• 1 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2021, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default exhaust guards

I know this has been talked about before. I have had covers on my exhaust for now for about 10 years. They always seem to be very hot after a drive ,I even burned my leg about a month ago. Does anyone else have the same problem, They don't seem to protect like they should.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

The ones from Classic Chambered Exhaust work for me.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Not that this really answers the side pipe guard question but it was a good opportunity to show what a Cobra side pipe can do to your Buddys leg who accidentally touched the pipes for maybe .5 Seconds...
Can we start a thread with Snake Bite photos :-)

[/IMG]

Last edited by sgianino; 09-02-2021 at 05:36 PM..
Old 09-02-2021, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Ford
Not Ranked     

My guards are spaced off the exhaust with footman loops in which I wrapped with fiberglass to act as a insulator. No more burns
Old 09-02-2021, 05:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I keep a small piece of welding blanket folded up behind my seat, mostly for helping my passengers get out. But occasionally I put it down over the driver's side pipes when the pipes are particularly hot, and I'm particularly exhausted, from the drive and wearing shorts. The welding blanket works spectacularly well and I've never really liked the looks of anything over the side pipes.

Old 09-02-2021, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I keep a small piece of welding blanket folded up behind my seat, mostly for helping my passengers get out. But occasionally I put it down over the driver's side pipes when the pipes are particularly hot, and I'm particularly exhausted, from the drive and wearing shorts. The welding blanket works spectacularly well and I've never really liked the looks of anything over the side pipes.

I have the same thing for my Cobra. By far the best purchase I have ever made.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

These are awesome.
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/col...xhaust-sleeves
Attached Images

Last edited by RUFdriver; 09-03-2021 at 07:52 AM..
Old 09-03-2021, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgianino View Post
Not that this really answers the side pipe guard question but it was a good opportunity to show what a Cobra side pipe can do to your Buddys leg who accidentally touched the pipes for maybe .5 Seconds...
Can we start a thread with Snake Bite photos :-)

[/IMG]
There are two things in the auto world that any one individual (if the learning gene is enabled) will only do once in their lifetime.

1. Get hit on the leg by a Cobra (or Corvette or Viper) exhaust. Credit applies to the others for any one.

2. Hit their head on the extended door of the 05-06 Ford GT (or GT40 original or replica).

Usually these happen even after the participant has been warned. Especially during the Ford GT exit sequence. One person managed to do it even as I was warning them while they were getting out the door - watch out for your h--- (bump, followed bya loud sh
Old 09-04-2021, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gallegos View Post
I know this has been talked about before. I have had covers on my exhaust for now for about 10 years. They always seem to be very hot after a drive ,I even burned my leg about a month ago. Does anyone else have the same problem, They don't seem to protect like they should.
I had (2) roll up door curtain style leg protectors made.
* Top side is black leather.
* Bottom side is Kevlar fabric (good for 800F)
* Nomex padding sandwiched between leather and Kevlar
* Attach to carpet with sewn in Velcro.
* Rolls up between seat and door jam.
* Deploy with leather pull loop. (similar to PatrickT's photo)

Even with the engine running and pipes at full temp
you can lay your hand pressed against the black
leather top side onto the pipe without issue.

Last edited by Unique427; 09-04-2021 at 05:50 AM..
Old 09-04-2021, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

I believe an equal amount of Cobra bites occur after the occupant has exited the car, someone gets too close and bam! I got bit when I went to open my hood , even though I knew better, the header pipe got me. That’s where a sleeve like the PTP product is better than a blanket. I have the full sleeve on mine, $400 is cheap compared to a 3rd degree burn.

Last edited by RUFdriver; 09-04-2021 at 09:32 AM..
Old 09-04-2021, 09:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFdriver View Post
I believe an equal amount of Cobra bites occur after the occupant has exited the car, someone gets too close and bam!
That's true. About ten years ago I had just pulled in to a car show, parked my car, and was standing beside it when a little girl, about the age of three, made a bee-line running straight for my still very hot primary pipes. Her moron dad was totally oblivious. I snatched the girl up about two feet away from the pipes and handed her back to her dad. When I told him she was about to run in to my hot pipes he said "oh, sorry... I guess I should watch her better."
sgianino likes this.