Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Kirkham vs Shelby (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145046-kirkham-vs-shelby.html)

nkb 01-09-2024 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1522380)
Since you placed your order in December of 2021 I think I fair time for having it on the street is going to be two and half years. Turnkey ERAs are running around that time, maybe a bit longer.

David Kirkham already had an alloy 289 body/chassis in stock when I placed my order so I didn't have to start with waiting for it to be manufactured in Poland and shipped to Utah. I understand there are no 289 chassis/bodies in stock anymore at Kirkham. And the tooling was being sent back to Utah from Poland for refurbishment. So no new alloy 289 body/chassis via Kirkham for a while.

Thus, if you placed an order today, assuming same production process including via SA, might be looking well into 3 years plus.

twobjshelbys 01-09-2024 06:16 PM

I'm still not sure I understand the process of getting a Kirkham and sending it to HiTech vs just having Kirkham do the car... Please explain.

twobjshelbys 01-10-2024 08:55 AM

more replies stuck behind a page change. Maybe this will free them.

Ps. It did

mrmustang 01-10-2024 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1522394)
I'm still not sure I understand the process of getting a Kirkham and sending it to HiTech vs just having Kirkham do the car... Please explain.

With the CSX# assigned to it, it is then a "Real" shelby product vs a Cobra replica by Kirkham :LOL:

It's a matter of drinking the advertised Koolaid and believing it to all be true. :rolleyes:

To some, who view the car as a future investment, it matters, for most enthusiasts, it does not.

Bill S.

nkb 01-10-2024 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1522394)

I will try to explain the alloy CSX production process of today as I best understand it. I will say that this is as I have discovered it over the last two years. It has been different in the past and perhaps may still yet change further in the future.

At the moment if one wants to buy a "new" CSX alloy car there are a couple of options:

1. Shelby Legendary. Basically a part of Superformance. Alloy bodies/chassis are obtained from Kirkham and finished into a CSX roller. The roller assembly is normally performed at Hi Tech in South Africa on the Superformance production line. As such, components are shared with Superformance models, but with some unique differences (differential, ..). Alloy cars are painted in South Africa alongside their SPF brethren. I don't think a polished alloy is an option. The cars are delivered from South Africa to the US where Shelby Legendary(Hillbank) installs the Kirkham differential/half shafts. That is not done in SA.

Shelby Legendary can also engage Kirkham to finish the rollers to a CSX spec as well, remaining in the US. The issue is that this costs Shelby a lot more than finishing the cars in SA. This uptick in costs is necessarily passed on to the customer. There are differences in the final CSX roller between those produced at Hi Tech and Kirkham but not necessarily immediately obvious. With respect to 289's there can be differences in the brake units, dashboards, plumbing, fluid containers, wiring, gauges, dash lights, bumpers, etc. Neither replica (or continuation) is precisely true to an original.

2. Den Beste. Continuation alloy CSX's can also be obtained via DenBeste. These are also provided by Kirkham in the same way as supplied to Shelby Legendary. DenBeste then completes the cars with an engine choice from his Shelby Engine Company. One further difference from Shelby Legendary is the CSX numbers, instead of being the newer CSX 6000/7000/8000, are sometimes original series numbers(CSX 2000/3000).

3. Drew Serb. An alloy CSX car can also be obtained through Drew Serb (Cobra Experience Museum). These are not rollers but complete turnkey cars. They do not originate with Kirkham but are handcrafted at Serb's shop using original panel beating techniques. The final cars are quite accurate in adherence to originality and bear original series VIN numbers (CSX 2000/3000). These are sometimes referred to as "completion" vs "continuation" cars.

In my own decision making:

1. I wanted a car wherein I had some content in producing the car. Thus, a roller made sense. Serb will only provide complete turnkey cars.

2. This led me to the CSX roller based on an alloy Kirkham, either through Shelby Legendary or DenBeste. It then became an issue of price and availability. I ended up with Shelby Legendary.

3. With Shelby Legendary, I tried to make the argument that the CSX roller would more efficiently be produced in Utah by Kirkham. But, in the end, I did not prevail as it apparently cost Shelby Legendary more money to go that route. Thus, my car was consigned to South Africa. I found out later that some customers were offered the Kirkham production avenue in exchange for a significant surcharge.

4. Finally, whether the car was turned into a CSX roller by Kirkham or Hi Tech there are some differences relative to both approaches. Both Kirkham and HiTech produce high quality products. But, in the end, I knew that either way I would be "fixing"/"correcting" the received roller into a more accurate "continuation" CSX with my accumulated original parts.

In any event, there really is no "standard" well established process for the supply of an alloy CSX. The cars are rare to begin with and in very small production numbers so regularizing or streamlining the process is apparently not of interest.

And, as has been shown recently a CSX number has now been affixed to Superformance Mark III 30th anniversary cars. So, a CSX number is now on a Superformance (not Shelby) branded car. Those of us that have opted for a continuation CSX car can now probably understand how original owners of a 60's CSX car feel. When you see the proliferation of new CSX cars (even some with original series CSX 2000/3000 numbers), does this dilute (cheapen) the whole notion of a CSX number? Everyone apparently trying to cozy up to the originals, or worst case impersonate them.

And now, a CSX VIN on a non-Shelby branded car (SPF). What's next ? A CSX number on an FFR or BDR?

nkb 02-21-2024 05:22 PM

My alloy CSX 8000 roller has finally completed its circumnavigation of the earth. 2 1/2 years after my order the car is back in the US at Hillbank for final touches (differential, half shafts, etc) before delivery to me. (Previous warnings noted regarding the "dealer installations" that will be rechecked and probably redone).

The alloy car sticks out among the shiny Cobras and GT40's. I don't think they see many alloy cars and unpainted ones at that.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._1_Medium.jpeg