• 1 Post By Buzz
  • 2 Post By Buzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2021, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default PLEASE HELP! 1967 cobra replica info

I am trying to find information about a car that was owned by my deceased father-in-law. The body was made by Exotic Times Auto located in Longwood, Fl in 1992. Does anyone know anything about this builder? I cannot find anything online about them. A sanitation company now uses the building listed on the receipts. Also, the VIN # starts with DCS428APS. Does anyone have any idea who made the chassis? My wife would really like to sell the car as I cannot drive it, too tall, and she hates it anyway. This car has had me chasing my tail on and off for the last year. I would greatly appreciate any help! Thank you, David
Old 08-21-2021, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

You'll need to post plenty of pictures that gives cobra sleuths something to chew on.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Why do you need more information to sell the car? Was it never titled?

Is this the car? https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...lica/101375803
navyeod likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 08-21-2021 at 05:02 PM..
Old 08-21-2021, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes that is the car and it was titled. All of the information that I have to this point is in the post except for the body being done by Exotic Auto. That I just discovered today. The biggest complaint I have had is that we do not know who made the frame and do not know the whole story. I am slowly getting the full picture but have been unable to find anything about this builder or who built the frame. It supposedly was done in Texas... Since you were kind enough to post the link maybe everyone will be willing to look at the pics I have posted there.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

The roll bar suggests an West Coast (originally Michigan based)/Emerson Cobra (California based) "kit" was the basis of the build. The company who built it in Texas may have been called "Exotic Auto", but was not a manufacturer of the kit used. Sadly, such builders come and go, so you may hit a brick wall there unless one of the principals hangs out here..

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-22-2021, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is there an Emerson stamp/mark that I can look for? If so, where would it be?
Old 08-22-2021, 06:01 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorguy View Post
Is there an Emerson stamp/mark that I can look for? If so, where would it be?
No marks, you need to take pictures of the engine compartment (step ladder needed, straight down shots showing the entire engine compartment needed), firewall, front and rear suspension (lift required), door hinges, and trunk area and post them here.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-22-2021, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

ETA - Exotic Times Auto was an actual replica manufacturer in the early 90's. I don't know much about them, but I do remember the company from my days researching the different brands.

Yes, the full width roll bar might resemble the thicker bar on a West Coast Cobra (which was actually an evolution of the Kellison Stallion NOT Emerson), but the resemblance ends there. The WCC is a bigger, heavier, longer car with huge, distinct fender bulges and is easily distinguishable from more traditional (accurate) Cobra replicas.

Emerson Cobras I believe evolved from the Integrity Coach Werks replicas, which sported a fairly accurate body and stance. That is less so now, as Emerson subsequently sold it's replica with a significantly lengthened wheelbase.

EDIT TO CORRECT - Integrity became the Hunter Cobra replica not Emerson. Temporary brain fart there, lol!

Emerson Cobras were first built in 1996 and feature a lengthened chassis/body with a distinctive notch in the leading edge of the doors, very similar to the Classic Roadster.

Emerson replica

West Coast Cobra - Note the huge fender bulges and generally hulking body shape:

Alfa02 likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 08-22-2021 at 09:32 AM..
Old 08-22-2021, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did a bit of digging...

Exotic Times Auto - ETA - operated in Longwood, Florida and produced Cobra replicas from 1990 - 1999

ETA Cobra:

As you can see, the ETA car has an accurate body shape with the wheels and tires properly tucked into the wheel wells.

Your Cobra:

Judging by the way your front wheels extend way beyond the front fender, you may indeed have some form of a hybrid, with a body from one manufacturer and a chassis from another. Then again, it may be a simple case of the wrong front wheel offset.
The only Texas based replica manufacturer that comes to mind right now is Lonestar but they also feature a lengthened 92(?)" wheelbase. A good place to start would be to measure your wheelbase and post clear pics of the engine bay, chassis and front and rear suspensions and the experts here will quite likely be able to identify exactly what you have.
Respectfully, as of now and without further info; your car may be significantly overpriced at the advertised $60,000.
Tommy and joyridin' like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Last edited by Buzz; 08-22-2021 at 10:57 AM..
Old 08-23-2021, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The price is why I am still digging for information. I hope to get the pics requested in the next day or so. The lift is the issue of course as it is currently not registered. Thank you all for the new info!
Old 08-23-2021, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Several pics but still working on getting ones from underneath.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

The roll bar, dash are not a Lone Star, the frame doesn’t look like a Lone Star. The body doesn’t look right, but could be a bastardized Lone Star. Also a Lone Star VIN would start LSC…. More pics and information will help. Sadly, what you have is probably not a 60k Cobra.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Buzz, what is the normal width for the tires on one of these?
Old 08-23-2021, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Door hardware
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2021, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tire info
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2021, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Engine. This is a Ford crate motor.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2021, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorguy View Post
Buzz, what is the normal width for the tires on one of these?
Most of the older replicas used 215 or 225/60/15's on the front and 275/60's or 295/50's on the rear. You have 215's on the front and looking at the photos in the for sale ad, the wheels have a very shallow dish so it's odd that the tires are protruding that much past the fenders.
Some may well be able to ID the body from the photos you posted and good pics of the chassis and front/rear suspension should help as well.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great, thanks Buzz.