• 1 Post By Blas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default left side ignition switch keys dangle below dash

My keyed on-off ignition switch Is located left side low on dash. The wad of keys dangle below the dash and get caught between my left knee and the under side of the dash when operating the clutch pedal. Has any one had this problem and what did you do to over come this situation? I'm considering separating the rest of the wad to include the little leather Cobra fob, glove box door lock, gas cap, trunk, steering wheel to brake pedal anti theft locking bar, and house keys together on the Cobra key fob's metal ring and a cable ring with just the ignition key. My plan was to hang the wad from a small metal hook higher on the dash and let the cable ring with just the ignition key hang down just to let the ignition key in the switch. That would clear the bottom of the dash out. I haven't found a small hook devise to secure to the dash. Thoughts please.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Put your ignition key on a quick release valet separator. Like this one from Grainger. https://www.grainger.com/product/25P...g!442132307172!
Old 07-10-2020, 03:00 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

I'm about to glue a little dime sized round magnet to the back of my Cobra leather key fob and the when the key is in the ignition I can flip the leather fob up and the magnet will stick to the ignition light bezel.

That's all I got.

Cheers
Greg
rads42 likes this.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Yep, did it to me too. I fixed it by putting the key on a single ring. No need to make it too complicated.
ront49 likes this.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

You have tooooo many keys. Patrick's idea is your solution. How many problems can you solve under $3.00??

John
Old 07-10-2020, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

When I put in the carbon fiber dash moving the ignition switch higher was on the top of the list.

Fred
Old 07-10-2020, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Put your ignition key on a quick release valet separator. Like this one from Grainger. https://www.grainger.com/product/25P...g!442132307172!

PS, I've had a key ring like that for well over 30 years. I don't know what I'd do without it.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I looked at one of those valet separator key rings to day, as i was getting keys duplicated. i have a locking bar that hooks around the steering wheel and the other end hooks on the brake pedal it has a barrel type key. I had two duplicates made and lost one before I got every key on the key ring and had to drive back for another. My dash is steel covered in padded vinyl. Do you think the magnet on the Cobra fob would stick through it all? What about the magnet sticking to every thing you don't want it to get stuck to? Should we not call it a valet as I know I'd never let a valet ever take my car any where ? Removing the keys is part of the ritual to thwart evil doers.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

A heavy set of keys hanging from the ignition switch is also an invitation for premature failure of the old style key mechanism from my experience.
Blas
BigGuy, twobjshelbys and spdbrake like this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 07-11-2020, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have a few of those - they're very handy. I use one on my gym bag to attach my membership card. A quick grab allows me to release it in order to scan the bar code on the card for entry, then it's quickly re-attached. Great thing for car key(s) as well, as there's no need to have a bunch of keys dangling and swinging every time the car moves.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I have a few of those - they're very handy. I use one on my gym bag to attach my membership card. A quick grab allows me to release it in order to scan the bar code on the card for entry, then it's quickly re-attached. Great thing for car key(s) as well, as there's no need to have a bunch of keys dangling and swinging every time the car moves.
I keep my truck keys on one, car keys on the center and the house keys on the third. That way I can separate them to give them to a service guy without having to give over all the keys or pull the car key off the ring.

The entire set does dangle quite a ways down though. But they never reached below the dash to interfere with leg/pedal operation on any vehicle I can remember.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Any time I can solve a problem for under three bucks, instead of three zillion, I pat myself on the back.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i went out and bought on ebay a "Key Chain Quick Release Magnetic Copper- Rare Earth"
It came with two pairs of key rings 1" and 3/8" I used the small 3/8" key ring to one end of the copper-magnet slug and ignition key. I'll just pull the ignition key and copper slug off the rest of the keys and fob.. it doesn't dangle on my leg any more and the other copper- magnet end to the larger key ring on the Cobra key fob goes in my pocket.. It works slick the magnetic rare earth are encased in copper. totaled out at $17.58
Old 07-18-2020, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
i went out and bought on ebay a "Key Chain Quick Release Magnetic Copper- Rare Earth"
It came with two pairs of key rings 1" and 3/8" I used the small 3/8" key ring to one end of the copper-magnet slug and ignition key. I'll just pull the ignition key and copper slug off the rest of the keys and fob.. it doesn't dangle on my leg any more and the other copper- magnet end to the larger key ring on the Cobra key fob goes in my pocket.. It works slick the magnetic rare earth are encased in copper. totaled out at $17.58
All good - just keep that away from any credit cards, etc with magnetic stripes - at least until everything is converted to chip technology.
BigGuy likes this.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Be advised, those strong magnets will erase the temporary key cards used in hotels and also some of the gift cards you purchase in stores if put in the same pocket as the fob.
Blas
BigGuy likes this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I started out trying to get the wad of keys out of the way from the bottom edge of the dash and gouging my upper left leg. Now my fix may cause other problems. I'll have to remember not to put the wad in any pocket with credit cards. When separated the wad has an exposed magnet and the ignition key has another exposed magnet. i thought i had a winner solution. So I'm still looking for the magic solution.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Regular Credit cards are not a problem. Only those written by people at cash registers and hotel front desks. Normal cred cards cannot be erased under normal circumstances. Though I know that the Secret Service uses devices when setup at hotels and events where the Nations Leaders or their families may be visiting or staying overnight...
Blas

Old 07-18-2020, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     

Try this key chain, no magnet and will not disconnect unless compressed while pulling apart. This has worked for me on my daily driver for many years. See the following link.

https://www.amazon.com/Release-Keych...language=en_US