• 1 Post By Karl Bebout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2020, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default AN Torquing

pegasusautoracing.com just sent me an E-mail and in it it a very interesting article on torquing AN fittings and how many of us over tighten them. If interested go to the site and in the search box type AN torquing and the link to their article should come up. You might not find it interesting but I did.

Bill K
eschaider and 1795 like this.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkozlow View Post
pegasusautoracing.com just sent me an E-mail and in it it a very interesting article on torquing AN fittings and how many of us over tighten them. If interested go to the site and in the search box type AN torquing and the link to their article should come up. You might not find it interesting but I did.

Bill K
This one? https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/do...ocID=TECH00157
xb-60 and 1795 like this.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

YES this is it.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Good information. I'd always heard "not too tight" but this gives a definitive guide.
BigGuy likes this.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkozlow View Post

Bill K

Thanks Bill.

Very good information and they have an excellent one page downloadable pdf with that and a bunch more. Great find for all of us.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Thanks a lot guys! Very useful. I have overtightened AN fittings in the past and learned to just get them snug.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

Those little cone washer/seals they sell look like a good thing to have around.

I've formed double flares, then corrected to 37 deg with stainless tube and over tightened and damaged fittings before. One of those seals would have been nice to use from the beginning in those instances to protect the fitting as well as adding a seal.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I just tighten them till they stop leaking.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In the article they reference Seal 7, well I ordered some just to have them around and they are very thin caps that go over the male end of an AN fitting and act as an internal crush seal, they are a bit pricey but if you have a leak they appear to be a quick fix and the fact they were developed for NASA to use on rockets seems to backup the fact they work. Some of our aerospace members may have more experience with them than I. I am hoping not to have to use them but they will be my first move to try and stop any leaks if a slight tightening doesn't work.

Bill K
Old 11-12-2020, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Not everything built for rockets works. Don't forget The Challenger.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Seco seals do work but are are usually are a last ditch effort to fix leaks.
Since they're dead soft annealed aluminum they cover for fitting and tube flaring defects. Going forward the Seco needs replaced every time the connection is opened.

Typically tightening the fitting and and loosening then tightening cures most leaks. Using Red or Green Scotchbrite and spin it on the flare with a suicide countersink helps a lot.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Years ago while working I found they were using a lot of SS fittings and were concerned about over tightening and galling.. these soft metal tapered rings that came in different size for different size A&N fittings. I was doing plumbing on my car and looked around and found they were available at Summit through a brand I can't remember. The ring fit over the male side and was crushed to seal putting the force on a small malleable ring. Ideal for the aluminum and SS A&N, JIC and so on. I bought several sets doing my oil cooler fuel pumps and filters ,regulators an tank fittings. I'm having a time just figuring what to call them for a search. They were a soft metal tapered ring that were compressed in the fittings union. They could be reused if you had not gone nut in the first place.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike
Go up to my first message and link on to pegasusautoracing.com and in their search box type Seco-7 seal-8AN This should bring you to the page of their catalog that lists all the sizes or Cycleguy55 reply and link on to that address he references and half way down the page you will see a reference to Seco-7-seals hit that and it will take you to the same page in their catalog I referenced.

Bill K
Old 11-21-2020, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

That's it a "conical seal". You should not have to tighten as much to stop any leak. But still check surfaces for dents or scratches that would let fluids past. Those conical seal are offered by other vendors. I first encountered them on M1 tank engines.