• 1 Post By my427cobra
  • 2 Post By my427cobra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2021, 11:19 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     
Default I'll be putting my Cobra up for sale.

Hi all. Well it's a kind of a sad day now that I've decided to put my Cobra up for sale. But many of you have been here so I'm not the Lone Ranger.

I thought I would float the sale here before posting it on the various websites (this forum, Cobra Country, Bring a Trailer, autotrader etc).

Hope this description isn't so long the moderator boots me off, so here goes:

This NAF (North American Fiberglass) Cobra 427 is a highly detailed replica of the 1965 Shelby Cobra 427 street roadster version.
The car, in the original Rangoon Red color, has all the original street roadster features including front and rear hoop bumpers and bumperettes, the street roadster glove box dash configuration, dual front radiator fans, period correct Lucas PL700 headlights and the “piece de resistance”, an original set of street roadster Sunburst aluminum knock-off wheels (designed by Peter Brock) to complete the street roadster look.
Many NOS original parts were used in the construction of this car from all the Smiths and Lucas instruments and switches, interior accessories, Mono Lita wooden three spoke steering wheel, all the electrics, pedals, windwings and visors, Trico windshield washer bottle, Girling hydraulic reservoir cannisters, Autolite regulator, Lucas running lights, a pair of Stewart Warner 240A electric fuel pumps in the boot and an original Autolite Stayful battery in a boot side compartment.
The interior seats and dash are black and the cockpit is fully carpeted in black. The seats are not the original fiberglass buckets with minimal padding, but custom made modern higher backed and bolstered more comfortable bucket seats.
The wood rimmed steering wheel is on a quick disconnect hub which allows for easier entry and exit of the car. The steering column is a 1965 VW bug column (chromed) and VW turn signal stalk replicating the original look.
The car comes with an original black convertible top and bows, an original tonneau cover and a pair of original Cobra sliding window side curtains, all of which are in excellent condition and stowed in the boot. A period correct tool kit and a modern jack are also stowed in a boot side compartment.
The engine compartment has been fully refurbished with polished aluminum panels throughout along with period correct accessories and parts.
The engine is a 420HP 1970 Ford 351 Cleveland with Edelbrock aluminum heads with a 10.0cr, Comp Cams hyd roller cam, SS roller rockers. The induction system consists of a custom made dual 4bbl intake manifold (as the original 1965 Cobra street roadster) and the dual carbs are Holley 390cfm (for better street performance) and are topped with the original Stelling & Helling air cleaners.
The engine is cooled by a 3 row aluminum radiator with period correct dual fans in front of the radiator and a large fan in back of the radiator, both thermostatically controlled and switchable from a 2 position toggle switch on the dash. The oil is filtered by a dual filter system and cooled by a polished aluminum oil cooler mounted in the front of the car below the radiator opening. All oil lines are AN fitted and are the black fabric covered lines which were correct for the period.
The engine is dressed up with chrome 427FE valve covers (with custom made adapters) to fit the 351C heads, period correct Autolite alternator, NOS period correct pullies, aluminum water pump, SS 1965 style coolant header tank and a chrome t-configuration fully baffled 8qt oil pan. The carbs are fed by a period correct fuel filter and carb log system, and operated by a period correct carb linkage system. The custom tight tuck headers are silver ceramic coated and feed into an under car fully SS 2.5” exhaust system with twin SS mufflers in the rear and SS 3” turn down tips.
The transmission is a Ford C6 automatic. Yes that’s right, an automatic. And yes a few Cobras in the period were delivered with an automatic. The transmission is shifted with the original period correct 427 Ford Galaxie shift lever which has been adapted to a Lokar C6 cable shifter. The transmission is cooled by an auxiliary polished aluminum cooler mounted behind the radiator.
The front suspension utilizes a Mustang II tubular upper and lower a-arm front suspension with large aluminum 4 piston disc brake calipers, coil over aluminum shocks and a 1” front sway bar. The steering uses a Mustang II manual rack and pinion system. The front suspension is also cross braced from side to side for additional chassis stiffness.
The rear suspension is a 1976 Ford Lincoln Versailles disc brake solid axle rear end with a 3.54 axle ratio. It utilizes a 3 link heim jointed suspension system with a heim jointed panhard bar and coil over aluminum shocks. The axle housing has a finned aluminum rear cover and a Cobra tie bar connecting the bottom of the shocks. In addition the is a ¾” rear sway bar.
As mentioned above, the “piece de resistance” of this car are the original Sunburst wheels. Yes ORIGINAL. These were take-offs from an original Cobra in 1965 and sat in the corner of an old adobe tire store/service station in Los Angeles until I found them in about 1998. These aluminum Sunburst street roadster wheels where designed by Peter Brock and cast by Kelsey Hayes back in the day. These REAL knock-off wheels are mounted on Trigo pin drive hubs. The tires are BF Goodrich TA radials.
Overall, the car handles exceptionally well. The ride although firm is not jarring due to a careful selection of spring rates for street use. The acceleration is stunning and it goes without saying that the car requires care in handling and good judgement.
The car, now 15 years old since a complete restoration, is not a show queen but has been carefully driven and is in good condition mechanically and cosmetically, but could use a sprucing up. A new paint job (stone chips, a few scratches and some finish imperfections) would make this a show car, and I have priced it to reflect that.
My asking price is $35,000.00. (That will be my starting bid/reserve on Bring a trailer)
Note: Many spare parts will come with the car and many additional parts may be available at extra cost to the buyer. Contact me for details.

So over the next week or so I'll be posting it.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers
Greg
Attached Images

SunDude and Riverside racer like this.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:15 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Greg, so sorry to hear your selling the NAF Reason is unimportant. I hope for the best. In this day & age, your NAF is easily a 55-65K car. BaT, is your best bet, they (Buyers) will like the underside pipes, and no Bars. I spent the last 6months Cobraless, worse 6months in my life If I had known, I would have been a player, Damn. I hope you're not like me, and realized, I couldn't live without one, nothing else was scratching that itch If there's anything I can help with let me know Greg. Cheers Tom.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was wondering why you were selling some other stuff Greg and that you might be selling your car next! Someone's going to get a great car! Good luck with the sale!

Larry
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:42 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Larry and Tom. Thanks for your kind words and support. Building and driving this car has been such a blast. And the Cobra community here is outstanding.

Once the car is sold, I'll still be on the forum as I really enjoy the experience and the knowledge gained.

Also I've got a lot of Cobra parts and memorabilia to offer for sale.

Time to move on to another car. But that thought is still whirring around in my Cuisinart brain.

I'll be here.

Cheers
Greg
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Greg, someone will get a good deal. I owned an NAF for 13 years (one rebody that I got from Jack Kube) and it was a good car. After totaling it for the 2nd time, I let my insurance company keep it and I wound up with an ERA 289FIA with a Tiny 289 engine. How I miss the NAF's "world coming to an end" 496 Chevy power!
Old 10-20-2021, 02:14 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Cobra is SOLD and going to a new home.

Lot's of Cobra related parts and memorabilia to sell now.

Cheers
Greg
undy and Alfa02 like this.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:23 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

To a Member? Or a NEW Member ?
Old 10-20-2021, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Someone got a deal!!!
Old 10-20-2021, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear you sold your car. I’ve enjoyed your threads and information on here for years.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by my427cobra View Post
The Cobra is SOLD and going to a new home.

Lot's of Cobra related parts and memorabilia to sell now.

Cheers
Greg
I hope you'll have them sold as fast as you did sale the car.
looking forward to see some interesting parts posted.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Greg, I don't think my PM reply to you yesterday went through. I get a message that your inbox is full and can't accept any new PM's. You can email me at lhaz (LHAZ) at cox.net if you want.
Larry
Old 10-21-2021, 07:25 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Larry. Sorry about the full mailbox. Cleared a bunch so should be open now.

I'm tied up this early morning but will e-mail you the washer bottle pics later this morning.

Cheers
Greg
Old 12-18-2023, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This car is for sale again. Can anyone on here tell me more about NAF? I had a FF MK3.5 with a 427 which was a blast but I love the smooth lines of the street car version such as this. So this car sounds pretty period correct?
Old 12-19-2023, 05:21 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Greg still haunts the site (I think). If not PM me, and I can contact Greg with your info. Cheers Tom.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

You have done an amazing job on the details, Greg. I wish you all the best with the sale.
Ross
Old 12-19-2023, 07:43 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside racer View Post
You have done an amazing job on the details, Greg. I wish you all the best with the sale.
Ross
Ross,

Greg sold the car two years ago, the current owner is who brought this thread back from the dead.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-19-2023, 08:36 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I think Bill, this gentleman (nautoncall) has seen Greg's car for sale somewhere and would like more info. if I read this correctly. Cheers Tom.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Greg still haunts the site (I think). If not PM me, and I can contact Greg with your info. Cheers Tom.
Sent you a pm
Old 12-19-2023, 10:11 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

@ nautoncall, got your PM, will contact Greg tomorrow. Cheers Tom.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:11 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

@nautoncall, contacted Greg, and Yes that is Gregs car on our for-sale listing, I sent him your Email. Greg did sell his car to Steve, and that's who still owns it. Hope this helps. Cheers Tom.