Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New Tremec transmission

My builder just sent me information on a new trans Tremec is offering. Its called the TKX

I was going to go with a modified TKO but this seems to be exactly what I need

https://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=183
Gaz64 and hauss like this.

Last edited by jelfert; 11-12-2020 at 04:36 AM..
Old 11-11-2020, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelfert View Post
My builder just sent me information on a new trans Tremec is offering. Its called the TKX

I was doing to go with a modified TKO but this seems to be exactly what I need

https://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=183
I saw that. Looks like they've addressed the issues with some of their other transmissions - it could be a good one. It'll be interesting to see the real world feedback once people start installing these.

From their website:
  • 600 lb.-ft. of torque capacity; capable of engines speeds of 8,000 RPMs with shifts at 7,500 RPMs.
  • Available in multiple gear ratio configurations (See specifications).
  • Designed for multiple applications with three shifter locations.
  • Compact, end-loaded design provides clearance in most transmission tunnels without floor modifications.
  • Increased case strength with three-piece aluminum housing provides outstanding structural stiffness.
  • Gaskets at all flanges simplifies installation and eliminates fluid leaks.
  • Superior shift-ability through use of multi-cone synchronizers and hybrid synchronizer rings made of sintered bronze and carbon
  • All gears and shafts made from special grade steel (ASTM 4615), providing increased torque carrying capacity.
  • Equipped with a high-performance short-throw billet aluminum shifter that isolates road noise, while providing clean, crisp shifts.
  • Robust design with internal three-rail shift system and steel shift forks.
  • Wide gear width increases gear life and torque capacity.
  • Separate GM and Ford case patterns and input configurations. Integrated GM and Ford transmission mount patterns

Last edited by cycleguy55; 11-11-2020 at 07:25 PM..
Old 11-11-2020, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

What is the length compared to a TKO 600?
Old 11-12-2020, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It looks like its a bolt-in compared to a TKO & T-5.

https://americanpowertrain.com/the-a...c-tkx-is-here/
Old 11-12-2020, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I find it quite interesting that the aftermarket resellers are finally calling out the TKO for it's long standing bad shifting manners, bad manners that it has always had. Interestingly, however, this flood of sincerity and concern for us only occurs now that there is available a higher priced, upgraded TKX 5 speed they want us to buy.

The idea of correcting the second to third gear interlock timing on the shift rails (as Liberty has done) or providing double and triple cone synchronization (like a T-56 Magnum) instead of 50 year old small diameter brass synchronizer rings, no one else uses, in this class of transmission, somehow never occurred to Tremec. I wonder why? While we are wondering, it is also curious why they never corrected the third gear misalignment between the mainsheet and countershaft in the TKO 600 — again, I wonder why?

Don't forget the same Tremec guys that told you the TKO did not have shifting problems are now telling you the TKO shifting problems (that didn't previously exist) have now been eliminated in the TKX — or at least they say they have. Tremec used to come up with all manner of obscure, sometimes inane, but always never before heard of, explanations they maintained caused the shifting problems. Not surprisingly none of these obscure explanations ever pointed at Tremec and all of them pointed at us, the end user or someone other than Tremec!

Why don't I trust these guys or a significant number of their resellers who denied the problems even existed for decades?

At $2795 I am not sure I would spend the money on a TKX. For only $400 more, my instincts,would be to go for a T-56 Magnum for its more attractive gear ratios and importantly, silky shifting manners.

Ed
Blue66 and Grubby like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 11-12-2020 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: SPelling & Grammar
Old 11-12-2020, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It would go a long way if they would swap out a TKO 600 for free and let the owner do a video of the TKO before the swap and the TKX after the swap. Let the owner decide if the TKX is significantly better or not. Now that is an infomercial I might believe, if the person was a member here.

After that I might trust them when they say they built a better mouse trap.

Also for all of us who presently own a TKO and want to upgrade to the TKX, I think a trade in program with a decent discount would get me to buy one. However they will not likely drop the price enough to offset me selling my transmission outright and just paying full price.

PS
I do like the TKO, but the shifting would totally suck if you wanted to compete. It works fine for me on the street. I don't need race worthy stuff for my driving style.

Last edited by olddog; 11-12-2020 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: PS
Old 11-13-2020, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

New pricing is $2795 for them. I've known about these transmissions since the beginning of the year, but Tremec wanted to keep them hush hush for a while.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:59 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

A regular old TKO-600 is $2831 on Amazon. Is there any reason to buy the old version now?
https://www.amazon.com/Tremec-TCET50.../dp/B002RPJ3R2
Old 11-13-2020, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
A regular old TKO-600 is $2831 on Amazon. Is there any reason to buy the old version now?
My gut feel..... No, there is no reason and that is why they wanted to keep it hush hush, until their inventory is down to a level needed for warranty replacement, plus a few.

How would you like to find this out after you just purchased a TKO last month?
eschaider and rodneym like this.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I think not.

The pregnant choice question is, a new TKX or, a new T-56 (they're all Magnums now). The T-56 will require a new can and possibly some modifications for the slightly different tail shaft mount location on the trans — so you have the additional cost of the can but that is about it. Of course, don't forget the shifter will be just enough different in location to cause you some additional work.

Aside from the elegance of the shifting experience, the T-56 seems to have just about a perfect match between gear selection and road conditions no matter where you are. It is a very pleasant transmission to use in the car. On the flip side of the coin, the TKX has virtually identical ratios to the TKO with at most a single unit difference in the second decimal place of the gear ratio. What this means is you are spending $2,750 to fix a bad TKO design that produced an even worse shifting experience. It is worthwhile remembering that the Liberty fix very closely approximates the improved shifting experience for about $0.20 on the dollar (or less) for the parts assuming you do the install — which is eminently possible.

I am not sure the TKX purchase makes a lot of sense at all. The quality and strength of the T-56 is a light year ahead of the old TKO or the new TKX design. If you are going to spend $2,750 to correct a $500 problem why not spend an additional $400 (or less) and get a significantly better transmission.

The caveat here is, as some have suggested, the T-56 is too big to fit where the TKO fits. So far that does not seem to be an issue with Cobra replicas but that doesn't mean there might not be one out there somewhere that has a fitment issue. I tend to doubt it, however. That said the old carpenter adage about measure twice and cut once certainly applies.

Ed

Last edited by eschaider; 11-13-2020 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 11-13-2020, 10:59 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
The caveat here is, as some have suggested, the T-56 is too big to fit where the TKO fits. So far that does not seem to be an issue with Cobra replicas but that doesn't mean there might not be one out there somewhere that has a fitment issue.
The T-56 will not fit in an ERA without some serious work on the cross member, tunnel, and I think you have to move the seat as well. That would have to be a labor of love.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can understand the cross member and tunnel Patrick but why the seat?

Ed

Old 11-13-2020, 12:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
I can understand the cross member and tunnel Patrick but why the seat?
Ed
I recall Bob P. telling me that the size of the T-56 is so humongous that you have to modify the cross member, which then resulted in a changed size of the tunnel, which then altered the position of the seat. I do notice that every time I do anything with my ERA that there is just barely enough room for whatever is there to begin with. Even after 15 years of taking her apart and putting her back together I continue to be astounded at how everything is so carefully snugged in to place with everything else.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I have a brand new TKO 600 RR version that I have not installed in my car yet. I wonder if Tremec will do any thing for me? Maybe I will call them on monday.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Tremec should really offer a trade-in program for TKO owners. I imagine there are a few out there who would shell out a REASONABLE amount on top of their TKO for a TKX if it truly solves the TKO problems.
hauss likes this.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Mike -

I would call and ask for a swap. You would be crazy to put in a TKO at this point.

It is interesting TREMEC has been claiming it was operator error all these years and now they say TKX addresses the known issues.

John
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wouldn't it be a bummer to buy a TKX only to find out, after installation, that it did not shift any better than a Liberty modified TKO?!?!!!! (which cost a couple thousand $ less!!) — just saying. This looks very much like a buyer beware event. I am not saying it is but it does look that way.

Of course Tremec would point out that they were not trying to improve on the Liberty modified TKO, they were aiming at their own ill conceived TKO. So as the consumer, it is incumbent upon you to compare and ascertain if the Liberty modified TKO or the Tremec new design TKX is the better choice for you.

Interesting how transactions with Tremec always seem to come back on us ...

Ed

Old 11-14-2020, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I don't get all the dissing of the TKO600. I still think it was one of the best, snappiest shifting transmissions I ever had. As good as the Ford GT.
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I don't get all the dissing of the TKO600. I still think it was one of the best, snappiest shifting transmissions I ever had. As good as the Ford GT.
I agree, I am being told (from a very reliable person who has installed hundreds of them) that 98% of the so called shifting issues is due to the bell housing not being dialed in properly. All these people here recommending to have liberty blueprint a brand new transmission? I would be really pissed off If I have to have a shop rebuild a brand new transmission. I would pull it out and send it back to tremec at that point, why pay liberty to fix a brand new transmission? makes no sense to me at all.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
I agree, I am being told (from a very reliable person who has installed hundreds of them) that 98% of the so called shifting issues is due to the bell housing not being dialed in properly. All these people here recommending to have liberty blueprint a brand new transmission? I would be really pissed off If I have to have a shop rebuild a brand new transmission. I would pull it out and send it back to tremec at that point, why pay liberty to fix a brand new transmission? makes no sense to me at all.
Yep, my TKO-600 shifts as good or better than any transmission I've ever owned, including high-end German stuff. But it took an entire day to get the Lakewood bell housing dead on straight. A lot of mechanics would have put a half hour in to that little task and called it "good enough."
ERA 626 and Pete Munroe like this.