28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2020, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Plans for cobra chassi C4

Hello everybody. First of all, sorry for any bad spelling, Im from Sweden and i dont use english that often. Second: sorry if this is a topic that are discussed in another thread, in that case i have not found it.

Now to my idea: I have a plan to build an ac cobra on a chassi equiped with a corvette c4 front and rear axle/suspension. And fit it with the biggest v8 I can find. Im not new to this. I have built an registred 2 other cars before. One Cathram super 7 with a 2,o liters dohc engine, and one offroad monster with a 273 v8. All road legal in conservative Sweden

And my question: Im looking for detail plans with messurments for the cobra chassi adapted for the corvette c4 driveline. I know that these exist thou there is a manufacturer here in sweden that build then, but they will not sell any plans. And the thing is that i want to build it myself, and not just by any ”of the shelf stuff” . Does anybode have these plans or know anyone who are willing to share or sell them?

Last edited by Hagbard; 06-15-2020 at 01:26 PM..
Old 06-16-2020, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

I considered using Corvette suspension when I built my car. The problem is they are so wide that you cannot use deep dish wheels and keep them under the fenders. So if you are using a stock width 427 body, you will need narrower suspension. I used MGB in the front (which I later changed to modified Musrang 2) and Jaguar S-Type in the rear.

Cobras that I have seen built with Corvette suspensions have used severely offset wheels that look very flat and incorrect. The alternative is to create a wider Cobra like the Stallion. These do not look right (to me) either. You are talking about creating a very powerful and fast car. I have very nearly killed myself a number of times because of suspension mistakes and failures. You really should go with a properly engineered chassis/kit and use recommended components. Believe me when I say that the big V8 you aare planning to use will snap the weakest link at the most inappropriate time!

Last edited by RallySnake; 06-16-2020 at 03:54 PM..
Old 06-16-2020, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is this company that makes something like what you want, but on original Corvette chassis : http://www.cobrasnvettes.com/

Last edited by RallySnake; 06-16-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Old 06-16-2020, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I have seen the aforementioned "cobrettes" and they are really nice. Definitely longer and wider than an original styled 90" car. They ride, stop, and handle very nicely and they have room for big and tall drivers.
I have no idea whatever plans you may be able to get, but this guy has built some beautiful, great quality cars.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the replys. The thing is.... Its not easy to get a home made car road legal in sweden. For an axample the Jaguar rear axle is not aproved. The horsepower of the engine can only 15kW/100 kg, so 900 kg car can onley have a 175 hp engine (BUT there is a way to come around this :-) ). I must prove wich type/car/model/strength on every component I install on the car. Every weld have to be inspected and so on. So its much easyer to take most of the compnent from one type of car. And in this case the plan is to shorten the "distance between the wheels on each axle" (dont know the english word for this) to fit in a cobra body.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That could work, but the hard part is the steering rack. You want the pivot points of the upper and lower a-arms and the steering rack to line up. If not, major bump steer problems. My front suspension was built by Bill Guzman at Classic Conversions Engineering | V6 engine swap kits and performance upgrades for the MGB by Bill Guzman of Classic Conversions Engineering. It works very well.

RS