LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2020, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     
Default Unique Motorcars

Gents

I have been looking at a few Unique Motorcars Cobras. I know back in the day they were hot.

I just ran across this one for sale:

1965 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C Replica, Roswell, GA. This is a superb Unique Motorcars build from 1998, featuring a Southern Automotive Ford FE engine with Holley 4-barrel, Ford Toploader 4-speed transmission, Jaguar independent rear-end with coil-over shocks and inboard disk brakes. All authentic 1960’s technology, plus MSD ignition. New front hubs and Wilwood brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEOYXbJ7_Uc

What do you experts on Unique think? How much of an issue will it be buying a Unique when they don't exist?

Thoughts on a fair price?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 05-28-2020, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

If you're looking for one, one of my local customers has one for sale. I built a 427S/O for it 5-6 years ago. He's looking to sell, as he just picked up a '57 Ford project. If you'd be interested, shoot me an email and I can put you in touch with him.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Unique is very much in existence. Perhaps the oldest surviving manufacturer of Cobra replicas. Buy one - new or used - and in addition to becoming the owner of a solidly built, well engineered and accurate looking Cobra, you will be adopted by the Weaver family as one of their own. Some of the nicest people you can ever hope to encounter, and they build a damn fine Cobra to boot.
Uniques have a dimensionally and proportionally accurate body that is extremely strong and a rectangular tube chassis with Jaguar independent rear suspension, adjustable coilovers all around and Wilwood brakes. The rectangular tube frame, the vertically upright radiator and the roll bar legs behind the rear bulkhead are the major visual differences from an original Cobra that an expert would spot.
Dwight likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-28-2020, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Looks and sounds like a nice version of the car. Authentic 1960's technology will make it more attractive to the period correct type of buyer. If that is you, you are in luck relatively speaking. Period correct however is frequently not as good as more modern technology — it is after all 55 year old automotive tech. That would be sort of like comparing 1911 performance cars and their technology to your current ride, when you were driving a fuel injected 1965 Corvette Stingray.

The other issue, functionality not withstanding, is ongoing maintenance and follow on parts availability. You would likely be better served with the newer tech pieces.

A good rule of thumb is not to buy one of these cars sight unseen and in particular w/o some sort of test drive. You might be signing up for more than you anticipated.

As difficult as it is to refrain from trying to negotiate a super deal, it is decidedly to your advantage to pay a fair price from a reputable seller for the car. Don't get ripped off and don't try to rip off the seller. Aside from the transaction being more pleasant you are less likely to get blindsided.

Should you discover that the other party to the transaction is disingenuous it is best to just walk away and find another car — there are more out there than you might suspect.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Unique is very much in existence. Perhaps the oldest surviving manufacturer of Cobra replicas. Buy one - new or used - and in addition to becoming the owner of a solidly built, well engineered and accurate looking Cobra, you will be adopted by the Weaver family as one of their own. Some of the nicest people you can ever hope to encounter, and they build a damn fine Cobra to boot.
Uniques have a dimensionally and proportionally accurate body that is extremely strong and a rectangular tube chassis with Jaguar independent rear suspension, adjustable coilovers all around and Wilwood brakes. The rectangular tube frame, the vertically upright radiator and the roll bar legs behind the rear bulkhead are the major visual differences from an original Cobra that an expert would spot.
Buzz - many thanks! I learned something new. Jeff
Old 05-28-2020, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Unique is still in business. I was by there a couple of months ago. Run by the Weaver brothers, Maurice and Alan; they are great folks to deal with. Any part you may need would be available. I've had #9226 for 15 years. Their chassis is bulletproof. The rear suspension design allows the rear to plant and go, harnessing power better than several other brands that I have owned or driven. As always, body style is an individual taste, but I like the molds that Unique Motorcars have developed better than most any other.

Price really depends on the details and execution of the build. That is hard to tell without crawling around the car. Maybe look at the Cobra Country site Unique listings to get some idea about price range? What you are looking at seems to be top notch and probably would be near the top of the range.

Unique is in Gadsen, AL. That's less than 2 hrs from Roswell. Easy trip to visit their facility, if you fly into Atlanta to see a car. They can answer any questions you may have. Friendly over the phone as well.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Looks and sounds like a nice version of the car. Authentic 1960's technology will make it more attractive to the period correct type of buyer. If that is you, you are in luck relatively speaking. Period correct however is frequently not as good as more modern technology — it is after all 55 year old automotive tech. That would be sort of like comparing 1911 performance cars and their technology to your current ride, when you were driving a fuel injected 1965 Corvette Stingray.

The other issue, functionality not withstanding, is ongoing maintenance and follow on parts availability. You would likely be better served with the newer tech pieces.

A good rule of thumb is not to buy one of these cars sight unseen and in particular w/o some sort of test drive. You might be signing up for more than you anticipated.

As difficult as it is to refrain from trying to negotiate a super deal, it is decidedly to your advantage to pay a fair price from a reputable seller for the car. Don't get ripped off and don't try to rip off the seller. Aside from the transaction being more pleasant you are less likely to get blindsided.

Should you discover that the other party to the transaction is disingenuous it is best to just walk away and find another car — there are more out there than you might suspect.

Ed
Great info Ed - thanks!

Jeff
Old 05-28-2020, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgrice View Post
...What do you experts on Unique think? How much of an issue will it be buying a Unique when they don't exist?
As others have said, Unique Motorcars is still in business in Gadsden AL.

But strangely enough, just this week I came across the company's record in Standard & Poor's CapitalIQ database saying they went bankrupt several years ago and liquidated. (??)

I'm not looking to start any rumours. Unique Motorcars is alive and well. But the confusion seems to originate from the failure of the similarly named company, Unique Performance (Farmers Branch TX), which had teamed with Shelby to produce Shelby GT500E "Eleanor" clones from the movie, Gone in 60 Seconds (2000).

Unique Performance. Unique Motorcars. One dead. The other very much alive.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I sold a Unique last fall with a 427 side oiler KC 487 with a Tremec 3550 for $52,000.

We have several Uniques in our area. Great Car and a great Company
Old 05-28-2020, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Great company, great car!

They are the oldest in the business and are building my car as we speak! Call them at 256-546-2395, as they know that car. I believe I have seen it before at the annual Unique Motorcars Homecoming event - something that you won't want to miss! As was said, buy one used or they can build you one to your exact specifications, as well. Great folks! Hurry and become part of the extended Weaver family.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 05-28-2020, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8litercobra View Post
Unique is still in business. I was by there a couple of months ago. Run by the Weaver brothers, Maurice and Alan; they are great folks to deal with. Any part you may need would be available. I've had #9226 for 15 years. Their chassis is bulletproof. The rear suspension design allows the rear to plant and go, harnessing power better than several other brands that I have owned or driven. As always, body style is an individual taste, but I like the molds that Unique Motorcars have developed better than most any other.

Price really depends on the details and execution of the build. That is hard to tell without crawling around the car. Maybe look at the Cobra Country site Unique listings to get some idea about price range? What you are looking at seems to be top notch and probably would be near the top of the range.

Unique is in Gadsen, AL. That's less than 2 hrs from Roswell. Easy trip to visit their facility, if you fly into Atlanta to see a car. They can answer any questions you may have. Friendly over the phone as well.
That’s very cool, I have 9209 and love it, mine has a 427 SO with Toploader 4 speed.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
As others have said, Unique Motorcars is still in business in Gadsden AL.

But strangely enough, just this week I came across the company's record in Standard & Poor's CapitalIQ database saying they went bankrupt several years ago and liquidated. (??)

I'm not looking to start any rumours. Unique Motorcars is alive and well. But the confusion seems to originate from the failure of the similarly named company, Unique Performance (Farmers Branch TX), which had teamed with Shelby to produce Shelby GT500E "Eleanor" clones from the movie, Gone in 60 Seconds (2000).

Unique Performance. Unique Motorcars. One dead. The other very much alive.
Yes, they are still in business. I got a master and slave clutch cylinders for my Unique (built in 2002) just a few months ago from one of the Weavers over the phone so parts and advice are readily available from the owners.
As for the car, mine's pretty much as the above is described and I have no complaints. A good solid replica and it drives great. It ain't for sale
Old 05-29-2020, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Unique builds an awesome Cobra, if I wasn’t building mine here in Texas (UCC), Unique would be my first choice. There are some sweet Cobras being built in the US, no need to go to another continent.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

another thumbs up for Unique.
I have a small block FIA type and am very happy with it.
Good quality build, looks close enough to the original for my taste
Old 05-29-2020, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Doin the small-block-rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
another thumbs up for Unique.
I have a small block FIA type and am very happy with it.
Good quality build, looks close enough to the original for my taste

Small block here, too, but USRRC version. Doing a CSX 2459 tribute to Lew, Jamie, and Bill.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 05-31-2020, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Made in USA.
Engineered for durability and original curb appeal.
Responsive and courteous customer service.
Parts availability regardless who owns it.
Long business history.

The Weaver family has worked hard to provide a solid product
and have personally responded to every email and phone call
I have initiated.

I've been satisfied and I'm pretty picky about customer care.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

I own their sixth FIA built in '91.The Weavers are still going strong. My car was strictly a track car for 25yrs A dedicated Mountain racer. The bottoms of my sidepipes are ground flat. Still no body cracks.
Buzz likes this.