21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2021, 12:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

My $0.02

#1 Choice, BMW M-Roadster (Z3)
I have tried this myself and to date the Dinan M54 342hp M was closest.

Porsche 993-S = Nope
1965 Mustang = Nope
Pantera = Watch out as they rust inside out which is scary
Sunbean = Sorta but handling is way off; like a pick-up
MG = no beans
Monster Miata = Maybe
V8 Healey = Close possibly, Rick could let us know.
Panoz AIV = Very close as its alloy, V8 Ford and small. Looked at a couple and this may be the ticket as they even look a little like a stripped bodied Cobra.

Good luck!

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 11-24-2021 at 12:58 PM..
Old 11-24-2021, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The other good thing about Panteras is that parts are readily available.
Harpoon PV2 and Daytona Dek like this.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Early carb Z-cars are a blast to drive.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:06 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Ok if we're going get into (Bone stock) Japanese Sports Cars, and I've had a ton. All were great cars, fun to drive, track day, auto-X, BUT they lacked one thing HORSEPOWER !! Now again these we're talking about were box stock out of the Factory. Not one of my 240-Z's , Rx-7's, ever made it home the first day without at least a Wheel & Tire package. Over the years, in my 240-Z, RX-7 days, I had BRE, Mazdaspeed on speed dial But even built up, they just were lacking that one thing we all have here (Good Ol'American V-8 ) I just sold my last RX-7 (To buy the Cobra in the garage), but it was not lacking anything, as this one had a built Ford 302 (320-330HP), T-5, (My Porsche Killer) If you find a V-8 conversion Z-car, or RX-7, Miata take a long hard look, make sure the build was done right, that's why it took years for me to find the right one. I already miss mine. My $.03 Cheers TommyRot.
HealeyRick and Harpoon PV2 like this.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Daytona, Ford 302
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblue69 View Post
You could probably get an earlier one for about $50k...check around and definitely check with some of the Pantera clubs as with most car clubs there's always someone wheeling and dealing. Leno had a good youtube video on one a while back with some guy who was passionate (I really should say obsessed) about Panteras.
I think that’s a good suggestion. There’s a very thriving Pantera Club over here and generally club members are proud of and look after their cars. Unfortunately our importation tax system here makes it prohibitively expensive to source cars from the USA especially with a poor exchange rate.
Dek
Old 11-25-2021, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
My $0.02

V8 Healey = Close possibly, Rick could let us know.
I'd say a V8-swapped Healey is similar, but it's no Cobra. They are known as "Nasty Boys" in the Healey community and are looked down upon by the purists. But having put a small block Ford in my Healey after driving it with the six-cylinder lump I can say it is a much, much better car. Donald Healey had said he would have put a V8 in his cars if he had access to them and Carroll Shelby originally went to Healey to make his car. The most Cobra-like one would be an early car like this one (which should have a 5 speed transmission)L

https://bringatrailer.com/2010/11/28...ey-weslake-v8/

My car (in my signature) is a later car with roll-up windows and convertible top, a bit more civilized. The drivetrain with a 345 small block Ford, 5 speed and 3.54 rear is probably pretty much like what would be in a Cobra replica.

But given the choice between the Healey and a Cobra, I'd take the Cobra.
Alfa02 likes this.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 11-26-2021, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Ok if we're going get into (Bone stock) Japanese Sports Cars, and I've had a ton. All were great cars, fun to drive, track day, auto-X, BUT they lacked one thing HORSEPOWER !! Now again these we're talking about were box stock out of the Factory. Not one of my 240-Z's , Rx-7's, ever made it home the first day without at least a Wheel & Tire package. Over the years, in my 240-Z, RX-7 days, I had BRE, Mazdaspeed on speed dial But even built up, they just were lacking that one thing we all have here (Good Ol'American V-8 ) I just sold my last RX-7 (To buy the Cobra in the garage), but it was not lacking anything, as this one had a built Ford 302 (320-330HP), T-5, (My Porsche Killer) If you find a V-8 conversion Z-car, or RX-7, Miata take a long hard look, make sure the build was done right, that's why it took years for me to find the right one. I already miss mine. My $.03 Cheers TommyRot.
A Scarab Z car is the best! I got to drive one not long after I drove my first late model, small block Cobra, the Scarab was what the Cobra should have morphed into! I was going to use their kit on my 71 240Z, but life got in the way.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
I'd say a V8-swapped Healey is similar, but it's no Cobra. They are known as "Nasty Boys" in the Healey community and are looked down upon by the purists. But having put a small block Ford in my Healey after driving it with the six-cylinder lump I can say it is a much, much better car. Donald Healey had said he would have put a V8 in his cars if he had access to them and Carroll Shelby originally went to Healey to make his car. The most Cobra-like one would be an early car like this one (which should have a 5 speed transmission)L

https://bringatrailer.com/2010/11/28...ey-weslake-v8/

My car (in my signature) is a later car with roll-up windows and convertible top, a bit more civilized. The drivetrain with a 345 small block Ford, 5 speed and 3.54 rear is probably pretty much like what would be in a Cobra replica.

But given the choice between the Healey and a Cobra, I'd take the Cobra.
Why do they look down at the V8 Healey's, don't they know anything about the history of Healey? Donald Healey was so impressed with Briggs Cunningham's Cadillac V8 powered Silverstone, that he had his guys install a Caddy V8 in a Silverstone, then asked Cadillac if they would sell him some engines, they said no! So Healey went the Allard rout, and sent over cars sans engine and tranny, sound familiar? So, while many V8 Healey's are yank and stuff cars, others are from the factory meant for a V8 from the start!
Old 11-27-2021, 12:44 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@ Harpoon PV2, that was my intro. into the whole V-8 Z-car thing. (Oct./Nov. 75 ?) R&T had a small article on Brian Morrow with Scarab inc. I called, got the $9.95 VHS tape, and written specs. Spoke with him at length about my build (72 240Z) we came up with a DZ-302 Chevy (Alum heads, revier motor) instead of a cast iron 327 and an Alum case T-10, rather a than another cast iron T-10. Everything light weigh, since I tracked, Auto-X and DD. Everything was going Swimley, my little bank in town would loan me $11,500 on my $4000 Z-Car, my loan officer sold Sunbeam Tiger back in the 60's, he got the whole V-8 thing. So, they were to Paint, reupholster in leather, Koni shocks, BRE springs, Adcco bars, (Basically rebuild the car) for the $11,500 (Lot of money in 1976 LOL) Good to go, till I got home, as I explained to her (The WIFE), I would have the ultimate Z-car (Porsche killer) and for 1/2 price of said Porsche. Sorry to say, it never happened (the Motor & Gearbox ended up in Car #188) and I really showed my Wife by buying a new 1978 911SC for $23,500, in late 1977. I would (Possibly) still have that Scarab. Cheers TommyRot.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon PV2 View Post
Why do they look down at the V8 Healey's, don't they know anything about the history of Healey? Donald Healey was so impressed with Briggs Cunningham's Cadillac V8 powered Silverstone, that he had his guys install a Caddy V8 in a Silverstone, then asked Cadillac if they would sell him some engines, they said no! So Healey went the Allard rout, and sent over cars sans engine and tranny, sound familiar? So, while many V8 Healey's are yank and stuff cars, others are from the factory meant for a V8 from the start!
Very true I even did an article about the history of Nasty Boys for the Austin-Healey Magazine that included Donald and Geoffrey's V& usage.
http://bighealey.org/NastyBoy/Issue_8_2016.pdf Donald always had very good things to say about swapped Healeys when he attended our events. But some people aren't happy unless a Healey is restored to absolutely stock and they make no bones about their dislike for the modifieds. One of my friends who had a V8 powered car used to bring a bag of lollipops to shows and when he heard someone complaining about his car, he would offer them one and tell them to "Suck it."
Blue66 and Harpoon PV2 like this.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Healey Sebring
LS-1 version under construction
Roll up windows and all the fiberglass and lots of parts available again
Ya know these make Donald smile, this is how we do it in the USA
Attached Images

HealeyRick and Harpoon PV2 like this.

Last edited by sunman; 11-27-2021 at 10:35 AM..
Old 11-27-2021, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My first car was almost a Healey 3000, that we were going to dump a 302 into. Unfortunately, the guy was firm on $2,100, and I could only come up with $1,800! Oh well, when I end up with a small block Cobra replica, I will be happy!
Old 11-27-2021, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
.....I even did an article about the history of Nasty Boys for the Austin-Healey Magazine that included Donald and Geoffrey's V& usage....
Interesting to hear about the V8 Healeys being refered to as "Nasty Boys".
Most Cobra/replica owners here on CC refer to their cars as "she" or "the mistress". “Nasty girls” … maybe?

Cheers!
Glen
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

Last edited by xb-60; 11-28-2021 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Edit
Old 11-28-2021, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Very true I even did an article about the history of Nasty Boys for the Austin-Healey Magazine that included Donald and Geoffrey's V& usage.
http://bighealey.org/NastyBoy/Issue_8_2016.pdf Donald always had very good things to say about swapped Healeys when he attended our events. But some people aren't happy unless a Healey is restored to absolutely stock and they make no bones about their dislike for the modifieds. One of my friends who had a V8 powered car used to bring a bag of lollipops to shows and when he heard someone complaining about his car, he would offer them one and tell them to "Suck it."
I ran into your article a couple of years ago, when I was thinking of doing a swap but prices on the Healey's had already crept up. Your article is well worth the read!
HealeyRick likes this.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon PV2 View Post
I ran into your article a couple of years ago, when I was thinking of doing a swap but prices on the Healey's had already crept up. Your article is well worth the read!
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggaluut View Post
Or is Cobra really the cream of the crop when it comes to a 2 seater open top/convertible sports car with looks and power? Miata's need not apply.
From the OP's post. He's looking for a 2-seat roadster/convertible

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 11-29-2021, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/cheetah...133046337.html
Old 11-29-2021, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Daytona, Ford 302
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.
Didn’t realise the Austin Healey commanded so much respect your side of the water. Putting a V8 into it really makes a lot of sense to make it more of a drivers car. Over here it would be sacrilege and seriously damage the value of a “classic” car where everything has to be original. I guess that’s the beauty of kit cars, you can do what you want, and get away with it. Horses for courses.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Miata's (sic) need not apply.
Except maybe for this one: https://www.monstermiata.com/
Old 11-30-2021, 06:50 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five - 4.6 Mustang GT
Not Ranked     

These are all good suggestions & we'll be interested in what direction you go. I've owned a over 20+ hot rods, muscle cars, & exotic's. All of them have been different & antique in there our right. But of all over them the Cobra stood apart. Now have my 2nd Cobra. Just great fun to drive for a reasonable price.