Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2021, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Csx8000

Do any members have a 8000 series Cobra? I’m am considering buying a used 289 car and was wondering if there is something I should be aware of, or watch out for?
The car I’m looking at has a fiberglass trunk lid and the engine compartment and trunk are aluminum lined. The car appears to have a lot of aluminum but a fiberglass trunk lid seems odd.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Joe
Old 04-17-2021, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Joe, isn't the rest of the body on a CSX8000 car fibreglass as well?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-17-2021, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think they offer them aluminum and fiberglass, what is a quick easy way to tell aluminum as opposed to fiberglass body’s?
Old 04-17-2021, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

If it is a fiberglass bodied 8000 then the, doors, hood and truck lid will be fiberglass. At the same time if it is an aluminum bodied 8000 then the, doors, hood and trunk lid will be aluminum.
That being said there are owners of fiberglass bodied Cobras that have gone through the additional expense of having aluminum, doors, hood and trunk lids made from aluminum for their fiberglass bodied Cobras.
Things to watch out for on the 8000 Series Cobras are mostly suspension related. On the early cars Shelby used a inferior leaf springs on the front and the rear that would start sagging quickly. Another issue is the camber adjustment that Shelby had built into the front and rear uprights, it was a good idea that was poorly executed. Another thing the early cars used was a fuel bladder instead of a traditional fuel tank, this caused a finite service life of 4 years and the tank itself has a very low capacity. Another is the foot box size it is a 427 type foot box, it works well for doing exhaust work but in doing so makes the foot box very tight compared to later built cars that used a correct type 289 foot box.

An easy way to tell an aluminum body from a fiberglass body is look at how the body itself is fastened to the frame tubes, fiberglass cars tend to be flat edged and have very few rivets, an aluminum bodied car will have rolled over edges (the body aluminum rolls around the frame structure) and a substantial number of rivets under the rolled over edge (approx spaced every 4” or so).
ALF and 1985 CCX like this.

Last edited by CompClassics; 04-17-2021 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: Ad more information
Old 04-18-2021, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

What year was the car built? I have a extensive list of info on all the newer CSX 7000 & 8000 cars and the Superformance MKII Street and Slabsides since I make the Owner’s Manuals & Diagrams.
Maybe I can help.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 04-18-2021, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
If it is a fiberglass bodied 8000 then the, doors, hood and truck lid will be fiberglass. At the same time if it is an aluminum bodied 8000 then the, doors, hood and trunk lid will be aluminum.
That being said there are owners of fiberglass bodied Cobras that have gone through the additional expense of having aluminum, doors, hood and trunk lids made from aluminum for their fiberglass bodied Cobras.
Things to watch out for on the 8000 Series Cobras are mostly suspension related. On the early cars Shelby used a inferior leaf springs on the front and the rear that would start sagging quickly. Another issue is the camber adjustment that Shelby had built into the front and rear uprights, it was a good idea that was poorly executed. Another thing the early cars used was a fuel bladder instead of a traditional fuel tank, this caused a finite service life of 4 years and the tank itself has a very low capacity. Another is the foot box size it is a 427 type foot box, it works well for doing exhaust work but in doing so makes the foot box very tight compared to later built cars that used a correct type 289 foot box.

An easy way to tell an aluminum body from a fiberglass body is look at how the body itself is fastened to the frame tubes, fiberglass cars tend to be flat edged and have very few rivets, an aluminum bodied car will have rolled over edges (the body aluminum rolls around the frame structure) and a substantial number of rivets under the rolled over edge (approx spaced every 4” or so).
That’s an impressive answer, and I really appreciate you taken the time to help me. Thank you very much
CompClassics likes this.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     
Default CSX 8967 Anniversary, all aluminum

peterpjb likes this.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Nice 260 car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenmetals View Post

Wow, Mark, nice car, but really, you should wash it before taking and posting photos...

Ok, amazing paint work... so slick the leaves look real!
Riverside racer likes this.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 04-19-2021, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
please, please provide us with more pictures!
Old 04-19-2021, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

You are welcome, Mr Barnwood.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
please, please provide us with more pictures!
Just click on my profile, should be a couple more.
peterpjb likes this.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
What year was the car built? I have a extensive list of info on all the newer CSX 7000 & 8000 cars and the Superformance MKII Street and Slabsides since I make the Owner’s Manuals & Diagrams.
Maybe I can help.
Blas
The number is about CSX 8020, today I found out it’s a fiberglass car, so I’m going to pass.
Thank you
Old 04-20-2021, 07:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

Joe,

You're going to pass on the car because it's fiberglass? Are you looking for an aluminum car, or just not sure. Both are great cars, though the aluminum will be more costly.

- Bill -
Old 04-20-2021, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am going to pass. I am president of the More money then brains club and I’m impulsive and I see something and want to buy it but I have a lot of cars and a lot of motorcycles so I’m going to pass.
One of the mechanics at a garage that I have some financial interest in called me and said there was a Cobra in for work and the owner can’t drive and was thinking about selling it. He has since decided he’s going to give it to his son or Grandson.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just click on my profile, should be a couple more.
Great pictures!
Is that cast steel bellhousing polished??

Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-20-2021, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sure is, as well as the tranny, block and steel slave cylinder mount.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can see your reflection in the transmission, block and slave cylinder mount as well as the bellhousing??
Wow, I'm impressed!

Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-25-2021, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Super nice build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
You can see your reflection in the transmission, block and slave cylinder mount as well as the bellhousing??
Wow, I'm impressed!

Cheers,
Glen
Yes, you can! That build is amazing!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 08-02-2021, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wrong thread!

Last edited by Harpoon PV2; 08-02-2021 at 10:51 AM..
Old 08-02-2021, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wrong Thread!

Last edited by Harpoon PV2; 08-02-2021 at 10:51 AM..