• 1 Post By Sycraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2021, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII Ford Big Block
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for a leather steering wheel

I’m looking for a 6 hole leather steering wheel that would work on my SPF. Not looking to spend the $300+ that most seem to cost. I know that Finish Line offers one for around $150 but I have not read good things about them lately.
Has anybody tried a leather wrap on a wood wheel? I have large hands and the wood wheel is too slippery and thin for my comfort.

Thanks, Ray
Old 03-30-2021, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybones View Post
I’m looking for a 6 hole leather steering wheel that would work on my SPF. Not looking to spend the $300+ that most seem to cost. I know that Finish Line offers one for around $150 but I have not read good things about them lately.
Has anybody tried a leather wrap on a wood wheel? I have large hands and the wood wheel is too slippery and thin for my comfort.

Thanks, Ray
Gloves are much cheaper
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Hi Ray,

I can recommend that you take a look at Wheelskins, a link is below.

Several years ago, I used a couple of their leather steering wheel covers on a few different cars. One was an old Volvo, that had large diameter plastic steering wheel which is thin, compared to a padded modern steering wheel. It did make a difference by making the wheel less slippery and more comfortable overall.

If you want a little thicker of a steering wheel, you can build up the thickness of your steering wheel a bit with some bicycle handle bar tape (cloth), then put the cover over that. It will make some difference, but not necessarily a whole lot. The cover is pretty straight forward to install, but it can be tedious so take your time and should turn out well.

Contact Wheelskins directly, they may have some suggestions for your application.

https://wheelskins.com

Gloves, as mentioned above, are also an option and I have used fingerless string back cycling gloves and they work quite well. They are flexible and have a bit of padding.

If you really want to go all out, you can try both

- Tim
Old 03-31-2021, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I tried a leather wrap a few years ago because vintage racing groups do not allow a wood steering wheel, unless it is a pre-war (WWI) car. I did not like it for grip, I too have large hands, can palm a basketball with either hand.

A couple of years ago I was searching for something different, that was affordable. Factory Five has a leather wrapped steering wheel that is 15" and fit my SPF MKII. It may be something worth look at.

JIm
Old 03-31-2021, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I have a moto-lita leather wheel available.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 03-31-2021, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4071, SHP 408 Carb dry sump, G-Force T-5, 4 into 4 headers, 3-link 8.8 with 3.55 gears in the rear
Not Ranked     

Google "redline leather steering wheel cover". While I haven't used the steering wheel cover, I'm very satisfied with the custom shift boot, e-brake boot, and harness strap covers I purchased from them. You can install the cover yourself using their detailed instructions, or they also have a service where you can send your wheel to them.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Pick up a used one- I got one for a very reasonable price, on here if I remember correctly.

I love the look of the wood wheel (and the weathered center cap looks perfect), but the leather wrapped wheel feels better in the hand.

-Dave
Old 03-31-2021, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ford 302
Not Ranked     

I have my Father's Nardi leather wrapped wheel, waiting for a horn button to make the swap
Old 03-31-2021, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Do yourself a favor and don't ever buy anything from Finish Line. They'll take your money and they won't deliver what you pay for. Shyster.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII Ford Big Block
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Hi Ray,

I can recommend that you take a look at Wheelskins, a link is below.

Contact Wheelskins directly, they may have some suggestions for your application.

https://wheelskins.com

- Tim
Tim, I took your advice. So far so good. In hind sight I wish I would have pulled it tighter in a couple spots.

Ray
Old 04-14-2021, 08:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Ray,

Looks great and should give you a better grip on the steering wheel. Well done.

- Tim
Old 04-15-2021, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ford 302
Not Ranked     

my Nardi
Attached Images

raybones likes this.