1989-1997 NA miata
miata: miata is always the answer
https://www.ozgurtan.com/p/miata.html
Old 11-15-2021, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

The idea of period correct is regularly debated by ideologues as to how period correct, period correct has to be, to be period correct. Obviously this a never ending story sort of event.

If your car has the typical 60's engine provenance for your chosen chassis, wheel and tire choices, reasonable fidelity to the original body shape, proper appearing interior with Smith's or comparable gauges in essentially the correct locations you have some level of period correct. The more faithful the recreation the higher the period correct score for your car.

Don't get caught in the silliness of correct part/serial numbers for seat sliders, on off switches and various minutiae like voltage regulators, brake fluid resivoirs etc. Unless you are going to make the car a trailer queen and compete at some type of event where those sorts of credentials are important, it is a waste of time and money. In the real world they add very little, if anything, to either the drivability, desirability, value or salability of your replica.

Let's not forget, when everything is said and done, the car is still a replica. Truth be known, a well done replica is almost certainly a more capable vehicle than an original. Build yourself a replica that is affordable, looks like the original, drives better and performs better than the original. You will have a fun car to own and an easy car to sell if and when you choose to. Build it for you with modern tech but, looking like it came out of the 60's.

Ed
xb-60, navyeod and Harpoon PV2 like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 11-17-2021 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 11-15-2021, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Have had Vettes, Novas, Mustangs, Pro streets, nothing like a Cobra
Old 11-15-2021, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2007 Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb View Post
You might consider the original Lotus Elan. Historic giant killer of Cobras.

I am the original owner of an Elan that I restored after 50 years of ownership. Better Hp/weight ratio than the 289 Cobra. And handling is unparalleled. Lots of parts available. Very good worldwide support group (lotuselan.net). And the cars are not pricey.

Having said that I am going in the direction of embarking on a 289 Cobra myself. The Cobra would be a replica(more or less) of another car from my youth (CSX 2372). Probably won’t be as “fast” as my Lotus, but I’m not in a competition.
Not sure how the hp/weight ratio. Never heard of Cobra losing to Elans, Corvette was the competition back then.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:06 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Neutral     

Oh Indeed mikeinfo. A Lotus 26R (Elan), well driven could kick a Cobras ass, on a short course. A 26R is kinda like a 289FIA car compared to a 289 Street. I had the chance to drive a good friends 26R in a vintage race @ SIR (Seattle) and finished 3rd in the Big Bore Group, out of 38cars, but part of the race we had a wet track SIR (Seattle) PIR ( Portland) and Westwood (Can.) are and were short courses, and well driven 26R can and do run with The Big Dogs. I had a chance to buy one, while racing my Alfa GTV, I could afford the car, I couldn't afford the "Twin-cam rebuilds" 4-5K for the Alfa, 10-12K for a twin-cam. Hope this help's clear this up, Cheers TommyRot.
HealeyRick and xb-60 like this.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2007 Superformance
Not Ranked     

I think that is mostly driver but the 289 Cobra had better hp/weight from what I understand. The 26R was a race form car so it should be compared to the race 289 that made 400hp. Would be fun to watch them race.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

A good Lotus 7 could run with the snakes on the right course in the hands of the right driver.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     

C3 corvette, 1968-82, fairly inexpensive(especially 1974 and up). Huge aftermarket parts supply, independent rear suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, small block, big block.
Comfortable diving position.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Porsche 996 Turbo
Old 11-21-2021, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I think muscle car I think Miata?

Maybe something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcjpXbMiCtg&t=22s

Joking aside, I've always focused on a car that I enjoy and to hell with what others think.
sgianino, navyeod, Alfa02 and 1 others like this.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:18 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

Snake of a different slither. Yup - a Viper.

I'm in the hunt.

Cheers
Greg
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison
Not Ranked     
Default Without a doubt

I'd build a Gardner-Douglas Lola T-70 Spyder .
86Sebring, Alfa02 and Daytona Dek like this.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Back in the early 80s, a friend of mine gave me a Hot Rod magazine with a kit car shoot out. They had an ERA 427 Cobra with a real Side Oiler, a T Bucket, what a waist at Laguna Seca, and the third entry dropped out, so they got ahold of Chuck Beck, and he brought one of his 550 Spyder's. The Cobra did win, but fried a clutch due to the new sticky BF Goodridge tires. They expected nothing from the VW powered 550, and were they wrong. The Cobra was all work on the tight track, where the 550 could go through the corkscrew flat out, as it did on most of the corners. They agreed it was the most smiles per miles of any of the cars that day. I have considered one, the giant SUVs scare me though, though not much worse then my motorcycles!

A friend of mine has the fonts for the decals of the Carrera Panamericana Mexico 550 racer, complete with Fletcher Aviation, and Telefunken Radio decals. Man would that stand out big time!
HealeyRick and Alfa02 like this.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

An LS powered Miata is ton of fun, or how about a Cheetah, a chevy powered, gorgeous looking 2 seater, if it gets too hot you can cut off the roof
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I'll double-down with C3 Corvette. They are cheap and plentiful. The right wrenchman could turn a bargain car into a ferocious street or track performer. As stated above, plenty of parts and power options, right on up to a Greenwood Sports Racer (replica).
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Daytona, Ford 302
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblue69 View Post
What about a Sunbeam Tiger? Something also a bit different but has a cool factor is the Pantera...
Always wanted a Pantera but prices have run away this side of the water. What would you need to spend to get a reasonable one in the States? Also how easy would it be to find one?
Dek
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:52 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Found two (Daytona Dek) in 2mins on CL right here in PNW. First 1 -https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/mountlake-terrace-1974-detomaso-pantera/7400023860.html and the 2nd one. https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...407684127.html Cheers TommyRot.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If that yellow Pantera had a bullet hole in the left side of the steering wheel, it just might have been the deal of the century!
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Daytona, Ford 302
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Found two (Daytona Dek) in 2mins on CL right here in PNW. First 1 -https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/mountlake-terrace-1974-detomaso-pantera/7400023860.html and the 2nd one. https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...407684127.html Cheers TommyRot.
Thanks Alfa. I searched but couldn’t find any currently for sale but found this right hand drive sold at auction.

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/...era/?lot=53910

I think it sold for a very reasonable price compared against European prices. Maybe that it’s prior race history put some people off or it undersold on the day because it wasn’t a well known auction. Apologies for the thread drift.
Dek
Alfa02 and Harpoon PV2 like this.

Last edited by Daytona Dek; 11-24-2021 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 11-24-2021, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #816, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona Dek View Post
Always wanted a Pantera but prices have run away this side of the water. What would you need to spend to get a reasonable one in the States? Also how easy would it be to find one?
Dek
You could probably get an earlier one for about $50k...check around and definitely check with some of the Pantera clubs as with most car clubs there's always someone wheeling and dealing. Leno had a good youtube video on one a while back with some guy who was passionate (I really should say obsessed) about Panteras.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.