. Really?
Gaz64 and peterpjb like this.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I've said this a million times: you either set your mind to build a replica or you set your mind to build a kit car. A Cobra with a Chevy engine is along the same lines of those Fiero kit cars that are made to look like a Ferrari.

My first post up above was not tongue in cheek. It's to head off all the guys who try to offer up excuses for putting a Chevy in a Cobra. I don't even care if Shelby actually stepped foot in the GM headquarters finance office and was signing his name to a check. There were no Chevys in original Cobras and if we use that line of thinking, then anything goes.

If you read that article, you'll also see that the guy building that electric heap is in the business of making things look like stuff they're not: i.e. making a SBC look like a flat head Ford. Really?
Not Ford, in fact not even Chevy.
Electric inside a quasi-looking Chevrolet motor.

Clothes will not smell like racing gas fumes and oil.
No loud pipes to shake the neighbor lady's china cabinet.
It's a soulless alternative.

It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Last edited by Unique427; 05-13-2020 at 03:50 PM..
Old 05-13-2020, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

To add an additional piece of info to blykins narrative, Cobras with non-Ford engines resell for significantly less than the same car with a Ford power train.

If the care and feeding of a big block 427 intimidates you lots of cars use the Windsor based Ford engine. At least it's Ford. And like the Chevy parts are readily available.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm ....a flathead Ford in a Cobra....

Actually I have no problem with any of it as long as it’s done well and with a passion. I’ve seen a Cobra with a Butler Pontiac motor, LS1s, etc etc. , I strongly considered a 377 SBC with Brodix heads. In the old days of hot rods it was common to use things like Cadillac motors etc in old Fords, purely because any OHV V8 would smoke a flathead in a drag race. It’s all good.

Last edited by RUFdriver; 05-13-2020 at 04:32 PM..
Old 05-13-2020, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

SBC in a Cobra? Probably the same people who'd put pineapple on a pizza. Sacrilege.
IMLost likes this.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I built a Cobra tribute with an LS6 and C5 suspension. I know, I know, that's just not right. That's why for my last build I built a car inspired by the Cheetah. It has SBC power and C4 Vette suspension. All is right with the world now.

Having fun
Blue66 likes this.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Here in Australia we still have a reasonable supply of SBF’s available, but for some reason that I’ve never been able to understand, more than three-quarters (my guess) of the Cobra “replicas” here are fitted with Chev engines. Most also have Tremec gearboxes in their 427s, but that’s a separate (but similar) argument, in my opinion. I'm a Toploader fan, if you hadn't already guessed.

Makes me think back a couple of years, seeing Prince Harry and new wife Meghan departing the wedding celebrations in a very nice E-Type (XKE) Jaguar, which it turns out had been fitted with an ELECTRIC MOTOR! What sacrilege!

Rant over.

Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 05-13-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Old 05-13-2020, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Here in Australia we still have a reasonable supply of SBF’s available, but for some reason that I’ve never been able to understand, more than three-quarters (my guess) of the Cobra “replicas” here are fitted with Chev engines.
It is my understanding that the 5.0 ltr down under is a shorter stroke 351 Cleveland-ish design. Maybe identical to the US Cleveland block. It's supposed to be cast from superior metal, or at least that is the rumor. It was produced far longer and refined, something that did not happen in the US.

I too often wonder why so many LS engines go into Cobras down their. I assumed it was the government mandates on emissions or economy. Is that not the case?
Old 05-14-2020, 12:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

No, the Windsors available in Australia from the mid ‘60s through to around 2002 (minus a few years in there somewhere) weren't derived from the Clevelands. Cleveland 351s and a small number of 302C engines were also available, but only from 1970 to 1982.

There were two Windsor engines available for the last few years up to the cut-off in November 2002 ….a 5.0 litre and also a 5.6 litre (a 5.0 with a 3.4 inch stroke).

Some of these engines were stripped, blueprinted and rebuilt by Tickford (then a subsidiary of Ford) and fitted to Falcons and Fairlanes, so technically, even though they were made in the US late last century, they were still being fitted 'new" to Fords up until late 2002. The later 5.0 engines were rated at 220kw (close to 300hp) and the 5.6 (342ci) somewhat more.

Initially, 5.0 litre 220kW engines had aluminium alloy heads, but post May 2001, Tickford changed to CI heads (GT40P) with Yella Terra rockers. These have a larger ratio (input to output) of 1.72:1 Compression ratio was raised to 9.4

Why fit a LS engine in a Cobra? I’m the wrong person to answer that one. The Tickford engines satisfy the required emissions requirements, as do the GM engines.

Here’s the “T” label on my engine….
Attached Images

Last edited by xb-60; 05-14-2020 at 12:24 AM..
Old 05-14-2020, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
SBC in a Cobra? Probably the same people who'd put pineapple on a pizza. Sacrilege.
Pineapple on pizza is good, a SBC in a Cobra not so much.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Flame retardant underwear on...

I love how passionate you diehard Ford purists are...
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2020, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

While I would choose Ford if building a car from scratch, the Chevy in my car is strong and parts are immensely available. I might consider putting in a ford though if the Chevy were to fail.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:28 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Ford motors in a Cobra, is the way God & Ol'Shel intended, and yes both of mine have Ford motors, but we're talking about our "Pretend" Cobras. I believe since we're not hurting a (Real One) the owner's can do whatever they like with "Their Cars" This is one reason I like this club, no one really poop-poop's anyone else's idea, of what their Cobra should or should not have. In the end, I believe the title will have the owners name on it, not yours or mine, and they will have final say, on their own cars We need to support each other. My $.02 Cheers TommyRot.
tortuga likes this.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0/Supercharged
Not Ranked     

Though I guess some would want to disguise that the electric motor is in their car, it misses on me. If you have something else , why hide it?

If Chevy would have been of a mind to sell Shelby motors, we would all have Cobras with Chevy motors.

And as to why so many people have used Chevys in their builds for all types of cars, the SBC was a great design. It was easier to develop HP at lower costs than any other motor for years.

The SBF motors were choked with a poor head design for many years. The lower end was strong. But since it is a air pump, a poor efficiency path limited its best performance. Ford realized it with the Trans Am series. They stuck the better flowing Cleveland head on it to get better output. Where SBF motors pulled ahead is when Chevy started mucking around with the SBC and it seemed to stall out with advancement.

I always get frustrated with the idea that any thing that is a "change" for original is "wrong". Don't get me wrong, I have a real hard on for Chevy and no one was happier then me when they declared Bankruptcy. In 77 I bought a Caprice for a company car. It had the highest output motor I could get, F spec suspension and all of the options. It took 3 motors and 2 trans to get to 100k miles! Then I had a fleet of GM cars for my service reps. We could not get 7k miles on an exhaust manifold or 10k miles on front rotors. Cost my budget a lot of lost productivity dealing with breakdowns.

Then I was stupid enough to buy one of the S10 Blazers in 84. At 7 months I had 14,700 miles on it when the trans fried itself. GM would not offer me any relief. They said "you are beyond the 12k mile warranty". They wanted $1,700 for a rebuild and would give me a 3k mile warranty on the trans. I took it to AAMCO and they rebuilt it for $1,300, added a trans cooler and gave me a 1yr/12k mi warranty. I told the Western VP of Chevy (ended up with a call from him trying to get some relief) that I would never buy another GM product. He said that was my choice. I then told him that I controlled the vechile choices of my Service Reps with a crew of 45. Over the next 10 yrs I converted 63 cars from GM products to Ford or Chrysler. Who knows how many of those guys converted their personal choices to other mfg from GM since they saw superior reliability with their company cars of GM choices in the past.

My wife's cousin was a Pontiac dealer and he always gave my wife no small amount of grief when he saw her driving a Toyota. Just before GM went Bankrupt He sold his dealership back to GM to retire. GM gave him some cash, but most of the purchase price came in the form of restricted GM stock. When GM declared Bankruptcy the stock became void. Next time we saw him, he was driving a Toyota and was very bitter towards GM saying they knew they were in trouble and "stole" his dealership.

As a last "swipe" at auto advancement in design choices, when Chevy went with the transaxle with the C5 in 97 I went to the Chicago Auto Show and saw a cut-a-way of it on the floor. It turns out that one of the design engineers was at the show and saw my intense viewing of the model (I was down on all fours looking at it). He came over to ask me what I thought of it. I told him it was a pretty good cheap copy of a 1978 Porsche 928. But with all of the years since then I would have thought GM could have done better. He turned red face and asked me if I had a design background. I pointed to the cut-a-way of a Garrett turbo motor on the floor and said that the wastegate valve design in the turbo was my design while I was in College. I explained that I worked in the R&D lab for Garrett in the 70's while I was in school and I redesigned the system to correct early failures. Hid=s face got even redder and he walked away without even a "good bye".

What I'm trying to say here is that we all get a little sideways with our point of reference and preferences. Remember we are all biased and sometimes a little too closed minded. IMHO if you are not building an exact copy of a Cobra or any other classic car, you are just "Hot Rodding". Its your choice and embrace and enjoy it and every ones interpretation for their attempt to create something that they or you like! Look at my choice, I have a "stretched" Classic Roadster. I have been in original 427 Cobras, FFR, EM and ERA. At 6' 2", 220lbs and one artificial hip. So I get to enjoy the general lines of my car with accommodation.

Enjoy your cars and the creative differences we each incorporate in our builds to make each of us happy, whatever that may be!