• 3 Post By Tommy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2021, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Need Help please!!! Identifying a cobra

Have been doing my research for the last 3 days but can’t find exactly what cobra kit is this. If you guys can help I really appreciate
Gas cap in the middle of the car
Seller says it’s attack body by elegant motors. It’s sitting on a C3 suspension, with a Chevy 427 motor

Is this a good kit ????
Really appreciate your help

Name:  285A0DA6-241A-4DDC-B3B3-93CCA5093954.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  6492B0DB-5113-4EFE-91D8-F80D393A33A9.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  E0FCE44A-5286-4F99-AB5D-BF05C3E69240.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  82F7C792-979F-4F3B-9039-9EEB64B638F6.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  92.1 KB
Old 09-09-2021, 04:46 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

The shifter seems rather unconventional.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

That looks like one of the Corvette based Cobra "replicas". They were generally stretched, widened, vaguely Cobra-like bodies made to fit directly on a C3 (usually) Corvette chassis.
Judging by the way the engine sits forward of the prominent footboxes in the engine bay, and the shape of the body; I'd say this one was definitely made by Elegant Motors.

Elegant Motors inc. started building and selling Auburn Speedster replicas sometime in the early 1970's. One of the owners was '60's NASCAR driver, Dick Passwater. The company went on to become "Indy Exotics" and then "Classic City Motors" I believe, before closing down for good. Their Cobra is arguably one of the better Corvette-based kits, as most of them - like the "Cobrette" for example, had long, flat, awkward looking bodies stretched to fit the 98" wheelbase. Elegant's Cobras were available with a correct 90" tube chassis as well as the stretched version that dropped onto the Corvette frame.

I'm not sure that what we have here is the "Attack" version, however, as I seem to recall that the Attack had radical custom body mods like side skirts, front air dam and a rear wing. Here's a pic from an older thread here on cc.

EDIT - Here's another look from an ebay ad

joyridin' likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 09-09-2021 at 05:31 AM..
Old 09-09-2021, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Buzz,

After a little image enhancement, I think that you're mistaking the shadow for a front dam.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Not much adherence to original detail but probably a nice cruiser if put together well. No denying the power of a 427 Chevy, but visually the engine is sure far forward in the engine bay - but probably the stock location on a Corvette chassis.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
Buzz,

After a little image enhancement, I think that you're mistaking the shadow for a front dam.
Sorry for the late edits, Bob - see the pics of the Attack Cobra in my post above.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 09-09-2021, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What do you guys think? Should I jumó for this one for $30k or save little more for a FF or some other nice replicas?
Old 09-09-2021, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

What are the things about a replica you are most interested in? That car to me falls more in the hot rod or custom genre than tribute to the original Cobras. If you just care about a general outward resemblance to the originals and want a cruiser for cruise night - it might punch the right buttons. If you care about a little more attention to original details, body shape, interior configuration, and Ford motor, maybe not so good of a choice.
Buzz likes this.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
What are the things about a replica you are most interested in? That car to me falls more in the hot rod or custom genre than tribute to the original Cobras. If you just care about a general outward resemblance to the originals and want a cruiser for cruise night - it might punch the right buttons. If you care about a little more attention to original details, body shape, interior configuration, and Ford motor, maybe not so good of a choice.
I agree. It depends a lot on what's important to the purchaser / owner. As you noted, some are more interested in authenticity, while that's less important to those looking for general appearance and cruising. To each their own.

“There's a lid for every pot... You Just have to find yours.”

― Danielle Steel, 44 Charles Street
Old 09-09-2021, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

How is it registered/titled? Still a Corvette?
Old 09-09-2021, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post

To be honest Im really new on this topic about shelby cobras, I own a 1969 bronco, a desert prerunner truck (offroad lover). Everytime I go to big car shows I see the shelby cobras and man I love them. I have been doing my homework, I really like Factory five replicas ( something I may afford) Im in the budget of $30k-38k maybe 40k, dont have to be a showroom car i can be fixing it while i have it.
Buzz likes this.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Sorry for the late edits, Bob - see the pics of the Attack Cobra in my post above.
I saw the pictures, and enhanced the images to draw my conclusions.

Also...
Note the location of the fuel filler, among other things.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

IMHO, all replicas are replicas. There is a pecking order among them that is reflected in selling price. But ultimately, when someone walks up to you at a cruise night, they'll likely ask either, "Is it a Factory Five?" or "Is it real?" Unless it was built in the mid 1960s, the answer will be whatever you are comfortable saying. Some folks think a replica with a 427 style body but with a small block Ford or any Chevy engine is just wrong. I don't. If you are happy with a rough approximation with a Chevy engine that sounds cool and runs well, that's good enough for me. If someone else has a replica with every detail done to look like a true original, that's ok too. ... For a non-mainstream replica like this one I would expect the price to be in the $25k-$35K range depending on the quality of the build and the current condition of the car. Based on the photos I'd expect it to be on the lower end of this range. ... All this is only one person's opinion.
Buzz, Igofastr and joyridin' like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 09-09-2021 at 12:50 PM..
Old 09-09-2021, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
I saw the pictures, and enhanced the images to draw my conclusions.

Also...
Note the location of the fuel filler, among other things.
I told the OP that I do not think the car in question is the Attack version which has all the add ons. I am pretty sure however that it is a regular Elegant Motors replica - which does indeed have the fuel filler in the same location.
Reread the last sentence of my original post.

Old 09-09-2021, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Elegant Motors replica (NOT the Attack version)- note the fuel filler location and the Vette-style sidepipe collectors:

Old 09-10-2021, 04:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

If that car runs & drives nice, and can be had for around 20-25k, it may be your best 'first' Cobra replica. The last thing you want is a project that takes ten years (or never) to finish. If you like it, buy it and drive it. A good ERA replica starts at 50k and goes up...
Good luck.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argenis83 View Post
To be honest Im really new on this topic about shelby cobras, I own a 1969 bronco, a desert prerunner truck (offroad lover). Everytime I go to big car shows I see the shelby cobras and man I love them. I have been doing my homework, I really like Factory five replicas ( something I may afford) Im in the budget of $30k-38k maybe 40k, dont have to be a showroom car i can be fixing it while i have it.
There's some sound advice and insights from the other members above. My take is that you're looking at a bit of an "oddball" replica and unless you really want its unique features - Corvette chassis and drivetrain, longer wheelbase and cockpit, etc. - my advice would be to take your time and look for a brand that is more representative of what a Cobra is all about. If you're patient, in your price range (and particularly if you go up a couple of grand to $40K), you will eventually be able to find a deal you can live with in a more mainstream brand like an FFR MK IV or an older Unique Motorcars or Hurricane, etc.
Brands like Elegant took significant liberties with the design and shape of the Cobra that will make your car stick out like a sore thumb around other Cobras, if that would matter to you. There are also some design flaws that are more than cosmetic and can negatively impact real world use. Look at the front end for example. Typical to the stretched vette-based cars, the attempt to keep a basic Cobra like profile results in an extraordinarily high front that would catch a lot of air at speed and possibly impact stability.

EDIT - moved to your new thread

Last edited by Buzz; 09-10-2021 at 09:29 AM..