17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-16-2020, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Registering a Cobra Replica in MA

Before sinking serious money into a Cobra turnkey, I’d like to know how people are registering their Cobras in MA? Any pitfalls? Who will insure the car?

I can’t get definitive answers from any replica manufacturers. I’ve found out that I’ll need:

1. Apply for Replacement VIN
2. Inspection from State Police Salvage Unit
3. Obtain Certificate of Origin from replica manufacturer
4. Bill of sale/invoice
5. If kit includes a frame and is listed on C of O, no title is needed.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2020, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Start searching this forum. There are a ton of threads devoted to every phase of the questions you asked.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

In particular, there is a subforum dedicated to the general topic of registration. Try looking through the topic index here:

Registration Forum - Club Cobra

There are several related to MA.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Before I purchased my first turn key Cobra in 1999 I spoke with Vermont Dept. of Motor Vehicles asking what was necessary to register the car. Everything went extremely well. The same for my current Slabside also a turn key.

John
ERA #3010 Slabside SB BRG
Old 10-17-2020, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 Narrow Hip Street Roadster
Not Ranked     

I’ve built two ERAs . The first in the early 80s which was fairly straight forward . The second was done with the new rules in place with more hoops to jump through. The first hurdle is getting a vin assigned. The second is making sure you go to the MAC (motorist assisstance center) with an rmv 1 form to get it properly filled out. The insurance co. And the registry people don’t know how to do it correctly. It can be done and you will get frustrated but in the end you’ll have a legitimately registered car that is exempt from emissions,backup lights.and side marker lights, and totally legal.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS-EDDIE View Post
I’ve built two ERAs . The first in the early 80s which was fairly straight forward . The second was done with the new rules in place with more hoops to jump through. The first hurdle is getting a vin assigned. The second is making sure you go to the MAC (motorist assisstance center) with an rmv 1 form to get it properly filled out. The insurance co. And the registry people don’t know how to do it correctly. It can be done and you will get frustrated but in the end you’ll have a legitimately registered car that is exempt from emissions,backup lights.and side marker lights, and totally legal.
Thank you everybody for the input!

NOS-Eddie, Thanks for the response! I’m thinking about an ERA 289 FIA, 302 stroked to 331ci. with Webers - a tribute to the CSX2345. Should the engine block be prior to 1991 to be emissions exempt? Do I register it as a 1964 Shelby Cobra on the VIN Application? With MAC was nicer?

Many Thanks!
Old 10-17-2020, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you can get to ERA soon there is the most accurate and beautiful 289 with Webber’s that you’ll ever see. Ask Peter for my cell and give me a call. I live in Brimfield. Will help you anyway I can. Also look on Cobracountry. Real nice FIA there now.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
If you can get to ERA soon there is the most accurate and beautiful 289 with Webber’s that you’ll ever see. Ask Peter for my cell and give me a call. I live in Brimfield. Will help you anyway I can. Also look on Cobracountry. Real nice FIA there now.
Thank you kindly! I spoke with Peter Friday. I’m hoping to go down to ERA in a few weeks. I’ll try to reach you after meeting Peter.

5sp or 4sp?... 3.07 or 3.54 rear ratio?... Can’t decide between great 0-60mph times or highway cruising speeds up to 65mph.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think you need to really research what it takes to get the car titled and registered in Massachusetts before taking a leap. It's just not very easy for a "kit car". One of the reasons I drive a V8 swapped Healey was because I was fearful I couldn't get a Daytona Coupe registered and didn't want to have a $60k garage queen that I couldn't take out on the road. The biggest problem seems to be with emissions. A later build is going to need emissions controls. There is a procedure to buy an older car and have it crushed to meet these requirements. You can see a bit about it here: https://www.speedsterowners.com/file...on_process.pdf I haven't kept up with all the latest requirements so can't advise you step by step. My only caution is really do all the research and talk to those who have done the process in exactly the same circumstance you are considering. Cobras are meant to be driven, not just polished in your garage because you can't meet the Commonwealth of Massachusetts rules to get them on the road.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 10-21-2020, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 street car
Not Ranked     

Hi Karman, I live in Peabody, Mass. and have an ERA 427 Street model that I purchased in Illinois 7 years ago. Because the car was already titled and registered in Illinois I was able to simply transfer everything over to Massachusetts with no issues. No M.A.C. INSPECTION, donor car, etc. In fact, I actually have a 1966 year of manufacture license plate on the car...possibly the only replica in Mass. registered this way.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
I think you need to really research what it takes to get the car titled and registered in Massachusetts before taking a leap. It's just not very easy for a "kit car". One of the reasons I drive a V8 swapped Healey was because I was fearful I couldn't get a Daytona Coupe registered and didn't want to have a $60k garage queen that I couldn't take out on the road. The biggest problem seems to be with emissions. A later build is going to need emissions controls. There is a procedure to buy an older car and have it crushed to meet these requirements. You can see a bit about it here: https://www.speedsterowners.com/file...on_process.pdf I haven't kept up with all the latest requirements so can't advise you step by step. My only caution is really do all the research and talk to those who have done the process in exactly the same circumstance you are considering. Cobras are meant to be driven, not just polished in your garage because you can't meet the Commonwealth of Massachusetts rules to get them on the road.
Thank you, Rick, for the great advice! What an inhibitive process. It’s difficult to find people who have gone through the MA process post 2011. Are people salvaging the engine block from these crush cars? No guarantee that the block is not cracked... AND they have to be registered within 5 years, which means they could be a small fortune for a pre-1974 car.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh View Post
Hi Karman, I live in Peabody, Mass. and have an ERA 427 Street model that I purchased in Illinois 7 years ago. Because the car was already titled and registered in Illinois I was able to simply transfer everything over to Massachusetts with no issues. No M.A.C. INSPECTION, donor car, etc. In fact, I actually have a 1966 year of manufacture license plate on the car...possibly the only replica in Mass. registered this way.
I really wanted a ERA 289FIA... Wow, your option might be easier. Did you go through Hargarty or regular car insurance?
Old 10-23-2020, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

jjh you are the only person I know of that didn't go threw the Ma. nightmares. You can register them an Ma loves you paying the sales tax. But them try an get a sticker. Thats were the problem comes up. Interpretations vary on the laws. I have 2 sticker guy friends. they both wouldn't get involved. NH was a walk in the park. Good Luck guys.

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 10-23-2020, 05:21 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karman View Post
Thank you, Rick, for the great advice! What an inhibitive process. It’s difficult to find people who have gone through the MA process post 2011. Are people salvaging the engine block from these crush cars? No guarantee that the block is not cracked... AND they have to be registered within 5 years, which means they could be a small fortune for a pre-1974 car.
No,

They are not buying a car to use the engine, they are purchasing a qualifying car to scrap for credit. We recently had a customer purchase a 72 Caddy with a 502 engine to allow his Roush 427 IR Windsor to be registered. The scraped car must be of equal or greater displacement.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-23-2020, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
No,

They are not buying a car to use the engine, they are purchasing a qualifying car to scrap for credit. We recently had a customer purchase a 72 Caddy with a 502 engine to allow his Roush 427 IR Windsor to be registered. The scraped car must be of equal or greater displacement.
Wow, sounds crazy and wasteful to buy 2 cars to register 1 kit car, and use its emissions exemption, then scrapping the jalopy. Oh boy, this is going to get real complicated as you’re at the mercy of a potentially unknowledgeable MAC inspector, especially when it comes to kit cars. Ha, what will happen if I put race numbers and decals on the car.��
Old 10-25-2020, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Karman I use Hagerty insurance. They did seem hesitant to insure my car when I called. They asked right away for photos and details of the build. About 5 minutes after I e-mailed the information and pictures they called back and said they would gladly insure it for $65k.

That was over 7 years ago. Maybe Hagerty is a little more accepting of replicas now.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh View Post
Karman I use Hagerty insurance. They did seem hesitant to insure my car when I called. They asked right away for photos and details of the build. About 5 minutes after I e-mailed the information and pictures they called back and said they would gladly insure it for $65k.

That was over 7 years ago. Maybe Hagerty is a little more accepting of replicas now.
Thank you, jjh! Sounds like Hagerty is the way to go. However, I think replicas might be a dying industry if they phase out fossil fuel.
It’s going to be a big nightmare - I just wish there were more people I could talk to who have recently registered a carburated engine without sensors, catalytics, etc.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Karman I wouldn't be too concerned about fossil fuels being phased out anytime soon. We only go this way once so if you can make your desire for a Cobra replica happen I would say go for it...life is just too short.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

karman
I am also with Hagerty and happy. Two years ago they informed me they were dropping me because of the year of my car. Once again because of Ma. laws. The only way I could keep coverage was having another vehicle that was 25 years or older which I had and was able to transfer the coverage from another Co to bundle it with the Cobra. It is unbelievable how much harder it is in this state but the pure fun of a cobra will outweigh the negatives
Old 10-26-2020, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
karman
I am also with Hagerty and happy. Two years ago they informed me they were dropping me because of the year of my car. Once again because of Ma. laws. The only way I could keep coverage was having another vehicle that was 25 years or older which I had and was able to transfer the coverage from another Co to bundle it with the Cobra. It is unbelievable how much harder it is in this state but the pure fun of a cobra will outweigh the negatives
That makes no sense, Welcome to Massachusetts! I don’t have a car older than 8 yrs old. Maybe I should call them - What if I opt for the highest deductible, and insure only for the other person, or drive only on weekends?
I’m hoping I won’t need airbags too during the inspection process for a new ERA 289FIA?
I read somewhere that they may quibble about loud exhausts?

Last edited by Karman; 10-26-2020 at 08:29 PM..