Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2021, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default What other cars should I be considering beyond a Cobra?

I'm looking for a project car that is going to be all about being fun to drive. Originally I was thinking something like a souped up MG when I had neglected to remember the Cobra. I quickly changed my tune once I did recall.

I like the look of the Cobra and the established history of it. However, I didn't grow up needing a Cobra in my life. It's just the car that makes the most sense based on my performance and cost considerations. I'm not one of those guys who saw them race back in the day and fell in love. If I build a Cobra it's going to be more a restomod style rather than trying to build something more authentic.

This leaves me wondering, are there any other kit cars or classics I should be considering? What other cars would you recommend that are similar in cost/style/performance/accessibility/community support and other factors that are similar to the Cobra? Or is Cobra really the cream of the crop when it comes to a 2 seater open top/convertible sports car with looks and power? Miata's need not apply.

I know I'm asking a pretty biased crowd but I'm curious if anyone else had similar thoughts or could offer some considerations.

Thank you.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Daytona Coupe
GT40
Old 11-13-2021, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
Daytona Coupe
GT40
If a Cobra is outside his boundary box then these two are light years outside.

How about a Caterham (Lotus Seven, "The Prisoner" car)? They are lots simpler to build than a Cobra but still a two-seater roadster and from all indications, just as fun. Or dangerous. PS. There are many Lotus Seven kit builders, Caterham seems to be the top.
eschaider likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 11-13-2021 at 07:19 PM..
Old 11-13-2021, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
If a Cobra is outside his boundary box then these two are light years outside.
The Cobra is not outside of my boundary box. My question is more, 'before I commit to going down the Cobra path, are there any other cars I should consider that are similar to a Cobra?'

It could be another kit car or perhaps there's a classic car that makes sense to restore and could be had for a similar cost to a Cobra.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Take a look at the entire Factory Five lineup. If you see one you like, check around for a finished or nearly finished one at a good price.
t walgamuth likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 11-13-2021, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 8000/Kirkham, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

You might consider the original Lotus Elan. Historic giant killer of Cobras.

I am the original owner of an Elan that I restored after 50 years of ownership. Better Hp/weight ratio than the 289 Cobra. And handling is unparalleled. Lots of parts available. Very good worldwide support group (lotuselan.net). And the cars are not pricey.

Having said that I am going in the direction of embarking on a 289 Cobra myself. The Cobra would be a replica(more or less) of another car from my youth (CSX 2372). Probably won’t be as “fast” as my Lotus, but I’m not in a competition.

Last edited by nkb; 11-13-2021 at 08:39 PM..
Old 11-13-2021, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ariel Atom will give you more thrills than you can probably handle. Very light weight and a variety of power outputs. Handles like it's on magnetic rails with tremendous braking and if that doesn't make you smile, there may not be hope.
1985 CCX and twobjshelbys like this.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Go with the Cobra, I don’t see a down side, I’ve had Ferrari’s a Shelby GT 500KR convertible and a ton of other fun stuff. They are all fun to drive and they look great but a big block Cobra is tough to beat. Quite honestly if you shop around there are some good deals available.
Good luck Sir
Old 11-13-2021, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

How about a restomod style C2 Corvette Grand Sport or GTP racer replica from Mongoose Motorsports?
https://mongoosemotorsports.com/gran...t-5-movie-car/

Or a C1 replica "Concept 57" from Corvette central
https://www.corvettecentral.com/concept_57
Pop one of these bodies onto an Art Morrison chassis https://artmorrison.com/products/gt-...sis/53-62vette and drop in a LS crate motor and you have a classic looking roadster with all of the power, braking and handling of a modern day supercar. Something like this:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 11-14-2021, 06:39 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Caterham 260 spec and above.

1,100lbs, 148hp and up, a true, adult sized "Go Cart"

1985 CCX likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-14-2021, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BD #2229
Not Ranked     

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. Before I got sucked down the Cobra hole I was looking at Old MGA and Austin Healy. I love my Cobra and very happy with it.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There's always engine swaps into British sports cars like MGs, Triumphs and Austin-Healeys to consider. You can get a good idea of the range here: BritishV8 Forum:. The advantages are you can get cars with roll-up windows, convertible tops and some other minor creature comforts. You probably won't have to deal with jumping through the hoops of registering a kit car that some states put you through. On the other hand, you'll likely be dealing with rusty old cars that you will need to do some restoration work with before you even start the swap. If my home state didn't throw so many roadblocks into kit car registration I'd probably be driving a FF Daytona rather than my SBF-swapped Austin-Healey

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 11-14-2021, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlzEE Bebout View Post
Ariel Atom will give you more thrills than you can probably handle. Very light weight and a variety of power outputs. Handles like it's on magnetic rails with tremendous braking and if that doesn't make you smile, there may not be hope.
Yes. If you're looking for a car to drive that is street legal but a track monster the Atom will do nicely.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Well, there is really only one modern version of the cobra. Viper …
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 11-14-2021, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

Years ago, mid '80s, I went to the Bloomington Corvette meet. Mid America, there were two named almost the same, showed their round tube chassis for C2 Corvette Grand Sport and offered the parts to build the Grand Sport replica. This was way before Mongoose and Superformance offered their replicas. The theory was much like FFR and the "donor" builds.

I'd build a Grand Sport if I wasn't so far down the Cobra path. I've seen the Superformance, Mongoose and one of unknown heritage at Bloomington in St. Charles, IL. Like the various Cobra replicas, each had their good and bad points.

I'm really a Corvette guy in disguise, had a '67, '64 & '69 a long time ago.

Jim
Old 11-14-2021, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggaluut View Post
I'm looking for a project car that is going to be all about being fun to drive. ...
A Cobra Replica will meet this demand criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggaluut View Post
I like the look of the Cobra ... It's just the car that makes the most sense based on my performance and cost considerations. ...
A well built but not period correct Cobra (i.e. resto-mod) using quality parts will cost you about $50K by the time you are done. The farther from period correct you stray the more damage you will do to your resale value and interestingly your long term affection for the vehicle.

When you do decide to sell the car, as we all eventually do, you will discover that the farther from period correct you stray the lower the resale value of the car. It is not hard to turn a $50K car into a $30K (or less) car at resale time.

By contrast, a period correct or apparently period correct version of the car does a better job of maintaining it's value or God forbid even increasing in value. An additional consideration is that the more period correct the car is, the easier it is to sell because potential buyers come to places like CC, ask questions like you are asking and get answers like we are giving.

If the potential for reduced value at resale and increased difficulty in selling the vehicle does not bother you then by all means you should forge ahead on a rest-mod version of a Cobra that pleases you.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
A Cobra Replica will meet this demand criteria.

A well built but not period correct Cobra (i.e. resto-mod) using quality parts will cost you about $50K by the time you are done. The farther from period correct you stray the more damage you will do to your resale value and interestingly your long term affection for the vehicle.

When you do decide to sell the car, as we all eventually do, you will discover that the farther from period correct you stray the lower the resale value of the car. It is not hard to turn a $50K car into a $30K (or less) car at resale time.

By contrast, a period correct or apparently period correct version of the car does a better job of maintaining it's value or God forbid even increasing in value. An additional consideration is that the more period correct the car is, the easier it is to sell because potential buyers come to places like CC, ask questions like you are asking and get answers like we are giving.

If the potential for reduced value at resale and increased difficulty in selling the vehicle does not bother you then by all means you should forge ahead on a rest-mod version of a Cobra that pleases you.

Ed
Not only will deviating from a period correct build discount the price, but it will significantly extend the sale time. (The two are inexorably intertwined.)

Such deviations start with putting a GM engine into a Cobra
eschaider likes this.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Period correct is a bit of a loaded question. ERA are not period correct, the big blocks have square tubing, and most have inboard rear brakes, (only CSX2000 had those, even though AC said that was a bad idea,) and the small block cars have coil springs all around, yet they hold their value about as good as any replica, except for the Shelby CSX cars. A big block 428 is period correct, and 302s were put into a few racing Cobra's back in the day. You can back date a roller rocker 302 into a 289 or 260, for a small block MKI or II. And don't forget the AC289 MKIII cars, which are considered Cobra's today, after all, the C in COB and COX stands for Cobra! The MKIV cars, are pretty far from original, but they are worth far more then new. Wish I was smart enough to buy one of those 10 years ago!
Thanks to the movie Ford Vs Ferrari, I think most Cobra's will be worth at least the sum of their parts a decade from now. Why, because now, the love of the Cobra is not going to die with us Baby Boomers!
Old 11-15-2021, 09:20 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Yes. If you're looking for a car to drive that is street legal but a track monster the Atom will do nicely.
If you buy a new Atom, I am not sure how much of a project car that would be, unless you planned on doing your own upgrades after purchase.

Also since the Atom is sold as a complete running car as opposed to a kit or a roller, I am not sure how easy they would be to register in some states.

I live in Pennsylvania and it seems here, you would need to treat it as a kit car and buy it in roller form to do your own engine installation, plus add bumpers, dot lights, etc.

www.arielatomchat.com/forums/thread2700.html
Old 11-15-2021, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #816, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

What about a Sunbeam Tiger? Something also a bit different but has a cool factor is the Pantera...
twobjshelbys likes this.