LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2021, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA761 428FE
Not Ranked     
Default Loud Exhaust in West Chester, PA

Hello Cobra Community!

Anyone out there in West Chester, PA concerned about this push to ban loud exhaust cars from the Borough of West Chester? They are now claiming that it's completely up to the local police to decide whats considered "loud" and the fine is $1,000? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve Olenik
Old 05-22-2021, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Note to myself. "Don't drive through West Chester, Pa."
rads42 and hazards280 like this.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Such subjective rules are unenforceable. Does your city have a noise ordinance? Without a number they can't measure to see if there is a violation.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That would be a great option if I didn't live there!
Old 05-23-2021, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Tony, supposedly they do, I believe I've read 85 decibels at 50 feet....my car at idle at two inches from the side pipe is 85-90...again, the fact that they're claiming it's subjective is the real issue. I will certainly fight the fine should I receive one.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Ford
Not Ranked     

Anytime I see any kind of law enforcement I keep my foot out of the loud pedal. When I was a kid they used to pull people over for loud exhaust so, I assume there are laws for this but are not enforced like they used to be. In my opinion " tuner cars" are much more offensive.
olenik1 likes this.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olenik1 View Post
Thanks Tony, supposedly they do, I believe I've read 85 decibels at 50 feet....my car at idle at two inches from the side pipe is 85-90...again, the fact that they're claiming it's subjective is the real issue. I will certainly fight the fine should I receive one.
If you're 85db close then 10' shouldn't be a problem. The best insurance against being hassled is to just drive and don't be obnoxious and rev and make more noise than is necessary.
Pete Munroe and olenik1 like this.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I have a Superformance ordered SP03539
Not Ranked     

Hey Guy's isn't it great to know that in this country today, law enforcement has nothing to worry about except a few loud cars?
Old 05-24-2021, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

There's lots of cars louder than ours. Go to a car show, there's dozens louder than ours. No one bothers them unless they act like idiots. No one will bother you unless you act like an idiot. Most just look in envy.
olenik1 likes this.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley-408
Not Ranked     

Around here the two wheel version of motorized vehicles are a lot louder than any car on our streets. I can't believe how they can keep roaring down the streets and never get a ticket.
Thor maine and olenik1 like this.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I live near West Chester and, in a West Chester neighborhood chat forum, there is a lot of discussion about this loud exhaust ban. Although there are a few mentions of cars, most of the anger is aimed at motorcycles and specifically unnecessary revving and high RPM starts from the many stop signs. Idiots on motorcycles are doing this constantly, even late at night and on residential streets.
olenik1 likes this.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

At least we have mufflers in our pipes unlike the Harley owners
hazards280 likes this.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Worst are those Harleys that have music blasting while running.
How does that even make sense, you have a loud motorcycle and now you want to hear your favorite tunes at the same time, so you have to turn up the volume to even hear it..
How about putting a muffler on your Harley, then you can enjoy your music at a reasonoble level...
We have a couple of them in our neck of the woods
Gaz64 and hazards280 like this.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I agree that a subjective noise ordinance is likely unenforceable. But its likely a lot more trouble than its worth to fight it. That may be what the city is counting on. .... Many years ago I helped a county government develop a noise ordinance to deal with late night loud music near a residential neighborhood. At that time it required certified equipment and certified trained personnel to take the measurements. The threat of enforcement was more beneficial than actual enforcement.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-30-2021, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I agree that a subjective noise ordinance is likely unenforceable. But its likely a lot more trouble than its worth to fight it. That may be what the city is counting on. .... Many years ago I helped a county government develop a noise ordinance to deal with late night loud music near a residential neighborhood. At that time it required certified equipment and certified trained personnel to take the measurements. The threat of enforcement was more beneficial than actual enforcement.
Yep, this is often the case. If there are no DMV points on your license then the fine is essentially a "tax" you pay.

I was on our town board when people came to complain and the administration wanted to know what to do. The Boulder County Sheriff that provided our "town police" under contract had the equipment. The loudest music was always from Planet Bluegrass (bluegrass and folks festivals) and most of the people appreciated the free show. I don't recall ever hearing a complaint about cars or bikes and they Harley tours went through town almost every weekend on the way to Estes Park and gladly stopped by the local watering hole to spend money. Noone was going to send them away.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

What I did on my Contemporary was to use electric cutouts just after the muffler in the sidepipe and routed to turbo mufflers and out the back, So nic and quiet for church on Sunday or when ever but just flip a switch 8 cylinder big block Rock and Roll!!!
Old 05-31-2021, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

It's funny... over the last year or so, "Florida Man" appears to be living the good life, thank goodness in no small part to our Kickazz Governor. As a native Floridian... I've never had to deal with this nonsense. Politicians do what they do because they don't meet resistance. Show up at meetings and ask them basic questions. Get some buddies to join you. Tyrants are very sensitive to negative feedback. Far too many people have become conditioned to just accept what is done to them without actually taking any action to resist it.

Last edited by jmimac351; 05-31-2021 at 07:25 PM..