Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2021, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1996 Excalibur Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default 96 Excalibur - WI emissions test waiver

Hi all, looking for some help from the Excalibur crew or somebody who has gotten an emissions waiver in the state of WI. I have a 1996 Excalibur Cobra that is OBDI, technically OBDII requires emissions test but there is waiver for OBDI vehicles.

the issue is I need to go to state inspection to prove its OBDI, they suggested if I have documents from when it was made that proves its OBDI along with them inspecting the vehicle then they may grant a waiver.

does anybody have an experience getting a waiver like this? It looks like I have a Bennett exhaust system with no crossover pipes.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

Not familiar with that issue. Keep us informed as to what happens.

Thom
Old 06-29-2021, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

somebody on the forum sent me a PM and after connecting with him I found out that I am doing it all wrong. I applied for collector plates and I should have applied for Hobbyist plates. The laws in WI state that if I have a replica vehicle I can get a replica title that is dated as of the year of production that is being replicated. This should grant me the emissions exemption I am looking for. I called the state and argued this point and they said I still needed the waiver. here is the link to the website for WI DMV Hobbyist information.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/v...-vehicles.aspx

I wrote them a letter, gave them pictures, printed the law, highlighted the verbiage, and told them exactly what they needed to do for my title.

I still have an emissions inspection with the state scheduled for the middle of July incase this doesn't work. I even put my cats back on just in case... hopefully I can cancel this meeting.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alright, so after discussing this with the state and moving forward with the hobbyist replica title they told me that in order to change the titling around I need to either get a final emissions test or exemption. Basically they said it is needed to convert the title from a 1996 regular title to a 66 hobbyist replica title.

I had the car inspected by 4 state employees. I explained the situation, they were cool about it and granted the exemption request. So I am good to go.

They told me they would grant it under the "small production numbers" clause however they took a picture of the OBD-1 and CA emissions compliant sticker under the hood. Basically this is a one and done and since the title has never been WI titled I had to do it. Once I get the 1966 replica hobbyist title I wont, nor will any owners in the future have to deal with this.

P.S. The inspectors were total car guys so that helped as well.