Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Kirkham vs Shelby (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145046-kirkham-vs-shelby.html)

sgianino 08-29-2021 02:08 PM

Haa! I remember back then meeting Walt Senior and the son...I think Junior was spraying back then but i could be wrong.I think my car was done around 2005 and has held up well...If i was to do it again i would eliminate the Heating system being i never have used it and maybe would of considered a Borla EFI webber look instead of Carb...

6TNCRZY 08-29-2021 04:57 PM

All things considered, pretty much everything you can see without going under the car looks the same on a ERA and SPF. I would take the much stiffer ERA frame and much better suspension every time, a far superior driving experience. Just my opinion.

patrickt 08-29-2021 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6TNCRZY (Post 1496437)
All things considered, pretty much everything you can see without going under the car looks the same on a ERA and SPF.

Uhhh, windshield wipers parking on the wrong side, radiator slant looks funky, pedals aren't coming up from the floor and more.... But you didn't hear that from me.;)

nkb 08-29-2021 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1496440)
Uhhh, windshield wipers parking on the wrong side, radiator slant looks funky, pedals aren't coming up from the floor and more.... But you didn't hear that from me.;)

Can you clarify your comment on the pedals? Looks to me that both the SPF and ERA slabsides have the clutch and brake hinged from the floor. Not sure about the gas pedal. Just looking at pictures.

1795 08-30-2021 03:46 AM

Both the SPF and ERA 298 cars have the clutch and brake hinged at the floor. I cannot speak for the ERA 289 from first hand knowledge, but the SPF 289's have the Gas pedal hinged at the top like the originals.

People sometimes get mixed up between the SPF cars and think that they are all alike frame and suspension wise like the ERA cars. The 427 cars are similar to the ERA with a box frame and the 289 cars have the 3" tubular frame.

What ever decision you make, will be the right one for you. Both are very good cars. Good luck.

Jim

patrickt 08-30-2021 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkb (Post 1496443)
Can you clarify your comment on the pedals? Looks to me that both the SPF and ERA slabsides have the clutch and brake hinged from the floor. Not sure about the gas pedal. Just looking at pictures.

No, I was speaking generically about 427 cars.

twobjshelbys 08-30-2021 09:58 AM

I still don't understand how a topic that is titled "Kirkham vs Shelby" transformed in to SPF vs ERA

1ntCobra 08-30-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1496464)
I still don't understand how a topic that is titled "Kirkham vs Shelby" transformed I to SPF vs ERA

It seems Kirkham was much much more expensive than originally thought. He wants a 289 slabside. The SPF slabside is extremely similiar (if not identical) to the Shelby version, so why not consider it. Even in the first post he mentioned considering the ERA slabside. So this seems like a perfectly normal progression to me.

NROTOXIN 08-30-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1496448)
No, I was speaking generically about 427 cars.

What's your point? The OP opened up this thread about a small block genre.

patrickt 08-30-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NROTOXIN (Post 1496472)
What's your point? The OP opened up this thread about a small block genre.

Yes, but my reply was to 6TNCRZY's post which was commenting on ERA's and SPF's similarity generally and not distinguishing between big block or small block.:cool:

NROTOXIN 08-30-2021 11:08 AM

Well the OP needed clarification of your off track comments. Did you help his cause or your posting count?

patrickt 08-30-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NROTOXIN (Post 1496484)
Did you help his cause or your posting count?

How could I do one without doing the other?:p

nkb 08-30-2021 11:18 AM

Yes, this topic has evolved from the title. Apologies. But, it was a progression as more information unfolded. Especially the unexpected high cost of the Kirkham (~$250K).

The continuing interest is in a small block Cobra. Primarily a Slabside or perhaps an FIA.

I suppose I can stop writing to this thread because of the now potentially misleading title and create something new as needed.

patrickt 08-30-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkb (Post 1496486)
I suppose I can stop writing to this thread because of the now potentially misleading title and create something new as needed.

That, or just announce that you've decided on an ERA. The latter will provide additional fodder for irritating NROTOXIN.:LOL:

twobjshelbys 08-30-2021 11:30 AM

The down side of shifting the discussion is that it had just as well been posted in Alpha Centauri. (Only old people will get the reference.)

Some searches may discover it, but there is lots of good information on both paths here, but only the Kirkham/Shelby info will bubble to the top in a year or two. So then we can come back and have a brand new topic about the merits of SPF vs ERA. But that's OK, this forum thrives on lather, rinse, repeat.

:)

cycleguy55 08-30-2021 12:45 PM

It's unfortunate that threads can't be re-titled. Perhaps "Small Block Cobra Comparison / Recommendations"

patrickt 08-30-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1496495)
Perhaps "Small Block Cobra Comparison / Recommendations"

... or instead, "Why I'm Right and the Rest of the World is Wrong.":cool:

twobjshelbys 08-30-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1496496)
... or instead, "Why I'm Right and the Rest of the World is Wrong.":cool:

But then that would be the title of every topic. :)

Harpoon PV2 09-01-2021 05:33 AM

While researching the small block ERA cars, and backdating one to 260 specs, I stumbled on a English company Hawk Cars. They make kits of the small block Cobras, plus the 2.6 Ace, which is the car that became the Cobra , plus the Barchetta 166M Ferrari Mustache AC Ace cars. Like the ERA, they all have coil over suspension. I then discovered a sight where an enthusiast is building an Ace, and going over board trying to make it perfect. Below is an article on adding dummy leaf springs, which might also be used on the ERA, so when you pop the bonnet, you will see the correct springs! Oh, and don't forget to wrap your leaf springs with Drevo tape, like the original cars. https://aceac.weebly.com/dummy-leaf-spring.html https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/pr...evo-denso-tape

peterpjb 09-01-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ntCobra (Post 1496471)
It seems Kirkham was much much more expensive than originally thought. He wants a 289 slabside. The SPF slabside is extremely similiar (if not identical) to the Shelby version, so why not consider it. Even in the first post he mentioned considering the ERA slabside. So this seems like a perfectly normal progression to me.

it is not,

Kirkham vs Shelby is about original specs of chassis and body and about the question if the csx tag and the fact that the car turns into a genuine “ Shelby Cobra” is worth some ten thousand bucks

SPF vs ERA is about which lookalike is better

complete other discussion