Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2020, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Safety: Cobra vs C2 Vette or other cars

I worry about the safety of driving my FFR on the street sometimes, mostly because I live in a very crowded area with crappy roads and even crappier drivers. I know it comes with the territory, but I still think about either being rear-ended or the car getting away from me and who knows what after that.

So I've thought about high back seats, but hate the way they look. And my roll bar is the lower one-piece version that looks oh so good, but I know will do little to nothing in a rollover.

Then today I saw a pic of two guys driving a C2 Corvette Stingray convertible and realized that that car, like most others of the era, have low back seats and of course no roll bars.

So, is the Cobra any less safe than those cars? Aside from a much lower power to weight ratio and a tiny wheelbase, I'm thinking the risk is the same. I wear my 5 point harness too, something the Vette doesn't have.

But basically, I figure it's like riding a motorcycle. I know the risks.

Love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Alfa02 likes this.

SOLD Replaced by something with a Flat-6

Old 08-16-2020, 04:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Adam, you just have to concentrate on avoiding the other guy, because that other guy is trying to kill you. If you get hit hard in the Cobra, you're going to be hurt. If you hit your head on the roll bar, that's a BFT ticket to the ER. You have to assume people are going to turn in front of you and do other stupid stuff, like stopping in front of you for no reason because they're looking at you in their rear view mirror. I do find that people respond to hand signals, specifically left turn hand signals and "I'm braking" hand signals -- right turns, not so much. You'll get used to it all, but it takes a few years.
eschaider likes this.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I rode a motorcycle for a couple of years when I was much younger. To this day I believe my traffic awareness and survival instincts were sharpened by that experience. Patrickt is right on with advising on concentrating on avoiding the other guy (what you can do) vs focusing on something you can't change.

Driving with your lights on may help, but being a very consciously aware defensive driver is invaluable. Above all I don't let people tailgate. I've been in a couple nasty rear end collisions and I'm not interested in checking the crash-worthiness of the gas tank in the trunk.

I quit riding the motorcycle because of a few close calls, but the Cobra is a lot like a 4 wheel motorcycle - with only a little better protection. Ride, er, drive accordingly and enjoy it as much as you can.
BigGuy, Jaydee and ACHiPo like this.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've owned several mikes in my day, from XS400 to a VMax. I'm still licensed. And I've taken several AMA safety riding classes. I know the #2 cause of accidents is people turning left in front of you (#1 was alcohol back then). Yup, ride, er, drive defensively. And sometimes the best defense, is a good offense! (as in, drive fast to stay out of their path!)

But getting back to my comparison, is there any reason to believe that a C2 Vette, a TR6 or an MG, etc, is any more/less dangerous? hmm, forget the lower powered cars actually, let's just compare the Vette.

Hmm, it's 15" longer and weighs about 3,400 lbs. I guess it's not so much about crash-worthyness as it is about keeping it under control. Mine has old tires that don't stick so well, so that needs to be addressed.

Eh, forget it, I'll just drive it and have fun.

Oh, btw, interesting tip about the hand signals. I'll give that a tryu.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Fiberglass or aluminum? Which should I pick today?
Attached Images

Buzz and ACHiPo like this.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-snake View Post
fiberglass or aluminum? Which should i pick today?
very nice! :3dsmile:

Old 08-16-2020, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

In a side impact the cobra probably has less protection than in most cars, but not a big difference. The bumpers on a 'vette are not much either but it may have more frame supporting the bumpers.

Last edited by t walgamuth; 08-16-2020 at 08:20 PM..
Old 08-16-2020, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

... “What do you want to do... live forever?”

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 08-16-2020, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I had a 66 427/425 C2. Wish I still had it for collectability but it was a toy compared to my Backdraft with a 550hp Roush engine. It would be as out of place today technology wise as an original Cobra would be. It was not a safe car period. It was pretty quick in a straight line but that was it and it was nowhere near as quick as my Backdraft. Handling and braking were atrocious. About the only plus is the doors are higher and its heavier which gives you a little better sense of security. I also had a 1972 Kawasaki H2 which was the fastest bike you could buy back then. Ran 11.8 with it at raceway park. Now that was a really dangerous vehicle.

Fred

Last edited by FredG; 08-16-2020 at 07:48 PM..
Old 08-16-2020, 08:09 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

When it comes to the unique experience of both motorcycles and Cobras, I simply ask, do you prefer to ride your engine on two wheels or four.

Brent
Old 08-16-2020, 11:40 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Defensive Driving has been my #1 rule on the street no matter what I drove. I think most of us, have owned Motorcycle's before we owned Cobras, so we understand that rule. Funny story: one of my girlfriend's once compared my Cobra to 4-Harley motorcycles, I said thank you, she said that wasn't a compliment Cheers TommyRot.
ACHiPo and AdamIsAdam like this.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

Three important rules:
1 If you have no roll bar and full harness don't roll it - rather have lap strap only. You don't want to be held with your upper torso and head acting as a roll bar in an accident - rather lose your teeth on the steering wheel or dashboard.
2 If you have a properly mounted traditional roll bar make sure there is no way your head can hit it in any accident.
3 Accept that the car is intrinsically unsafe for all occupant in an accident, and if you cannot accept that, sell it and buy a modern sports car.

The above is strictly my opinion and uninformed by research or special knowledge.
ERA 626 likes this.

Last edited by Snake2998; 08-17-2020 at 03:08 AM..
Old 08-17-2020, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

At least in a Cobra when you pull up to a light it can't fall over on your leg....so yes, a Cobra is safer than a bike.
ACHiPo and RB60 like this.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I own both and I don't want to be hit in either one. The C2 coupe is slightly more substantial (weight) and a hardtop but I feel more cramped up in it with the steering wheel in my chest. At least the ERA my legs are a bit more stretched and the wheel a couple inches further away. And the ERA does have shoulder straps which the C2 lacks. Help in a front ender a bit but since my ERA is a street roadster in the rare event of a hit and rollover, I may have difficulty ducking. When I drive either I try to stay out of heavy traffic, off city freeways and look at every passing car with suspicion.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B-McGill
Not Ranked     

I broke my leg on a motorcycle which required 7 operations to walk correctly. I gave up riding when I realized I took walking for granted. So in my opinion a Cobra is not as dangerous as a motorcycle.
But I would think the horsepower to weight ration would make a Cobra more dangerous than a C2 Vette.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
In a side impact the cobra probably has less protection than in most cars, but not a big difference. The bumpers on a 'vette are not much either but it may have more frame supporting the bumpers.
West Coast / Kellison cars have side impact protection. I believe Arntz / Butler do as well. Those with ladder frames? Not so much.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 08-17-2020 at 11:16 AM..
Old 08-17-2020, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Factory Five frame has side bracing. I'm not sure how much these are truly side impact protection, especially when you consider how low they are and how most people drive higher SUV's nowadays.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectibles, Forte 427 SB, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Being a former motorcycle rider myself, I carry the same mentality in the Cobra as when I rode.
Mainly, give yourself adequate room around other vehicles and leave yourself an "escape route" if things get hairy.

Also, leave adequate distance between your Cobra and the vehicle in front of you. As we age, our reaction time decreases.

And if safety is an overall concern, just drive around in a big `ol Suburban.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
West Coast / Kellison cars have side impact protection. I believe Arntz / Butler do as well. Those with ladder frames? Not so much.
There is an impressive aluminum box beam in the doors of my VSE. I have a picture in my other computer. I'll try to post it later.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Cobras or Corvettes are extremely powerful and fast some more than others.

Common sense and moderation is is always necessary otherwise it can be very costly.

John
ERA #3010 Slabside 289 SB BRG