LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Are there two businesses involved? I have vague memories about the time of the Finishline ownership change that a well-known Cobra old timer was involved. Is the part that specializes in originals that other person's part? (I don't want to mention names, but I think people will know who I'm talking about)
If you go to the Finishlineaccessories.com site it is divided into 2 parts. Finishline and Cobra performance. Cobra performance service is top notch. I asked Cobra Performance about finishline and was told they (Cobra Performance) has nothing to do with finishline. Now with that said I have no idea why they are on the same site.

Last edited by MAStuart; 04-08-2021 at 03:37 PM..
Old 04-08-2021, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
If you go to the Finishlineaccessories.com site it is divided into 2 parts. Finishline and Cobra performance. Cobra performance service is top notch. I asked Cobra Performance about finishline and was told they (Cobra Performance) has nothing to do with finishline. Now with that said I have no idea why they are on the same site.
Thanks. The lineage of Finsh Line and its "successors and assigns" has been confirmed.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
It is because the current owner refuses to take down the Cobra Performance logo and link which he has nothing to do with. The owner of the Cobra Performance link claims he has repeatedly asked Finishline not to use their logo to link to their site. The cost of attorneys to enforce the wish makes forcing the issue more money than they apparently think it is worth.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:55 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Thank you Buzz, for reminding us what a pleasure it was dealing with Finishline. I couldn't have said it better myself. Sometimes in this crazy world we live in, we forget money isn't the end all to be all. We just hope to give back to a group that has been there for us. And if we can a make buck or two, well that's just icing on the top. It would make us proud to have someone say "those guys @WBCP&S, remind me of Finishline when Enzo & Paula ran the place" Cheers Buzz, Tom.
Buzz likes this.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
For years Finishline was one of the shining stars of the Cobra/replica industry. Enzo Alibrandi and his wife Paula, who kept Finishline going for a bit after Enzo passed away delivered stellar service and if they ever erred, it was often to the benefit of the customer. I placed several orders from way down here in the Caribbean back in the day and like many others, I always got what I ordered - and sometimes more. In one parts order I was sent two cowl mounted mirrors instead of one, and when I notified Enzo, he said "Well now you have a spare!" Fully understanding the questionable value of shipping it all the way back; he still refused to process the extra charge, even when I placed subsequent orders. They were fast, pleasant, communicative and always expressed their appreciation of the support of the Club Cobra community. While it saddens me to see what it's come to today, I still have a positive reaction to the Finishline company name and I have a feeling that due to years of top-notch service to hundreds of customers over the years, the name still carries with it some valuable goodwill.
In trying to build a period-correct "poor man's Cobra" Healey, I had to search for the right parts to carry out the look, which included a "lift for reverse" shift lever that would fit the T5 transmission. I still remember how kind Enzo was in taking time to take measurements for me for what was not a particularly expensive part.

Re: a "new" Finishline. How do you make a million dollars selling Cobra parts?

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 04-10-2021, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
...."those guys @WBCP&S......"
I dunno, Tom. Is "WBCP&S" catchy enough?
Is "We Be Cobra Parts & Sh=t" too much for some to remember accurately? Not me of course; I'm on board with whatever you decide!
Might have to shorten it to something that's more easily/quickly rolling of the tongue, yeah?
Maybe a slogan like "Cobra Sh=t ...we do it better and faster"

Cheers!
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by xb-60; 04-10-2021 at 05:57 AM..
Old 04-10-2021, 08:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Default All good suggestions

Glen, We're open to any & all suggestions. I've talked to a couple members here (PNW) and just (WBCP&S) gets smiles & laughs If we used "Cobra Sh=t...we do it better and faster" I suppose we would have to pay you for the copyrights Let me put this it out there, if this can be done, Brent has the brains & I the will. So far nothings off the table. Brent works anywhere from 60-90 hours a week, and I dump this idea on him, as he said "This is Cobra Business" we always time for that He a trooper. Cheers Buddy TommyRot.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:35 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

I think you all are keepers!

Bill (Trubble) good to hear from ’ya.

Tommy, 1 t-shirt please (particularly before you consider changing the name)! ☺

Brent
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Such names sound humorous to insiders but do not lend credibility to the seriousness of the endeavor. The people here are NOT your primary customers. This represents a small portion of your TAM (Total Available Market). Be serious.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Such names sound humorous to insiders but do not lend credibility to the seriousness of the endeavor. The people here are NOT your primary customers. This represents a small portion of your TAM (Total Available Market). Be serious.
He's right. I haven't ordered a "Cobra part" in many years. Unlike UberEats....
Old 04-10-2021, 10:24 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post

Re: a "new" Finishline. How do you make a million dollars selling Cobra parts?

Start with TWO million!
EM-0785 likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-10-2021, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Glen, We're open to any & all suggestions. I've talked to a couple members here (PNW) and just (WBCP&S) gets smiles & laughs If we used "Cobra Sh=t...we do it better and faster" I suppose we would have to pay you for the copyrights Let me put this it out there, if this can be done, Brent has the brains & I the will. So far nothings off the table. Brent works anywhere from 60-90 hours a week, and I dump this idea on him, as he said "This is Cobra Business" we always time for that He a trooper. Cheers Buddy TommyRot.
Humour aside, good luck with the venture if you both decide to go ahead. Your enthusiasm is always refreshing.
At a personal level, I'm at a stage in my project where I'm looking at some of the smaller, detail items that an outfit like Finishline could supply....so I would be a potential customer. In actual fact, I have purchased items from Finishline in the recent past, and had no issues with delivery times.

Cheers mates!
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tom, I am a Sequim,WA native and just retired too. I planned on a similar venture but more to British car performance, engine swaps, brake kits, suspension, etc. I have MGB and Sunbeam projects. Maybe after this Covid thing is over. Good luck in your venture!
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by jknich; 04-10-2021 at 08:29 PM..
Old 04-10-2021, 09:27 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Thank you Gentlemen, for most of your feedbacks. Maybe some of you took our light-hearted fun with a name as not being serious. If we end up doing this and investing our own (Hard earned) money, you don't get more serious then that. I don't know why I have to explain something I've stated before, but here go's. This will be (Like or same as) Finishline a small business that caters to us Cobra owners, in pieces such as mirrors, windows (Wing and front), steering wheels, badges, etc. Pieces that will will fit most of our cars. My partner Brent (EM-0785) runs with his partner a Muiti-million dollar (HVAC) business (25+years) in 3- states here (WA,OR, & AK.) Running a business like this, would almost be a relaxing retirement. We feel like in a small way, to try and give back to a hobby we both so enjoy, and this maybe the way. @jknich, Myself & Brent will be @ the Sequim car show next Sat. (Apr.17) @the Penney Parking lot, hope to see you there. Thank you Glen, I think you understand what our goals are for a venture like this Cheers as always Tom or TommyRot.
xb-60 likes this.

Last edited by Alfa02; 04-10-2021 at 09:29 PM..
Old 04-11-2021, 12:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Not withstanding my earlier cautionary remarks (which I still advocate) I wish you guys all the best of luck and good fortune in this effort. I think your own version of Finishline is an excellent beginning. Look for all the ways it can go bump in the dark before you embark on the journey and when you think you have all of them, check one more time — the old carpenter's adage of measure twice, cut once.

I think deliberately and thoughtfully organized and implemented, you have a good chance to recreate the halcyon days (albeit under a new name) of the original Finishline when Enzo and Paula helped so many of us.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Tommy, I believe you two can make a go of it, IF:
1. You can develop dependable sources for goods. Suppliers are the bane of existence for modern manufacturing and sales organizations.
2. You can properly organize your distribution and delivery systems. (Complete, correct, and accurate record keeping is the clue.)
3. You are responsive to customers inquiries and requests.
4. You don't mind giving up your cobra driving time.

If you can handle those 5 items, you will probably be successful.
Alfa02 likes this.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 04-11-2021, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
Tommy, I believe you two can make a go of it, IF:
1. You can develop dependable sources for goods. Suppliers are the bane of existence for modern manufacturing and sales organizations.
2. You can properly organize your distribution and delivery systems. (Complete, correct, and accurate record keeping is the clue.)
3. You are responsive to customers inquiries and requests.
4. You don't mind giving up your cobra driving time.

If you can handle those 5 items, you will probably be successful.
I believe you need to add #5: The existing Finishline closes its doors. There's not enough TAM for both to survive if he gets his act together.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Tony is correct, it most likely will be you or Finishline in the end.
Another consideration regarding name, will a certain company have costly legal trademark issues with the word C----? My consider asking for their WRITTEN blessing.
twobjshelbys and Alfa02 like this.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS427 View Post
Tony is correct, it most likely will be you or Finishline in the end.
Another consideration regarding name, will a certain company have costly legal trademark issues with the word C----? My consider asking for their WRITTEN blessing.
I seemed to recall that Ford owned 'Cobra' naming rights but, based upon Factory Five Racing's statement arising from Shelby suing FFR, it would seem Shelby American (?) is likely still the rights holder to the 'Cobra' name:

Re: Carroll Shelby and almost 10 years of litigation
COBRA and 427 are registered trademarks. Factory Five Racing, Inc. is not connected to the holders of these marks.

In February, 2001, Factory Five Racing, Inc., and Shelby mutually agreed to the entry of a Consent Judgment (“Order”) in litigation brought by Shelby in the United States District Court, District of Massachusetts whereby, among other things, Factory Five agreed not to use the word “Cobra” to describe our products. Factory Five agreed to this since it was not using these marks anyway and, for obvious reasons, it wanted to avoid any association whatsoever with Shelby. In return, Shelby agreed to forever dismiss any claims relative to the shape of the Factory Five Roadster and Type 65 Coupe and other designs.

https://www.factoryfive.com/terms-conditions/
Old 04-11-2021, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     

Wish you guys well, we're a little ahead of you.
www.prdcrrct.com
Catering to those building period-correct or replica's. Sourcing is one of the biggest issues, that's why our catalog isn't as broad. But we're working on it.

Give me a call if you want some insight. Always happy to help a fellow supplier. Contact info is on the website.

Paul Proefrock
bwcobra15 likes this.