Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2020, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I won't take sides or comment on either side of the argument,, much. Why have all the high horse engines and the components to handle it if your not going to use it? Status symbol? I'm not saying to go John Force at every stop but not winding it out a bit once in a while is kinda like having a trophy wife kept in the closet. JMHO, your may be different.
Buzz and timsullivan like this.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:43 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Maybe some of you, misunderstand what we mean about a "firey burnout" and what Brian said, "Rolling out in second gear" As he said, our cars pull better in second even 3rd. then most cars do in first. So no we own the right cars, and drive accordingly, without acting or looking like a fool on the street. TommyRot.
Ron61, BigGuy, xb-60 and 1 others like this.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Maybe some of you, misunderstand what we mean about a "firey burnout" and what Brian said, "Rolling out in second gear" As he said, our cars pull better in second even 3rd. then most cars do in first. So no we own the right cars, and drive accordingly, without acting or looking like a fool on the street. TommyRot.
Well then why did you not post that in the beginning then I would have understood you better.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:39 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Like I said a (Misunderstanding). Nothing more, nothing less. Again a firey burnout (On the street) is just downright dangerous, short wheelbase + lots of HP= Police, accidents, stupid people, and crowds, all things that give our Cobras a BAD name, and God forbid if something goes wrong . Not counting what it does to the Drivetrain, If you feel you have to impress people go kick-ass in a Auto-X, that takes skill with yourself, and the prep you can do with your Cobra. But then I've never owned a car to impress other people, I've owned cars to make me feel good. Cheers TommyRot.
Buzz, Ron61, xb-60 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Alfa02; 08-16-2020 at 09:46 AM..
Old 08-16-2020, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
I was sitting at a traffic light in downtown Indianapolis when patrol car pulled beside me and rolled down his window. He asked me to run him.

No doubt my Cobra would have embarrassed the Crown Vic, but I just smiled and said no thanks.

John

That is hilarious!! You may have placed your 4 points over your shoulders, buckled up, gave'em a wink and said "I was planning on it!"

M. Krause
Old 08-16-2020, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhcsgw1pox...20FFR.jpg?dl=0

Maybe not too old, but wiser ; ) The only thing you had to prove was that you achieved a life goal you once promised yourself! Now take your time and enjoy it!! You rarely get second chances in these cars. Be SMART, be SAFE ! ! !
Joey.S, Alfa02 and RB60 like this.

M. Krause
Old 08-16-2020, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I am 68. I used to do stand still, dropping the clutch burnouts in my 66 427 Vette. I don't even want to think about doing those in my Cobra. This car freely smokes the tires when I punch it in 3rd gear. I am just being semi-responsible. I enjoy the sheer acceleration this car has and how fast it goes from 30 to over 100mph.

Fred

Last edited by FredG; 08-16-2020 at 08:00 PM..
Old 08-17-2020, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B-McGill
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
I am 68. I used to do stand still, dropping the clutch burnouts in my 66 427 Vette. I don't even want to think about doing those in my Cobra. This car freely smokes the tires when I punch it in 3rd gear. I am just being semi-responsible. I enjoy the sheer acceleration this car has and how fast it goes from 30 to over 100mph.

Fred
There was a guy in my home town that had one of those Vettes with a worked engine. Even with an automatic the thing was a beast. One time breaking it loose he lost control and hit a tree(s) and ended up a walking vegetable.

Last edited by CobraResurrect; 08-18-2020 at 08:19 AM..
Old 08-17-2020, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Me too - ease through first up to speed, grab second and floor it At the same time. Really wakes up a sleepy passenger too. Less opportunity to end up in one of those video compilations on YouTube of drivers leaving cars and coffee events and flooring it in first in the middle of their turn out and getting all squirrels and out of shape just before hitting on-coming traffic, the far curb, a light pole or a sign. Apparently they bought the right car.
I'm a fan of this. Ease first gear up to 4500 RPM, then nail second and spit the lose gravel all over the goaders.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

I probably will get blasted for saying this but I enjoy spinning the tires a little in second gear especially if there are kids around. I don’t do first gear burnouts only because I got that out of my system when I was between 17 and 60 Years old and with the Cobra it can get dangerous, but hitting second gear hard is still fun.
That’s just what I like to do and probably not what others agree with.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 428CJ with 427 Tunnel Port top side
Neutral     

I learned my lesson in this years ago in my Mach 1 when the crowd of fellow miscreants at the McDonald’s yelled at me to “Light ‘em up!!!”
Which of course I did to great applause.
Then the blue lights came on from the officer who had been sitting back in the dark waiting for some idiot like me to do that. I received an on-the-spot inspection that cost about $850 (about 7 months of savings back then) all told, starting with “hmmm, tread bars showing on both rear tires...
I sold that car to a kid who had no idea what a Detroit Locker does when you try to do a burnout while turning, and he wrecked it 3 hours later into oncoming traffic “lighting ‘em up” coming out of a gas station to impress his friends.
All done with gratuitous burnouts. Just breaks stuff, destroys tires, causes wrecks, and other trouble. I decided that for me at least it is not worth the trouble just so I could look juvenile in front of a bunch of people who won’t be buying me tires, visiting me in the hospital, or defending me in court.
Buzz, Ron61, BigGuy and 2 others like this.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I love to hammer it. The smell of burning rubber is intoxicating. Donuts just make me smile every time. I built the car, I can fix it. And tires are cheap.
timsullivan likes this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 09-27-2020, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

Macho is expensive.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Coyle View Post
Macho is expensive.
Not macho, it's just fun. Having a Cobra is expensive. Might as well enjoy it the way you like to.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 09-27-2020, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Not macho, it's just fun. Having a Cobra is expensive. Might as well enjoy it the way you like to.
I’m with you, know your limitations and enjoy the car. I like doing donuts but I know it’s too dangerous most of the time, now catching a monster second gear is a blast to me.
bobcowan likes this.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:25 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen, we are all "Big Boys" now some of us not quite grown-up yet, me in that group So I will said nothing about what's right or wrong, or being "Stupid" again on the STREET. This video kinda of say's it all, with 3 Cobras being in this video as the (Stars) does not bode well, or show us in a very good light as responsible Cobra owner's (All Cobra incidents were on the street). There is a "Time & place" for our fun, but the Street is not that Place. Ask yourself, do (YOU) want to be on these video's ???? Nuff said. Cheers TommyRot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Last edited by Alfa02; 09-28-2020 at 09:29 AM..
Old 09-28-2020, 09:54 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

And yes Gentlemen, i believe it's the last incident was @ the London Cobra get together, with full approval of the town's people & police, but I Thought !!! Dummy me, you had to have SOME knowledge about your car, or show you could "Handle" your car, that turns out not to be the case there. This gentleman had only owned his Cobra for 3 WEEKS, and knew nothing about HIGH HP & short wheelbase, he had the "money" to buy it, and that's all. Get my drift Boy's ???? Again Cheers TommyRot. Let's be safe out there ! Good God I sound like my Dad
Old 09-28-2020, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Barnwood View Post
I’m with you, know your limitations and enjoy the car. I like doing donuts but I know it’s too dangerous most of the time, now catching a monster second gear is a blast to me.
So true. Empty parking lots are a great place to play.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 09-28-2020, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen, we are all "Big Boys" now some of us not quite grown-up yet, me in that group So I will said nothing about what's right or wrong, or being "Stupid" again on the STREET. This video kinda of say's it all, with 3 Cobras being in this video as the (Stars) does not bode well, or show us in a very good light as responsible Cobra owner's (All Cobra incidents were on the street). There is a "Time & place" for our fun, but the Street is not that Place. Ask yourself, do (YOU) want to be on these video's ???? Nuff said. Cheers TommyRot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title
Testosterone run amok. SMH
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The maroon Cobra at the early part was a gimme. You could tell he was idiot trying to do that on a rain slicked street. A maroon moron. Lucky noone was hurt.

Same to the last one - all those spectators on a residential street.
Alfa02 likes this.